MIDI syncing iPad to tr-8 help please

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

MIDI syncing iPad to tr-8 help please

Post by mickmike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi
I'm hoping someone can help me, as driving me nuts. I've got a small hardware set up with a tr-8 acting as master, triggering xoxbox, microbrute, volcas and circuit via Kenton midi box. I want to incorporate ipad apps, esp gadget ( or other apps ) and have tracks triggered by, and synced to tr-8. I have an iconnectivity iconnectmidi1. This is the cables with small box in the middle version. I'm doing this mainly to trigger iOS app pad sounds, and strings. I cannot get it working. I dunno if The iconnectmidi is the best equipment. I don't mind spending a little £ if needed. I've checked the midi settings on the apps I've tried, but getting nowhere. Help, advice, walk through would be hugely appreciated. Ta

yur2die4

Re: MIDI syncing iPad to tr-8 help please

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:23 pm

You should be able to use almost any USB audio interface or midi controller that has midi input.

The hard part is finding the right apps that accept whatever time method your tr-8 uses.

There are two that use time code and synchronize with Link. One I think is called midi-link-sync, the other Link to MIDI. I think midi link sync works better if I recall.

If you have Link going, most apps sync easily. If you decide to go strictly midi for each app, I think it's easy to do at least one app, but depends on the app's features/support. For Gadget, Link is probably best.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm not using it with ableton at the moment so I don't think link relevant. Gonna try a different interface. Not sure, but I think the iconnectmidi had a blue light when in operation, which isn't there now. Or maybe I'm just seeing lights. Can't be that difficult, just having a blind spot.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Link isn't Ableton Live-only.

It is just a protocol for synchronizing music software.

As an example:
If you were to open 5 apps all using midi clock as their sync, they will still have a lot of odd and undesirable behavior. In many cases you would need to have them all opened in advance.

If you were to open 5 Link-enabled apps on your device, then they would all sync and you could stop or play them at any time you please. They would always start on time and always stay tightly synced.

The only problem is that with hardware, you need an interface that receives midi clock from that hardware. This is where 'MIDI Link Sync' comes in. And I'm pretty sure it is both free and a small download. It will receive the midi clock data and then have the specific function of making Link transmit at the same tempo, time intervals. Then Gadget would automatically sync when opened.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Seem to have things working. MIDI in and out seeming to correspond oppositely on interface. As said blind moment. With the link app, would I open that first and click on ableton link in gadget. Thanks anyway. I've got a start

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:06 am

I always have Link on for all my apps. But I guess if you have things working without Link, it might be best to have it off (I don't know if it would conflict with midi clock)