Novation Launch Control XL / Produciton - Mixing, EQ etc..

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
Spoonless

Novation Launch Control XL / Produciton - Mixing, EQ etc..

Post by Spoonless » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Novation Launch Control XL controller for Ableton live.
I got this as I want a more hands on control of various tools used during a mix down stage. I want to use a controller as opposed to click and drag with the mouse.
I hope that it will also be easier, for example, in trying to find the ' sweet spot ' when EQ'ing a track / clip, Vocal or Guitar.

im thinking of things such as EQ and Compression for starters but it could also be used to control the EQ parameters of any plugins, iZotope etc..

Set to user mode I can midi map each of 24 knobs to reflect the 8 EQ options, in EQ8, each row for frequency, gain and Q.
The idea being that I can then press a button, or ' Focus ' on the Compressor and have control using the knobs / sliders.

Each time I save my set and then load up another etc, I have to remap. :(

Can someone point me in a direction of something that enables the use of the Novation XL unit in this manner without having to reload each time.
Of course, the exact configuration of the unit for my ' Mix ' sessions will develop over time.

I have searched, but only found snippets and thought maybe someone might already be doing this as it seems to me to be a common sense usage of this unit in conjuntion with Ableton Live.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Best Regards.

yur2die4

Re: Novation Launch Control XL / Produciton - Mixing, EQ etc..

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:41 pm

First I'll ask if you've tried the default setup for the controller?

The third row of knobs can map to whatever device is currently selected. Automatically without mapping.

This is sometimes referred to as 'blue hand' behavior. It gives you 8 parameters to control at a time with a bank select. In the case of the EQ I forget what each bank does but there is a handy note that shows up at the bottom of the screen when you switch banks.

For something like 24 knobs, to try to have an arrangement that does this is a lot more complicated. It's good at least that you have an idea of how you want it laid out. I'm a little stumped.

Spoonless

Post by Spoonless » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I tried the default mapping first, but there is already things mapped that I cover with the APC40.

I want to use the Launch Control XL as an extension to that.

As with EQ8 I have 8 bands to play with, if needed, I can map the 3 rows of 8 knobs to those bands parameters quite nicely.
I would then like to ' focus ' on compressor and then use the XL unit to control those parameters etc.

That's the idea so far anyway.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:25 pm

i bought one a few weeks ago too. i really like it. i bought the isotonik extension thing too :

https://isotonikstudios.com/sigabort/launchcontrol-xxl/

i haven't used the whole setup much as i've been busy with other stuff but as rows of 8 knobs automatically map to the first 8 controls in a device and you can switch between devices in a row on a track, i've been setting up all sorts of racks as it automaps to the 8 macros in the rack, and with those macros then mapped to effects and instruments so far it works amazingly well. i've also been setting up a bit of my own preset using MFL so i can use it to do other stuff too, like solo, mute, record, trigger, stop clips etc. a work in progress but very happy so far

Spoonless

Post by Spoonless » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Hmm.
Yes was looking at that.

So you can save all you do and when you reopen all of your mapping is there. ?

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:40 pm

hi - yeah i havent mapped much because with the control surface thing i found i dont really have to but ive done a few things and the midi mappings are still there - 5 of them at the moment in preset user 1. my macro mappings are still there too

if you load up the same set the mappings should still be there :?

just guessing - did you do something in the midi prefs that might have made them disappear?

or did you do something in the XL editor like save a new preset or something?

Spoonless

Post by Spoonless » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:57 pm

I am pretty sure I did not change anything that resulted in any mappings being erased.
I just purchased the Isotonik scripts for Launch Control XXL.

Starting it all, it does look to be what I am after.
I might customize a little, but first to understand what it already offers.

I will post any updates changes and progress here.

Thanks again.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 pm

DId you ever figure this out?

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 pm

MIDI Mappings are saved with your default template. Map everything the way you want it, then Options>Preferences>File/Folder>Save Current Set as Default>Save. The next time you open the set, all the mappings should be retained. I have a LaunchControl (among other things) mapped this way for permanent dedicated functions. I hate banking around...if I have to bank, I'd rather just do whatever I'm trying to do with a mouse. But having a bunch of knobs/pads/faders etc each solely dedicated to a single function...that is hugely beneficial to the speed of my workflow.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:18 am

The LaunchControl XXL script extends the blue hand mapping across all 24 pots. You can further customise how thee mappings work (without having to manually map them each time) by using our PrEditor Mapping Utility.

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/isotonik-preditor/

Cheers
D

younusmogul

Post by younusmogul » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:05 am

S4racen wrote:The LaunchControl XXL script extends the blue hand mapping across all 24 pots. You can further customise how thee mappings work (without having to manually map them each time) by using our PrEditor Mapping Utility.
Hi,

Is it fair to say that PrEditor is like Automap?

Automap doesn't seem to work with my Arturia V Collection 6 synths anymore. Users in the the Arturia forum seem to agree that it stopped working after the Windows 10 update. It's made my Novation SL MkII and zero SL MkII pretty much obsolete. Arturia and Novation both seem slow to want to do anything about it.

Would the PrEditor let me create maps for my SL MkII and Zero SL MkII? Or is it only for the controllers mentioned in the description?

Thanks,
Younus

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Only for the controllers listed as it uses custom control surface scripts that pull in the original scripts and then add to them.
Cheers
D

elvish_paisley

Post by elvish_paisley » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:34 am

If I understand I am setting up something similar. I'm building an EQ rack for each channel to pair with the default factory mixer (at least in groups of 8).

I'm building an effect rack and mapping the parameters I want to control to the macros in the rack. Then I can adjust the range of invert values in the device mapping. The device and the mappings can be saved in you user library of effects racks.

I'm then using the Novation Components software (https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en ... ents-guide) to edit one of the templates close to what I want (can review each template in Components to see MIDI channels, values, LED configurations, etc...). I'm saving the edited template to the Novation where it can be accessed using the User button.

I also extensively use Ableton templates to save midi mappings (and other setups, channel routing, default effects, etc...).

This way I can load the rack with the effects and mapping configurations into a Live set, select the saved custom template on the Novation, map the knobs to the macros once and save it for later.

The components software seems great for other Novation devices, but is pretty lacking for the Launch Control XL (generally lacking documentation/support...). Editing the templates is a little clunky and time consuming, but hopefully only have to do it once...

If you are interested in diving deep into custom mappings and bulk editing the .syx file using hex editors and python and stuff I found this. https://www.reddit.com/r/novationcircui ... &context=3

Seems interesting, but maybe not what I want to do right now...

Hope that helps someone,
Cheers!