Complex & Complex pro Warp modes contain Artifacts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Joel W-J

Complex & Complex pro Warp modes contain Artifacts

Post by Joel W-J » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:36 pm

I had similar problems with these warp modes, only discovered when I opened up older sets with the new version that had samples already set in one of these two modes, and was wondering what all the noise was.

But I'm not sure if the problem I was having was/is the same issue as in the bug fix notes?

Bug Fixes in live 9.6 release notes

"Reduced audible artifacts and improved timing for samples warped with Complex and Complex Pro."

Have I discovered another bug or has the original one not quite been resolved?

Answers on a postcard please to Blue Peter, BBC, England.

Nate Holt

Re: Complex & Complex pro Warp modes contain Artifacts

Post by Nate Holt » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Ever get an answer? Having the same problems. My default warp mode is complex pro- it seems to produce artifacts (clicking popping) when I'm chopping up audio into 2,4,8 bar loops etc. to resequence/arrange within Ableton. I usually have the tempo set to what I want before I record, so I'm not really concerned about changing/being able to change it later- and I use the scene name to change the song tempo in my live sets. So, question is if that's normal (as I've read in some forums)? Reading that repitch might be the preferable overall setting if just recording into and editing when not concerned with changing tempo afterwards inside Ableton (Beats for percussion heavy tracks and Texture for synth/atmospheric tracks lacking dominant percussion).

yur2die4

Re: Complex & Complex pro Warp modes contain Artifacts

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Complex and complex pro are different from the other modes in a few ways.

One is that they use more CPU. On top of using extra CPU, they still access your hard drive like any other mode in order to grab the audio and process it. Sometimes putting samples in ram helps. (This should not be done for lots and lots of samples, especially if you have limited ram).

Also, because the complex and complex-pro modes do not leave your sample's audio spectrum completely neutral (forgive me for using the term audio spectrum, probably not the best words for it), the actual levels of the resulting audio from those modes can be different from the original audio. These surprises in audio difference can sometimes result in odd behavior when doing processing, especially if you're expecting the audio never to go above 0 db.