4k SUPPORT... It's 2016.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
breslin

Re: 4k SUPPORT... It's 2016.

Post by breslin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:20 am

It would be great to see this added.

mono808

Post by mono808 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:41 pm

i just found an surpisingly simple workaround for those tiny vst plugins when win10 ui scaling is disabled for live9.
just press "win & +" to activate the windows magnifier tool. You can then zoom in and out with "win & +" and "win & -" by an adjustable amount. zoom in, fiddle with the vst and easily zoom out again.
works until there is some love from ableton.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:15 pm

mono808 wrote:sure, this helps to avoid the blurry ui of live9 itself. But live9 does not scale the vst plugins to 200%, so the plugins stay so tiny, that they are unusable on smaller 4k screens.

Live should just scale the plugins to the same scale as the ui (even if its just by resampling them and making them look blurry, but at least we could then use them normally). This would have the advantage that we don't have to rely on each and every plugin to provide a hires ui.

Another approach would be to make live9 compatible with the windows10 ui scaling, so live9 stays sharp and the plugins get scaled by windows10.
It is impossible to automagically scale every 3rd party plugin, as many of them were developed with various legacy GUI frameworks. It's only about displayed image, but also clickable elements on these plugins.

Anyway, what is the actual issue with Ableton on high resolution display? For me it stays sharp at any % scaling, but don't have 4K monitor yet.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Warmonger wrote: Anyway, what is the actual issue with Ableton on high resolution display? For me it stays sharp at any % scaling, but don't have 4K monitor yet.
The whole main interface is blurry, like it has a 3px Gaussian blur on it ... no settings in the preferences will fix it.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Warmonger wrote: Anyway, what is the actual issue with Ableton on high resolution display? For me it stays sharp at any % scaling, but don't have 4K monitor yet.
The whole main interface is blurry, like it has a 3px Gaussian blur on it ... no settings in the preferences will fix it.
But you are not using Windows 10 system scaling for Ableton, are you?

(this Window is example for Chrome)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:15 pm

yes, of course, and that makes the whole thing microscopic, so ... then we must use the ableton scaling to 200% and it looks even weirder ...
the tracks and clips are now visible scale ...but many UI elements remain at the microscopic native size.
So that even with ableton Look & Feel set to scaling 200% - on my screen the entire preferences window is just 2.5cm wide, and the text within it is microscopically small and totally unreadable. This is obviously not a solution that can be used for any great duration.

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:53 am

mono808 wrote:i just found an surpisingly simple workaround for those tiny vst plugins when win10 ui scaling is disabled for live9.
just press "win & +" to activate the windows magnifier tool. You can then zoom in and out with "win & +" and "win & -" by an adjustable amount. zoom in, fiddle with the vst and easily zoom out again.
works until there is some love from ableton.
Did that actually for a while.
Drives you crazy soon.
Went back to blurry.
Wiping the overtired eyes after a long working day
and waiting for a fix...

*S.

mikesena

Post by mikesena » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:13 am

Absolutely needs to be fixed. It's an issue for any high DPI screen.

To those who are quoting the "disable scaling" solution...

The main Ableton interface with scaling disabled, zoomed to 140% or so, looks gorgeous.
But this only fixes part of the issue.
  • Disabling the scaling arguably works for high DPI, as long as it's < 4K.
  • Anytime you want to use something that doesn't have the scaling applied, it becomes impossible. The settings area for instance becomes a joke.
  • As others have raised, plugins look terrible or, in some cases, crash entirely.
It should be mentioned that FL Studio does actually do a form of scaling now; I'm not sure how it does plugins, but it looks great on my 4K screen.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:29 pm

4K support is coming in the next update, along with polyphonic aftertouch, MPE, System Exclusive message support, and network collaboration. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

nicholsonc55

Post by nicholsonc55 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 pm

They don't have time for this!!!

All updates are about Push, they must update Push!!! Who needs real bug fixes, we get Push updates!! 600 lines of Push patch notes, not a single one about correct CPU using when in Battery Balance Mode, or any other bugfixes like this one!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 pm

nicholsonc55 wrote:They don't have time for this!!!

All updates are about Push, they must update Push!!! Who needs real bug fixes, we get Push updates!! 600 lines of Push patch notes, not a single one about correct CPU using when in Battery Balance Mode, or any other bugfixes like this one!
If that was true we would have Arrangement control from Push now.
Make some music!

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:25 pm

nicholsonc55 wrote:They don't have time for this!!!

Well, the truth is that Ableton sells Push and not 4K monitors. Also everybody uses Push (or wants to buy one), so it's high priority and big money.

Still, 4K market is growing and I could get such monitor even this month.

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:05 am

Warmonger wrote: Well, the truth is that Ableton sells Push and not 4K monitors. Also everybody uses Push (or wants to buy one), so it's high priority and big money.

Still, 4K market is growing and I could get such monitor even this month.
Well, truth is also that lots of users, including myself, own push, suite, endless sample packs and a 4K monitor already.

And truth is also that Live 9 is the only professional software on my system that lacks heavily in that sort of standards, or call it basics.

Hi-Res issues are just one, touchpad/scroll standards and personal preferences are some more to mention.
Not even my freeware apps do suffer from Hi-Res issues.
That´s why we´re all waiting for V.10 and couldn´t share that much enthusiasm about more sample packs, push updates and "beat slicing" tools.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=224902

Greets,
*S.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Okay, so I got new 27" 4K monitor and Live likes it 8)

All the interface scales nicely except of options window - but that's not something you visit often.

Plugins scale individually - Sylenth1 and Harmor have scalable versions, other plugins are unaffected, AIR plugins have display issues. But it has nothing to do with Live support or lack of it.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:11 pm

"Likes it" or "just about still works on it"?

You can still see the interface because your screen is 27". Try it on a 4k laptop where the 4k pixels fit into 13" .
Everything you are looking at is double the size we are seeing on our laptops.

I have Live on my laptop, scaled up to 200% to simply make it visible. And its blurry as hell.
The options on my 13" screen are HALF THE SIZE you are seeing.

You said they are small, so imagine everything half the size you are seeing. And blurry,