How do I give the bass more punch and power?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Christian_R

How do I give the bass more punch and power?

Post by Christian_R » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi,

I'm working on mixing my songs better, and one thing that I want to fix is my bass. I still want to keep it in a low key with the clean/organic/neutral sound, but I want to give it more punch and power. I think it sounds a little flat now compared to the professional artists, but I'm not really sure how to make it better. I have tried several bass instruments in the Ableton library (I also tried downloading the Guitars and Bass pack), and I ended up using the Synth Bass "Bass-Analogics", which I also tweaked a bit and added the EQ8.

Does anyone have some good tips on how to make it better? Are there any other bass packs / plugins I should try? I appreciate all the tips I can get ;)

Here's a clip with my bass sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fkfe6ktwuQ

Stromkraft

Re: How do I give the bass more punch and power?

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Some techniques to investigate:
  • Gain staging
  • Counter-intuitively turn down the bass
  • EQ, also not on the fundamental region
  • Compression (Gentle!)
  • Buss compression with the side-chain filtering out the bass
  • Parallel Compression
  • Make sub region mono as early in the signal path as possible
If you search I think you can find a great discussion on bass with me, Angstrom as well other great members sharing ideas.

This one: Tips for Making a Solid Sub-Bass
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:15 am

Stromkraft wrote:Some techniques to investigate:
  • Gain staging
  • Compression (Gentle!)
  • Parallel Compression
If you search I think you can find a great discussion on bass with me, Angstrom as well other great members sharing ideas.

Thank you for the tips! I will look into this :)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:35 am

Christian_R wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:Some techniques to investigate:
  • Gain staging
  • Compression (Gentle!)
  • Parallel Compression

Thank you for the tips! I will look into this :)
I updated the link.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:39 am

I should also add that for the "punch" part, you probably want to layer in some high frequency stuff on the non-sub harmonics. I like light distortion above 100hZ or so. The trick is to avoid the fizziness that makes it sound like an angry bee and go for character and presence. Then tone it down so you don't think about it and just let it be there.
Make some music!

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:45 am

Stromkraft wrote:I should also add that for the "punch" part, you probably want to layer in some high frequency stuff on the non-sub harmonics. I like light distortion above 100hZ or so. The trick is to avoid the fizziness that makes it sound like an angry bee and go for character and presence. Then tone it down so you don't think about it and just let it be there.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I will check this out as well. My songs contains a lot of sounds and layers, that's why I think a clean bass will suit the songs good ;)

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:50 am

antic604 wrote:Recently I found that layering of 2-3 oscillators works really well, even though I avoided it like a plague before: use pure sine wave for sub, then add others - saw, triangle, square/pulse - on top of it (likely applying hi-pass filter to not overlap with sine's low frequencies) and to those you can add a bit of power by filtering (with low/mid resonance), adding distortion / overdrive, very short reverbs, etc. Live's Instrument Rack is perfect to achieve that.

Tom Cosm's tutorial explains that pretty well (I strongly encourage everyone to check his videos, BTW!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zATLUvOZx4s
Interesting, I will look into that as well. Thanks for sharing!

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:05 am

This is probably a stupid question, but here we go: Why doesn't Ableton make their instruments more "ready to use immediately"? In this particular case, why haven't they made like a bass pack that already contains EQ, layers etc.? I don't really mind building this up myself, and I'm sure I will understand more as my skills improve. I just wonder why it's made this way :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:22 am

Have you checked out the Bass category in the Sounds portion of the Live Library?

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Tarekith wrote:Have you checked out the Bass category in the Sounds portion of the Live Library?
Yes, I have. But I didn't find anything to be clean enough. But then again I haven't applied any effects to them other than EQ, so I'm sure they would sound better if only I know how to tweak them right ;)

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:24 pm

This is kind of the bass sound I'm aiming for. Maybe with even more power to it.

The bass starts at 1:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ-pXzZl57Q

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Well if I listen to your example and your own sound, are you sure it's the bass that's lacking in power? Because I don't really feel like your little loop lacks bass so much, but it's hard to compare a simple loop to a fully mixed track. A lot of the power and energy of the example comes from the tempo, the percussion, the mix/master (compression/limiting, maybe things like console or tape saturation which can "glue" the mix together and enhance the low end as well.) But overall I think there may be actually less bass than in your loop.

Keeping the bass mono has been mentioned but if you listen to the example track, the bass is actually stereo! Or to be more precise, probably the sub-bass part is mono, but there's a mid/high component as well that has some kind of widening effect on it. A common technique in EDM/trance. Using racks you can split sounds into different frequency components and apply different effects to each component. Or of course you can start with two different sounds on different tracks, one for just sub, with all the highs filtered out, and one with a bit more mid and high with all the bass filtered out. Mix them together to taste so it sounds like one sound.
Also it's good practice to cut super-low frequencies from you sounds, including the bass (say, below 30-40 HZ) as you won't hear this anyway and it will take up space in the mix.

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:54 pm

snakedogman wrote:Well if I listen to your example and your own sound, are you sure it's the bass that's lacking in power? Because I don't really feel like your little loop lacks bass so much, but it's hard to compare a simple loop to a fully mixed track. A lot of the power and energy of the example comes from the tempo, the percussion, the mix/master (compression/limiting, maybe things like console or tape saturation which can "glue" the mix together and enhance the low end as well.) But overall I think there may be actually less bass than in your loop.

Keeping the bass mono has been mentioned but if you listen to the example track, the bass is actually stereo! Or to be more precise, probably the sub-bass part is mono, but there's a mid/high component as well that has some kind of widening effect on it. A common technique in EDM/trance. Using racks you can split sounds into different frequency components and apply different effects to each component. Or of course you can start with two different sounds on different tracks, one for just sub, with all the highs filtered out, and one with a bit more mid and high with all the bass filtered out. Mix them together to taste so it sounds like one sound.
Also it's good practice to cut super-low frequencies from you sounds, including the bass (say, below 30-40 HZ) as you won't hear this anyway and it will take up space in the mix.
Maybe the power is already there, and that clarity is more of what I'm looking for. Right now I think it sounds a bit "woofy" (if that is a English word) if you know what I mean.

And I actually thought it was in mono already, but you're probably right. I will look into that too :)

Anyways, thank you for the tips!

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:12 am

using the bass sound's filter envelope and amplitude envelope, is u can sculpt the snapiness and punch . u might need a synth hat has more options to fine tune the envelopes

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:25 am

Inversoundzzz wrote:using the bass sound's filter envelope and amplitude envelope, is u can sculpt the snapiness and punch . u might need a synth hat has more options to fine tune the envelopes
A lot of good tips here. Thank you too ;)