Where can I find an online tutor for EDM production?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Negative X

Where can I find an online tutor for EDM production?

Post by Negative X » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:20 am

Been messing with Ableton for years on and off with no sign of improvement. I'm tired of getting stuck into EDM production for a week, then getting stuck in an 8 bar loop and stopping out of frustration, then coming back months later only to have the cycle repeat itself. I have a low attention span and it's a problem.

So, just like I have people expecting me to show up for work, I want to have someone expecting me to show up for EDM production. AKA a tutor. I think it will help me stick to what I want to do.

Any ideas?

hps909

Re: Where can I find an online tutor for EDM production?

Post by hps909 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:48 am

isnt deadmouse doing some online course thingo i keep getting you tube ads about it
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Take a look at some of the Berklee/Coursera online classes. Some of them run continuously, but others start on a defined date and you have one week to finish each assignment and review your peers. They have courses as short as four weeks and as long as twelve weeks. A lot of the shorter ones are free too. I've taken their Music Production, Ableton Live, Musicianship, and Synthesizer classes, and all of them have helped me improve.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

accessrequired

Post by accessrequired » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:00 am

The deadmau5 master class was great BUT it's geared more toward the intermediate producer. I would recommend it to anyone, but just know you have to have a general knowledge of Ableton before taking his course.
Alienware 15 VR2, Live 9.7, Akai MPK249 controller, Roland JDXI Hybrid synth, scarlett interface, JBL monitors, line 6 and behringer amps, 4+ guitars.

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:42 am

The way you describe your hassles, I see an exact fit for Mike Monday. Look him up on YouTube; he has plenty of free videos.

Your problems aren't technical or musical, but mental. A course specific to EDM production ("how do I make bassline X") is not what you need, but a toolbox of creative strategies to help you deal with these phases of frustration is.

That's what Mike does. He makes you sit down every single day and write music, no matter how shitty.
That'll teach you how to take some distance from the result and it'll help you accept that you will make a lot of shitty music in your lifetime.
In the meantime, your music writing becomes a habit, you're learning tons of stuff and you're not going to stop for months anymore, which is indeed detrimental to progress.

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 pm

Chris Vine posted a link, in another thread, to a site with some good tutorials on it. Very handy.

http://patches.zone/tutorials-archive

Again, thanks for the link Chris.

Yeah, I've just thought, you probably know how to use Live, but just want a tutor to teach you how to go further.

In that case Tarekith has done a few good articles, Arrangements and Transitions etc. Give him a shout.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Trust me on this one. I was in your shoes a year ago. I found the best possible teacher on the internet who is also the coolest cat you will ever meet. Plus his rates are lower than any teacher. He is Ableton Certfifed, is a gigging Bass player and DJ, knows controllers like the back of his hand, sound design guru, and can help you with anything you can think off. I wanted to quit after a few months because I could not get Ableton or Push. In 2 or 3 weeks, I was using Push exclusively without my mouse.

He is now such a close friend of mine, I am moving from NY to Austin TX to go pro as a musician as my mentor Jimmy Allison lives in Austin. I am going to have him in my apt everyday. But for the first year, we used a video service he has setup, he records the lesson and than sends it to you.

I get nothing out of this except helping you get better on Ableton and help Jimmy make a living as a full time musician.

http://austinabletontutor.com/

I will go as far and reimburse you for the lesson if you do not like it. Or better yet, I have a 10 pack paid for and you can use one of my lessons for free. PM me if interested and I will call Jimmy and tell him you are using one of my lessons. Unfortunately I can only do this for the OP.

Anyone having any struggles with any aspect of Ableton, education is a must.

Jimmy is the best.

Best of luck to everyone on their journey

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Forgot to mention I am enrolled in the DeadMau5 course as well.

jpga

Post by jpga » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Faderpro.com
D.Ramirez is briljant

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:38 pm

The Deadmau5 masterclass was ok, and of course there are many great masterclasses and tutorials but I think what the OP is looking for is a scheduled class- or lesson-with-actual-teacher to give him/her structure and a mental push to actually sit down and do work. I can totally understand, as I have the same issue sometimes. Not everyone has this "drive" to always be creating music and motivate themselves, even though they generally enjoy music production. Sometimes it helps to actually have a weekly schedule were you just have to make something, so you don't get too stuck in the "tweak a loop forever without a deadline" mode. I think this is also the basis of Mike Monday's courses, to get you to just put in the time regularly and finish tunes, even if they are not "perfect", simply because the only way to get better is to get through those imperfect (bad, crap, shitty etc ;)) tracks to get out the good stuff.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 pm

snakedogman wrote:The Deadmau5 masterclass was ok, and of course there are many great masterclasses and tutorials but I think what the OP is looking for is a scheduled class- or lesson-with-actual-teacher to give him/her structure and a mental push to actually sit down and do work. I can totally understand, as I have the same issue sometimes. Not everyone has this "drive" to always be creating music and motivate themselves, even though they generally enjoy music production. Sometimes it helps to actually have a weekly schedule were you just have to make something, so you don't get too stuck in the "tweak a loop forever without a deadline" mode. I think this is also the basis of Mike Monday's courses, to get you to just put in the time regularly and finish tunes, even if they are not "perfect", simply because the only way to get better is to get through those imperfect (bad, crap, shitty etc ;)) tracks to get out the good stuff.
I can also suggest to form a producer group (email, facebook, whatever) and share commitments and report to the group regularly with results, thoughts and reflections.

To create music (finish tracks in Mike Monday terms) is more important than getting knowledge before you start. MM has a free starter thing now for some recurring thing called One Mission, that doesn't bind you to continue, that presents some of his core tools. Only these 7 are gold, also for the experienced in many cases. People already churning out tracks should probably just continue with that.

I realize this is sidestepping the OP's question somewhat. But production techniques can also be learned in parallel with "how to be productive" classes like MM's. A personal trainer probably can teach both approaches but I assume this varies.
Make some music!

Jay_NJ

Post by Jay_NJ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 pm

OP - You might want to take EasyWorkflow up on his offer. If not, go for the Deadmau5 course. I used to have no problem cranking out tracks, but over the past few years, seem to have lost the motivation to finish anything, so I guess I'm sort of in the same position as you. Everything I've heard about the Deadmau5 course suggests it addresses this exact issue.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:09 pm

I can wholeheartedly recommend Point Blank. Just finished off my Ableton Diploma. So great for getting you out of a creative rut!

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:08 pm

I just wrote a blog post about using tutorials:
http://digitalgeist.com/blog/2017/2/23/ ... ds-on-work
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com