pan individual notes

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
vincent_2

pan individual notes

Post by vincent_2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:35 pm

hello Ableton,
is there any chance MPE made (or will soon make) possible the panning of individual MIDI note ?
(For those who would answer too fast : I'm aware of the automation, but I'm not talking about global panning here, think of your note release that would get panned badly).

chapelier fou

Re: pan individual notes

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:07 pm

It's more complicated than that.
The instrument itself should be able to do that. And that's not the case for now.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 pm

You could make a M4L device that will rotate or allocate random chains for each new incoming MIDI Note.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 pm

I really want this option in Simpler / Sampler. Especially for hats and other rhytmic parts, but also on all kind of atmospheres and pads.
Plus, another step to proper granular synthesis ;)

vincent_2

Post by vincent_2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:00 am

@chapelier fou : yes, precisely: instruments should do that. That's why I was asking ableton ! ;)

Among other clumsy techniques to do that, I do the following (as a good compromise between precise panning and lightweight-ness) : you can have two tracks with the same synth panned left and right. Both tracks receive the same MIDI notes. Then you put a M4L patch before each synth that will modulate the velocity based on whatever MIDI ctrl automation you may like to use for panning. The left track velocities will be multiplied by [pan_value/127] and the right by [1 - (pan_value/127)]

The drawbacks being that *velocity modulation* is not exactly like *amplitude modulation* (given that velocity can also affect harmonics, pitch enveloppe and the like). But this does the job quite ok.

I don't see how much of a problem it would be to implement MPE style in native ableton synth (with per-channel control).
Actually, I don't quite get how MIDI channels are used in a live MIDI-synth chain... it seems to me it is just used before the track as a selector, but then the info is not usable anymore... Is there any documentation anywhere on that topic ?

vincent_2

Post by vincent_2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:06 am

antic604 wrote:"
EDIT: don't know what 'MPE' is, so maybe my answer is irrelevant; sorry if that's the case
@antic604 : MPE = "Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression", used by so-called "3D-notes" or "expressive" interfaces like Roli Seabord, Joué, LinnStrument, Soundplane, McMillen K-Board, etc.

It essentially uses a round-robin channel allocation for each new MIDI-note, allowing per-note modulation.

more details : http://expressiveness.org/2015/04/24/mi ... ession-mpe

vincent_2

Post by vincent_2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:17 am

antic604 wrote: If you want to modulate panning by velocity, you can easily do it the way I described above using velocity zones in the instrument rack (https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/instr ... city-zones)
No, I want to modulate panning (or whatever synth parameter) *per-note* with a MIDI-CC (or whatever automation).
The technique I descibed above is using velocity as a way of cross-fading between 2 synths panned left and right.
But the panning is not *depending on* velocity.
Not sure I managed to explain it clearly, but I am aware of velocity zones and this is not what I mean here.

vincent_2

Post by vincent_2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:58 am

@antic604 : damnit you're right.
How could I not see that simple solution before ??
thanks for opening my mind to new chaining delights.
cheers