Migrating everything to a new PC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
can't think of any good names

Migrating everything to a new PC?

Post by can't think of any good names » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, it's the best I could find.
I'm getting a new Windows 10 PC in a couple of days, specifically for more power to produce with. I've just realized that I have no idea how to move everything over. I hear that ableton is pretty lenient which makes it easy to transfer live, especially since I've only installed on one computer so far, but I have Komplete 10, Maschine 2, and countless other VSTs and drivers to move. How should I do this? Any advice? Is it possible to just move the VST folder over along with all the program files of subject?

Tagor

Re: Migrating everything to a new PC?

Post by Tagor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:15 pm

no its not - you need to re-register every single vst which comes with a serial ect....

a move like this needs 3-7 days until you get comfortable on your new system.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Live will just install and authorise fine. That's the easy bit. You wont need to call anyone up if you've only installed it once.

SONGS: Make a note of the file locations of your songs. My songs are in "F:\live songs" for instance. If you can make sure you make a similar path on your new computer, (so for me "F:\live songs"). Then when you load up the sets in Live they will just work (they will automatically find the sub-folder resources, wavs, etc.)

AUDIO FILES: If you keep an audio repository full of samples replicate that on your new computer (mine is "F:\audio"). Ableton Live keeps absolute file paths to resources, so if MySong.als thinks that I used a sample from "F:\audio\guitars n bass\bass riffs\vintage-bassriff.wav" then it will make your life easier if that file exists at that location.

PLUGINS: you will have to reinstall them all. If you have installed VSTs to a non-standard folder then in Live's preferences you will have to point it at that folder.

LEGACY LIBRARIES: if you keep a copy of a Live 8 library, you should copy that over and put it wherever you like, then in Live's preferences you will have to point it at that folder.
If you have Live 9 packs and decent internet - it's best to download them all again and install them one by one. Ableton update those packs sporadically and they have no system to inform users of installed pack updates, so your old pack versions are very likely out of date. Download newer pack versions while shaking your head that experienced developers didn't include any version control & management

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Been migrating my setups to new computers/drives for over a decade.

First thing as already suggested, take notes of EVERYTHING you use.

I have a complete detailed list broken into sections of things I need as a minimum:

- Drivers
- Windows Software (Multi-Monitor, Office, PDF reader etc, 7zip etc)
- Production Software (Live, Bomes, Custom scripts etc)
- VST Instruments
- VST Effects
- Sample Library's

Go through your Add/Remove programs to see what you have installed then start getting all the installers, licenses and keys ready.

Make note of the paths everything uses. This isn't always critical but sample libraries may be used for reference by projects so may break links when you open.

Make notes of system tweaks you need to make. In my case I need to load some custom registry files I have created to enable things like admin shares on windows 10, set a fixed IP address on my network for that machine, setup VNC software so I can access the machine from other locations, disable power saving features and automated defrags etc. Also double check that all your hardware will work on win10. I failed to do this when I did an upgrade from win7 to 10 and my old Presonus Firebox still "worked" but started having dropout issues and was considered "legacy" and unsupported by Presonus which resulted in another $700 purchase for a new interface!

Set aside a whole day to install everything and test and a few extra days to get things working correctly (in my case it can take 2 days to get everything installed and tested correctly and a few extra days to get windows the way I like). If it's the first time you have done it try and check things off a list and fill in anything you forgot to note down.

An extra thing I like to do is once I have a fully working setup again on a clean windows install I take an OS snapshot using Acronis and file this away just in case.

If you keep a log of what you did to get your system up and running again it will make it much quicker and smoother next time.

It is so much easier these days with things like Native Access and online iLok accounts to get your software up and running. Have never had issues getting things authorised and working again.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:10 am

jestermgee wrote: - Windows Software (Multi-Monitor, Office, PDF reader etc, 7zip etc)
I recommend Ninite for this purpose.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

ChangoM

Post by ChangoM » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Don't forget the little things like user created macros, presets, multis, etc. For example, in Kontakt, I have a fairly extensive Quickload section with shortcuts to my frequently used patches and all of the non-library instruments I have acquired over the years. Kontakt stores it deep within the user folder. I would hate to lose this.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:39 pm

ive been using splice for a few months now. it's awesome

https://splice.com/

save your ableton sets into your splice folder on one computer, then log into your other computer and carry on working on your set.

but yeah - any of your vst's and suchlike that you registered, you'll have to do again