Convert MIDI CC to Program Change?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChangoM

Convert MIDI CC to Program Change?

Post by ChangoM » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:30 am

Is there a MIDI effect that will send a MIDI program change upon receipt of a CC command? The "program change" section of the Notes Box sends the desired program change, but only when the clip is launched. I need to be able to send the program change whenever a specified CC is received. Help greatly appreciated.

yur2die4

Re: Convert MIDI CC to Program Change?

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:40 am

If you have max for live, I think Robert Henke has a device which is a knob that can transmit program change.

twistedkeys

Post by twistedkeys » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:02 am

ChangoM wrote:Is there a MIDI effect that will send a MIDI program change upon receipt of a CC command? The "program change" section of the Notes Box sends the desired program change, but only when the clip is launched. I need to be able to send the program change whenever a specified CC is received. Help greatly appreciated.
You could try the free ReaPlugs (http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/) plugin. Then download the JS MIDI effect from the forum site (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96152). Hope this helps!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:25 pm

I use Bomes MT for such things.
For this one use case it might be a bit much, but you can do sooo much more with it.

For just this use case look into Macrobats (part of any clyphx install) nK Midi Racks. It's free too.

ChangoM

Post by ChangoM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Thank you all for the kind assistance, but I'm not sure any of these address my particular requirement. If I am wrong, please correct me. Let me describe in a bit more detail what I am attempting.

I am using Composer Tools Pro (https://www.midikinetics.com/products/c ... tools-pro/) with Lemur on an iPad to create presets to control articulations in MIDI instruments (mostly Kontakt libraries - strings, brass, winds, etc). If I have multiple tracks, each with a different instrument with different keyswitches and MIDI assignments, how does the app running on the iPad know which Live track is currently selected/armed? Composer Tools Pro has a solution. If you push a RECALL button on the iPAD and it sends midi CC127 (or any other CC) to Live. It then expects a midi Program Change command back - a different one for each instrument so that the corresponding preset can be loaded on the iPad. So I really need a midi effect (or some other mechanism), one for each track, that be configured to send a specific program change when it receives CC127. Apparently other DAWS such as Cubase have this capability natively.

Help much appreciated.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Do these programs use a MIDI remote script in Live?
Because I'm fairly certain they don't work with just PC messages to achieve the functionality you describe.

ChangoM

Post by ChangoM » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:52 pm

TomKern wrote:Do these programs use a MIDI remote script in Live?
Because I'm fairly certain they don't work with just PC messages to achieve the functionality you describe.
I apologize if I'm not explaining this clearly - my understanding is a little murky. First of all there are programs running on Windows (loopMIDI and LemurDaemon) which allow the iPad to send and receive MIDI commands to the PC via WiFi. In Live, these MIDI ports are seen in the Preferences and are set for input and output. So the iPad program wants to know which track is currently selected. It sends CC127 and then expects to get a PC message back from the DAW so that it knows which articulation preset to load. So I need to have the DAW in response to CC127 send back, say, PC45 for Track 1 in which a violins instrument loaded, PC46 for Track 2 where violas are loaded, etc. I have configured the iPad app to load the preset for violins for PC45, violas for PC46, etc.

Thanks for trying hard to help me and I apologize again if this is unclear.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:00 pm

ChangoM wrote: In Live, these MIDI ports are seen in the Preferences and are set for input and output.
Whatever is listed in that preference slot as Control Surface is the Midi remote script that is responsible for translating the Midi input to actual actions. That script is full of Phyton code that interacts with Lives API. There is a lot more than program changes going on.