Tricks to make Live detect Push#1?

Discuss Push with other users.
Per Boysen

Tricks to make Live detect Push#1?

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:05 pm

THis morning Live 9 (suite) suddenly doesn't light up my Push#1. the Push display shows the typical message "Please start Live to play..." Does anyone know a way to mend this showstopper limbo?

The project has not changed since I saved it yesterday. What I did yesterday was to unfreeze a track with a heavy piano Kontakt instrument and then freeze it again. Nothing else. But today the Push can't be used, which is very bad for my business. I will have to poke in notes from the computer keyboard or edit in notes by the screen. Ouch.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Stromkraft

Re: Tricks to make Live detect Push#1?

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Per Boysen wrote:THis morning Live 9 (suite) suddenly doesn't light up my Push#1. the Push display shows the typical message "Please start Live to play..." Does anyone know a way to mend this showstopper limbo?

The project has not changed since I saved it yesterday. What I did yesterday was to unfreeze a track with a heavy piano Kontakt instrument and then freeze it again. Nothing else. But today the Push can't be used, which is very bad for my business. I will have to poke in notes from the computer keyboard or edit in notes by the screen. Ouch.
Hello Per!

Well, does your MIDI preferences look like this?

Are you sure the USB cable is good? How does the Push react when you start Live? Does the display just stay like that? Colors on the pads?
Make some music!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Oh, sorry that I forgot to mention that. My MIDI prefs are still listing Push as the Control Surface, as expected.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Per Boysen wrote:Oh, sorry that I forgot to mention that. My MIDI prefs are still listing Push as the Control Surface, as expected.
And the other questions? You want to make sure you have a connection to Live.
Make some music!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Stromkraft wrote:And the other questions? You want to make sure you have a connection to Live.
Thanks! Yes, the connection is in place; because if plugging out/in the Push the Win7 PC gives that typical OS sound (of some external device being handled)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:And the other questions? You want to make sure you have a connection to Live.
Thanks! Yes, the connection is in place; because if plugging out/in the Push the Win7 PC gives that typical OS sound (of some external device being handled)

Start the Push without the cable inserted. The pads should shift in colors until you insert the cable. This happens?

If so, and when inserted you get that LED message before starting Live and it doesn't activate when you start Live, then try and disable Push in the preferences and then back again in a new fresh set. If nothing improves, try to delete the Live preferences and restart.
Make some music!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Stromkraft wrote: Start the Push without the cable inserted. The pads should shift in colors until you insert the cable. This happens?
Yes.
If so, and when inserted you get that LED message before starting Live and it doesn't activate when you start Live, then try and disable Push in the preferences and then back again in a new fresh set. If nothing improves, try to delete the Live preferences and restart.
Ok, I'll try that.

FYI, I did some troubleshooting here:
- Besides Live, Push does not work with Bitwig either, anymore.
- I moved the Push's USB cable over to a Mac and then the pads light up well with both the PXT-G utility (for work in Logic) and with Live. But not with Bitwig (Bitwig control script).

So to sum it up, the Push is dead on Windows 7 but only bad in Bitwig on Mac OS.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: Start the Push without the cable inserted. The pads should shift in colors until you insert the cable. This happens?
Yes.
Ok, I'll try that.

FYI, I did some troubleshooting here:
- Besides Live, Push does not work with Bitwig either, anymore.
- I moved the Push's USB cable over to a Mac and then the pads light up well with both the PXT-G utility (for work in Logic) and with Live. But not with Bitwig (Bitwig control script).

So to sum it up, the Push is dead on Windows 7 but only bad in Bitwig on Mac OS.
Ok, an inhibited guess then would address the internal Windows path to the software. For BitWig on MacOS, that could be a different cause. Just guessing unfortunately.

When I've encountered this, maybe just a couple of times in Mac in more than three years, a restart of the OS helped. I don't remember this in Windows 7 myself, but that have fallen out with me for the last 2.
Make some music!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Stromkraft wrote:disable Push in the preferences and then back again in a new fresh set.
Done! A fresh set comes up with the Push chosen, as we would expect. But still, the pads and menus on the PUsh don't light up.
If nothing improves, try to delete the Live preferences and restart.
Hm, aren't you thinking Mac OS now? The issue is only with Live on the Win7 machine. Is there a way to delete pref's in a Windows system too?
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:disable Push in the preferences and then back again in a new fresh set.
Done! A fresh set comes up with the Push chosen, as we would expect. But still, the pads and menus on the PUsh don't light up.
Is there a visible red rectangle in Live around the clips in session?
Per Boysen wrote:Hm, aren't you thinking Mac OS now? The issue is only with Live on the Win7 machine. Is there a way to delete pref's in a Windows system too?
No. Of course there is. 8O

How to reset Live
Make some music!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Stromkraft wrote: How to reset Live
Thanks a lot, Stromkraft! Trashing the Win7 pref's brought my Push#1 back to life.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Ouch. Now my PUsh is working again, but Live doesn't detect my third-party VSTs, nor my iLook. A message on the screen informs me: "Live 9.7.1 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Guess I'm having a bad day here :-) But thanks for the hint on how to trash Windows pref's! Doing so brought another good thing: Push also got back on-line with Bitwig, so I will keep on in Bitwig now to keep up the workflow. Bitwig has some other problems recalling certain Kontakt instances with saved patches, but as version 2.0 is just around the corner it makes sense for me now to suffer that issue (I actually moved into Live in the hope to be able to work faster, but things haven't turned out that way)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Per Boysen wrote:Ouch. Now my PUsh is working again, but Live doesn't detect my third-party VSTs, nor my iLook. A message on the screen informs me: "Live 9.7.1 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Guess I'm having a bad day here :-) But thanks for the hint on how to trash Windows pref's! Doing so brought another good thing: Push also got back on-line with Bitwig, so I will keep on in Bitwig now to keep up the workflow. Bitwig has some other problems recalling certain Kontakt instances with saved patches, but as version 2.0 is just around the corner it makes sense for me now to suffer that issue (I actually moved into Live in the hope to be able to work faster, but things haven't turned out that way)

Have you tried deactivating the VST folder and then reactivating again?
Make some music!