"..could not be read, it may be corrupt or not licensed"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brekelbende

"..could not be read, it may be corrupt or not licensed"

Post by brekelbende » Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 am

Hi, i have a problem importing video files. I use the lateest trail version of Live Suite 9.04 on Windows 8 x64. I've tried to use a .mp4 and a .mov file. I exported it from Adobe Premiere and use the Quicktime settings. I also tried several converter like AimerSoft, Xmedia ReCode and Quicktime Pro. Nothing works.

The video file details are:

General
Complete name : C:\VvU.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 123 MiB
Duration : 1mn 39s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 10.3 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-05-28 15:50:48
Tagged date : UTC 2013-05-28 15:50:48
©TIM : 00:00:00:00
©TSC : 25
©TSZ : 1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3.2
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 10.1 Mbps
Nominal bit rate : 12.2 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.440
Stream size : 120 MiB (98%)
Language : English

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Source duration : 1mn 39s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 287 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 2.25 MiB (2%)
Source stream size : 2.25 MiB (2%)

The mov file:
General
Complete name : C:\Audio\VvU.mov
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 1.40 MiB
Overall bit rate : 117 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-05-29 11:31:04
Tagged date : UTC 2013-05-29 11:31:04
Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L2.2
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 83 bps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 0.010 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.027
Stream size : 1.01 KiB (0%)
Encoded date : UTC 2013-05-29 11:31:01
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Source duration : 1mn 39s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 115 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.37 MiB (98%)
Source stream size : 1.37 MiB (98%)
Encoded date : UTC 2013-05-29 11:31:01

Does anyone have a clue????
Thanks in advance!

Paul

ark

Re: "..could not be read, it may be corrupt or not licensed"

Post by ark » Wed May 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Are you using the 64-bit version of Live? If so, have you followed this advice?

brekelbende

Post by brekelbende » Wed May 29, 2013 4:46 pm

ark wrote:Are you using the 64-bit version of Live? If so, have you followed this advice?
That link just made my day! :D

Gmaj7th

Post by Gmaj7th » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:21 am

I'm having the same problem trying to use a video file with Ableton Standard version 9.7.1 on Windows 10, 64 bit, I7 processor. I'm trying to use a .mov file that I can play with the free version of Quicktime. I was going to download the free codec recommended but McAfee warned about the site and the download. So I'm looking for another solution. The Ableton user manual says that .mov files can be used so all software and Codecs required should be included in the installation.

Everyone else in my class is using college supplied Apple systems and a different DAW and they have no problem with the instructor supplied video file. It is only 10 seconds long.

Thanks for any help.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Gmaj7th wrote:I'm having the same problem trying to use a video file with Ableton Standard version 9.7.1 on Windows 10, 64 bit, I7 processor. I'm trying to use a .mov file that I can play with the free version of Quicktime. I was going to download the free codec recommended but McAfee warned about the site and the download. So I'm looking for another solution. The Ableton user manual says that .mov files can be used so all software and Codecs required should be included in the installation.

Everyone else in my class is using college supplied Apple systems and a different DAW and they have no problem with the instructor supplied video file. It is only 10 seconds long.

Thanks for any help.
You're not supplying the actual codec used because?
Make some music!

Gmaj7th

Post by Gmaj7th » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm not supplying the actual codec used because I don't have enough expertise to know. This problem appears to be only with the 64 bit version of Ableton.

I'm a little familiar with codecs and understand they compress/decompress and they are like a wrapper around the actual data. I've been in the computer industry many years but I'm not very familiar with video and audio codecs and even less familiar with Quicktime since I've been in the Windows and mainframe world. I don't have any idea how Ableton, or other programs, know how to find and use the correct codec. Maybe through the Registry file? I'm looking for the time, not how the watch works.

I understand the need for a codec that can decompress .mov files. I would simply use the recommended codec downloads if McAfee didn't warn of potential viruses and/or other malware for the site and download.

I've set Quicktime to be the default program to open .mov, that didn't help. I've set Windows Media Player to be the default program to open .mov, that didn't help.

Since Quicktime can play the video the correct codec must be on my system. I don't know if it is embedded in Quicktime or if there is a way to have Ableton use it.

I did a lot of searching this morning but I have not found a solution.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Gmaj7th wrote:
Since Quicktime can play the video the correct codec must be on my system. I don't know if it is embedded in Quicktime or if there is a way to have Ableton use it.

I did a lot of searching this morning but I have not found a solution.
Open it in quicktime and export it as an mp4. That might help. If not, get VLC, open the movie and press Ctrl-i and click on the codec details panel. Read the name under "Codec" and post that.

Most QT codes are directly supplied by Apple or their associated partners.
Make some music!

Gmaj7th

Post by Gmaj7th » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks so much for the continued help! I can not export from Quicktime because I only have the free version.

I did download and install VLC player. I didn't think there was any Codec information until I paused the movie while playing. VLC plays the movie. This is the information:
Stream 0 Type: Video Codec: DV Video (dvc) Language: English Resolution 736x480 Frame rate: 29.970029 Decoded format: Planar 4:1:1 YUV

Note: There isn't any audio with this movie (that's the class assignment, create sound for the movie).

Maybe the solution is near!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Gmaj7th wrote: Video Codec: DV Video (dvc)
Unfortunately that's more unspecific than expected. There are multiple Digital Video variants. I'm not sure if the C stands for Codec or Cam here.

Have you tried DV Video Decoder that I assume requires Microsoft video apps (or supporting alternatives). Or Handbrake.

As I've said in other discussions it makes more sense to make a lightweight and compatible copy of the movie in question with the same frame rate, export the sound only from Live and add it and sync it to the original inside a real video editing app. To add DV movies to Live seems excessive.

Maybe these difficulties are part of the curriculum?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Gmaj7th

Post by Gmaj7th » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:03 am

Thanks again for continuing to work with me on this. I've asked the instructor to try some different exports from Quicktime for me.

The goal is to begin scoring music to a video. The next video is 2 minutes long. It doesn't work either. The other students are young and may be aspiring to a musical career and they need the concept of scoring music to videos (they aren't songs!) They use the classroom Apple systems, Logic and Reason software and have no problems.

For me, I'm retired from the computer industry and I'm just trying to learn about electronic music. I've made arrangements with the instructor to use my own Windows system, Novation keyboard, and Ableton. My ultimate goal is to compose a new song with lyrics for one of my sons as well as to add additional tracks to my own playing (accordion and keyboard). However, I'm trying to also do as many of the class projects as possible. I've learned about rewire using Ableton and Reason (I couldn't get UVI to work as a rewire slave).

If I figure the video problem out, or if Ableton supplies a solution, I'll post here. Still open to other possible solutions.

Best Regards!

P.S. I downloaded a .mov sample file from Apple support and I get the same error.

nedmech

Post by nedmech » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Gmaj7th wrote:I downloaded a .mov sample file from Apple support and I get the same error.
I was having the exact same issue with my Win10 64-bit version until I found the link that ark supplied:
ark wrote:Are you using the 64-bit version of Live? If so, have you followed this advice?
The only thing that worked for me was installing one of the 3rd party codec packs.
Gmaj7th wrote:I was going to download the free codec recommended but McAfee warned about the site and the download.
Which of the three free codecs was McAfee complaining about? I've used all three before at various times. I'm currently using the CCCP one and didn't run into any security issues trying to download it.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:42 am

nedmech wrote:
Which of the three free codecs was McAfee complaining about? I've used all three before at various times. I'm currently using the CCCP one and didn't run into any security issues trying to download it.
Who in their right mind downloads an .exe file that normally isn't needed for unpacking an archive? CCCP don't seem to have DV support. Though the listing may be outdated. K-pack doesn't list their codecs and "DVC" isn't mentioned in their forums.

If you have any of these can you verify DVC is in any of them and that you can play back DV files?
Make some music!

rnb0

Post by rnb0 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:55 pm

It's a serious shortfall that Ableton needs to put it's users thru this just to stick video clips into projects. This thread is years old. The linked "solutions" are years old. Are we still considering a 64 bit machine to be something "new?"

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 pm

rnb0 wrote:It's a serious shortfall that Ableton needs to put it's users thru this just to stick video clips into projects. This thread is years old. The linked "solutions" are years old. Are we still considering a 64 bit machine to be something "new?"
This is about not common video file formats. Live is not a Video editor. It can display video in order for you to make music for it, but this business requiring Live to support every video format under the sun is quite ridiculous. Even for video support other suggestions are way more important, like a SMPTE or equivalent branch standard time line.

The solution should be obvious: use any of the vastly advanced video editing apps out there — some of them are free as well as great — and export the finely cut video in question to Quicktime (as that is supported). Then when the music is ready export the audio only and import it back to the original video project. Sync and export to final product.
Make some music!

rnb0

Post by rnb0 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Yes, I think that in the posts I have researched I've seen you say that "Live is not a video editor" of "uncommon" file types - at least once before.

The only small problem is that their page showing comparisons of versions says it can do it - ie. the product is capable. People tend to make decisions about buying a product based on what the manufacturer says it can do.

(And a .move file (their requirement) is an "uncommon" file? )

I am also unimpressed by their inability to provide links to codec sites that are, you know, still available.

I guess we just have different standards. Sure, I can build this on my machine that has an NCH suite but I tend to buy products that don't make me jump around (and over to other machines) a lot.