Live rewired to Reaper question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Paul92

Live rewired to Reaper question

Post by Paul92 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi all, I was wondering if it was possible to trigger midi iteams in reaper with live's session view and if so any help would be appreciated. I'm wanting to try out different arrangements and play chunks of midi like one shot samples. Thanks

fisto

Re: Live rewired to Reaper question

Post by fisto » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:20 pm

not that I know of.
You could use Reapers ReaRoute and and don't go the rewire route maybe.

But you could try "Playtime for Reaper" which is a native Session View Extension for Reaper. Just like Ableton Live but with more options :)

http://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/

Paul92

Post by Paul92 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks, yeah I just bought playtime today so I'll see how that goes. I just like live and was hoping to work it in. I'll try reroute too.

fisto

Post by fisto » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:32 am

Rearoute can be cool too, because it lets you keep your full Ableton Live capabilities like VST, Midi, Control Surfaces...Unfortunetely in rewire slave mode Live looses all that. Really hope it would work in Rewire too because I'd also like to run a full Live in Rewire Slave mode.

But, Reaper has it's full feature set when run as Rewire Slave I think, at least it keeps the VSTs. So you could try that too maybe :)
But Playtime is quite deep. You can basically have midi-clips sequencing Audio clips and building arrangemtns with multiple "micro-arrangent-clips" which are basically just telling Playtime what to play next. You can really go crazy with this micro-arrangement as you can load multiple playtime instances.

Think of it like multiple session views, but all in one program, and all full sequencable :D
Live on steroids.

Paul92

Post by Paul92 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:32 am

Thanks, I'm gonna have to give the pt manual and your post more study. I had no idea it could do all that. I've just made projects in live and projects in reaper separately but always wanted to combine the things I like most about both. Sounds like it's gonna blow my mind...

Oh yeah and I keep reading the reroute is better than rewire. I found a tutorial on how to set it up on the reaper forums. I'm just still learning, although I'm sure it just seems advanced now but will click soon. Thanks again.