Anybody using Focusrite audio interfaces?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Anybody using Focusrite audio interfaces?

Post by kb420 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:38 pm

I'm just curious to see if anyone is using Focusrite audio interfaces. I just picked up a Scarlett 18i8, and so far I'm impressed. Installation was relatively easy. Installing some of the extra included software was a pain in the ass because of reboots for Gobbler and Ilok updates, but overall not too bad.

Anyone else using Focusrite? What are you thoughts?
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

jlgrimes

Re: Anybody using Focusrite audio interfaces?

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:47 am

kb420 wrote:I'm just curious to see if anyone is using Focusrite audio interfaces. I just picked up a Scarlett 18i8, and so far I'm impressed. Installation was relatively easy. Installing some of the extra included software was a pain in the ass because of reboots for Gobbler and Ilok updates, but overall not too bad.

I bought the same interface for the band Im in but we haven't used yet.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:42 pm

I've owned a Scarlett 2i4 and 18i6. Both are great interfaces and Focusrite support was always amazing whenever I needed help. Getting the 18i6 to work smoothly with my PC was a bit tricky, but they helped me sort it out and it worked flawlessly after that. Quick response too.

At one point, I blew out the USB circuit of my 18i6 during a lightning storm just a few days before the warranty ran out. This was on a B stock unit, but it was no problem. Shipped it off and got it back a couple weeks later with a new main board. No charge for the repairs and they were super friendly throughout the entire process.

In case you haven't seen it, last year, Focusrite started a monthly plugin give-away to registered owners of their interfaces. This month, it's Syntonis, an amazing sounding chorus module from D16 Audio Group. That gets you access to Frontier as well, a broadcast-style limiter. And you also get your choice of three virtual pianos from the Addictive Keys series. I picked up the Mark One electric piano (not like I really needed another virtual piano, but hey, it was free... LOL). Sounds terrific.

So yeah, big fan of Focusrite and their products.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Absolutely happy with the Saffire Pro40 (i went 2 years on tour with it) now augmented by the Octopre Dynamic mkII. Quite solid 20 outs solution. Occasional audio drop outs that need reselecting the audio driver (happened 2 times in 70 gigs), but i wouldn't blame the soundcard without a doubt.
The MixControl Software is quite not easy to understand...But in the end it's quite powerful.
The support is AMAZING. They answer e-mails with details walkthroughs and pictures. I even got them on the phone when i had an urgent matter to solve and they were able to solve my probs.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

DaveRoberts

Post by DaveRoberts » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:41 pm

I recently got the Scarlett 2i2 and it works fine, quiet as a titmouse, no latency, quality sound.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:12 pm

So far, I'm loving it. The drivers are rock solid. No occasional static or connectivity problems like I used to get from my Motu. I love the build quality. All of the knobs feel like they are really solid and strong. Sound quality is super clean. Super low latency.

Basically, it's a thumbs up all around.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:18 am

I own a Focusrite Saffire pro 40, and I love it. Before this I owned a Lexicon IOnix FW810 - but it sounded much duller and lifeless.....

I patch in my old Lexicon MPX1 FX unit on S/PDif for reverb at the monitoring stage and So I can record without reverb, but my vocalist has some reverb on her voice monitoring channel.

I think the software of the Focusrite is at start a bit daunting, but once you get to know it it's very powerfull.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:45 pm

I'm using an 18i6 since a couple of months (bought second hand) and happy with it. Solid build quality and I can plug in a couple of synths, mic and guitar easily in one box.

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:51 pm

For my band I got a Saffire Pro 14. Had some issues, but was the computer's faulty(/homemade) power supply to the firewire card that was messing it up, but since getting that fixed, its really reliable, and good quality sound/lack of latency.

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:52 am

I bought a Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen interface not so long ago, and it's been great. No problems as of yet.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

analogcabin

Post by analogcabin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Love my Clarett 8Pre-X
Super solid drivers and no latency to speak of with Thunderbolt

billpayer

Post by billpayer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:38 pm

I've recently bought a Pro 40 to replace my Profire 2626 and after an initial issue getting the drivers set up on 10.9.5 its been absolutely rock solid, highly, highly recommended and a big upgrade on my Profire 2626.
(Bill Payer|3745 SoundSystem|Chome)

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:01 pm

So far, nothing but good things are being said about the Focusrite interfaces. I never considered them before a few weeks ago, and hadn't really heard too much about them either. I'm glad I started this thread. It seems like a lot of people are using them and are pleased with them. Nice!!!!!
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

claytoncramer

Post by claytoncramer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:06 pm

kb420 wrote:I'm just curious to see if anyone is using Focusrite audio interfaces. I just picked up a Scarlett 18i8, and so far I'm impressed. Installation was relatively easy. Installing some of the extra included software was a pain in the ass because of reboots for Gobbler and Ilok updates, but overall not too bad.

Trying to use a Scarlett 2i2 with Ableton Live 9. There is apparently something I need to do in Control Panel to record a stereo track from the Scarlett and another from the PC's mike input. But I can't figure out what I have to do to make that work.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:43 pm

claytoncramer wrote:

Trying to use a Scarlett 2i2 with Ableton Live 9. There is apparently something I need to do in Control Panel to record a stereo track from the Scarlett and another from the PC's mike input. But I can't figure out what I have to do to make that work.
You can't have two interfaces selected as inputs.
If you're on mac you could make an "aggregated device". Google will then be your friend.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1