PUSH with other MIDI controllers?

Discuss Push with other users.
soundklinik 33

PUSH with other MIDI controllers?

Post by soundklinik 33 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:05 am

Got a question for users of PUSH with additional midi controller(s).

Do you use a second midi controllers with Push? How and for what do you use it?

I have a PCR-300 with plenty of buttons, pots, etc, and mapped it to some functions that push already has, like mutes, tracks etc...but I am finding it a bit constrained, from a point of view that I have to use a default template to match the CCs and so everything is in "double". It is handy for something but I wonder if there is a better use of it.

Is it better to use the PCR for other VSTs like Reaktor, (where are some that can't be mapped) but can be midi learned (in advance) and used?
I have no problem mapping and assigning etc...but would like to make the best use of the PCR.

Do you have any tips for a use of a second controller?

Also I'm not sure that it is possible to make several different templates with different CC layouts and save it. Is it?

Thanks
Last edited by soundklinik 33 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
iPad-AIR 2, Lenovo x220-laptop, Squarp Pyramid, Elektron Digitakt

jestermgee

Re: PUSH with other MIDI controllers?

Post by jestermgee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:44 am

You have quite the first world problem there... having hardware you are not really sure how to fit it together to make it work for you :D

I have owned a lot of controllers and gear in my time and if I ever find myself wondering this kind of question, I sell it or put it aside. That's me though.

Personally my current studio setup (MIDI) is a Push2, Mackie MCU, Komplete Kontrol S61 and a Launchpad.

My MCU can be almost replaced by Push itself but I personally like faders and having quick access to both see and feel them without even a look. Also allows independant track controls from performance with Push.

The KK keyboard is my go to for finding sounds, playing melodies and doing automation but I do switch between Push and my KK a lot for all the above because they are kind of mirrored in those areas. I can come up with different melodies playing on Push than on the Keyboard but I always use Push for drums.

My launchpad is the old MK1 version and simply sits close to my keyboard (which is away from the computer a bit) to act as a clip recorder or player.

I seldom map CC controls to anything but rather use pre-mapped controls from my instrument templates that load up in Push and KK so I have everything auto mapped anyway.

soundklinik 33

Post by soundklinik 33 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:26 am

No I don't, you just misunderstood the question... not looking for a patronising answer of "what to do with it", but more what kind of MIDI setup others use. :roll:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:39 am

He told you exactly how he uses his midi controllers, which was what you asked. I didn't see anything patronizing in his answer.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 am

Yeah and I even added a smiley as a "joke" but was probably tldr

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Since Push buttons change function depending on what you're doing, redundancy is kind of a good thing to have.

Something like channel volume controls is always handy. Push excels more in device control than channel control so it helps.

When in device mode it can get annoying determining what channel to be controlling. I would map buttons on the PCR to channel select.

Another thing about Push is that it rarely stays in one place when it comes to controlling maybe, master parameters. But that more comes down to whether you're doing live performance or production. With production you're probably better off leaving that stuff to mouse control. But for live performance you'd probably want access to some broad master functions.

If you what to get super advanced, you can implement ClyphX features. There is xcontrols which gives you a lot of unique functions you might not think of otherwise. For instance, you can have a button dedicated to adding a delay or EQ effect. Or you can do snapshots and switch between them.

As for midi learn, that too is a great possibility. Midi learn functionality seems to only work when that channel is armed. So if you have multiple vsts that support midi learn, you can get away with having one preset on your PCR dedicated to midi learn and the other preset dedicate to Live global controls.

soundklinik 33

Post by soundklinik 33 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks for your reply.
I have been looking at the links you posted and mainly the DDC from NativeKontrol that seems to do exactly what I need.

My main problem is that while PUSH updates itself instantly, my controller doesn't.
So I decided to map only a few necessary CCs from Ableton and leave the rest (of buttons etc) to control software synths.

What I would really like is if I could make my controller work "per channel", meaning I would assign only ONE channel and its solo/rec./volume/etc from Ableton and if I moved to a next channel or track the same controls would work on the active channel.
This way I would use minimum of pots, buttons and sliders and have the rest to control synths.
Sort of a sub system. Why assign the same controls 8 times if one could do the job by moving from track to track...
Cheers

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:12 pm

There is a control surface script called 'selected track control', or stc.

There is a long thread on here for how to use and customize it. It has a lot of features but also accepts midi notes, which can sometimes complicate things unless you predetermine a midi channel for that.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:19 pm

used a lot off midi controllers but now use a Behringer BCR2000 next to a push2 for live gigs.
Once you set it up for the first time....which is a pain....it's one off the most flexible, easy, cheap and fast controllers around.

soundklinik 33

Post by soundklinik 33 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks all for feedback:)

will check out the thread:)

BCR2000 was one of my favorite controllers...had a few.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:19 am

its only by application, that you can figure out what setup you want. its best to first start off ultra simple, and make some restrictions. that makes your decisions alot fewer.

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:40 pm

I picked up a Komplete Kontrol S61 last November or so and with Push 2 it's been amazing. I was worried it would be "too much" but with Komplete 11 and it's instant mapping - and using it as an instrument rack - I can pretend I'm a virtuoso. :)
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com