Studio One

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evon

Studio One

Post by evon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:02 pm

No disrespect to Live, but I am taking a look at Presonus' Studio One3 and I am completely blown away. After using live (or as a matter of fact ms windows ) the learning curve is 0. Features=120%.
Would be interesting to get some feedback as to how it compares with different Live users.
Also, rewiring Live, reason etc is just drag-and-drop.
fe real!

CheekoStick

Re: Studio One

Post by CheekoStick » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Can you automate any parameter?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:25 pm

I use it for client mixdowns for things like strip silence and auto track naming. Other than that Live fits me fine for my own music making.

evon

Post by evon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:43 pm

CheekoStick wrote:Can you automate any parameter?
Yes, drag-and-drop.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Tarekith wrote:I use it for client mixdowns for things like strip silence and auto track naming. Other than that Live fits me fine for my own music making.
Of course that is part of the adventure, to see how to get the best of both worlds. I have an undying love affair with Live and do believe that all other DAWs since have followed the Abes out of the box.

Even Studio One, it is just a patchwork of the great features of some of the great DAWs of old, including Live. Makes me think that therein lies the future of DAWs, where the best one will be able to do just that. Be able to seamlessly incorporate all the outstanding features around into one.
fe real!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:02 pm

In a lot of ways its a lot more professional and fully featured than Live.

however, I find it difficult to straddle the two applications and I'm still quicker at starting a track in Live. It's just that from that point on Live makes it very difficult to manage, edit, arrange etc. So I'm focusing on getting my Studio One skills up to speed.

Ableton are very focused on "hip looking 23 year old making mad minimal beats", so I guess they have little interest in the things Studio One can do.

I find it pretty funny that Live's current push is on the phrase "Finish your song", because that's where their functionality is exposed as very weak. Just try making alternative arrangement sections to A/B, or moving sections around, try doing mix recalls. Yeah. not good.
Last edited by Angstrom on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slacker4hire

Post by Slacker4hire » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 pm

I think it's a great, forwardish thinking DAW.. but not having undo in the mixer is a deal breaker for me.

Maybe I'm spoiled, I dunno. But I like it when I press cmd/ctrl + 'z' and it undoes whatever I just did, regardless of what or where.

mareproduction

Post by mareproduction » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:52 am

evon wrote:No disrespect to Live, but I am taking a look at Presonus' Studio One3 and I am completely blown away. After using live (or as a matter of fact ms windows ) the learning curve is 0. Features=120%.
Would be interesting to get some feedback as to how it compares with different Live users.
Also, rewiring Live, reason etc is just drag-and-drop.
Same here. Studio one have some great features, But I can't live without M4L, groove pool, the bet way to chop samples, The easiest way to save samples, racks, instruments I've seen so far.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm a Studio One user as well. It is great for mixing/mastering but I like Live better for actually writing songs.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:46 pm

The two things I find really useful are the fact that when you drag a bunch of new audio files into a blank project, it automatically creates new tracks for them, names them the same as the files, and auto-colors everything. Then with one click I can automatically strip all the silent bits out allowing me to instantly get a feel for the arrangement (and cut down on disk access).

It's a more modern take on a traditional DAW I feel, sort of taking the best of Cubase, ProTools, etc and putting a leaner spin on things. For loopy stuff or anything involving manipulating audio files to any degree I find Live tends to be faster for me.

evon

Post by evon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

antic604 wrote:
evon wrote:Features=120%.
Studio One 3, which I tried a lot before buying Live, seems to be more suited to non-electronic music. Not saying EDM can not be made with SO3, just that it's 'easier' to do it in Live. One thing I loved in SO3 was the interface - it's so modern & lightweight, compared to the bold, heavy lines everywhere in Live.
Exactly, my projects workflow are more aligned to old school studio productions. Only that I benefit from the digital aspect of doing that nowadays.

DAWs like cubase, protools etc, were basically the pioneers in that respect. So Studio One, just like what Tarekith pointed out, seems to have combined the best features from those DAWs and was able to put them together in a very organized and seamless way that appeals to people like me.

As I explore Studio One, I get the feeling that the coders were/are studio practitioners, or worked very closely with them.

Over the years, as new DAWs come and go, one thing still remains constant with Live that no other DAW can come close, is song writing. The GUI in Live is still very much up there. However, as it is I would give S One the edge there.

Therefore, the main features for me is the drag and drop that is used quite freely, the GUI, the organized fashion of the UI and just the general feel working in it. It is like driving a prestige car as opposed to a budget car.
fe real!

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:27 am

To me it's like apples and oranges. I like Live's session view for messing around. As for Studio One it is an app that seems to transition easy from using other DAWs. Neither one is as easy using MIDI compared to FL Studio. It just has better real estate for editing midi. Also in Live reaping loops is easier. I find Live more inspiring for dance genres than Studio One.

hps909

Post by hps909 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:07 am

after 12 years with ableton i still cant use arrangement view to write songs it just doesn't sit right with me it's actually pretty counter intuitive to me for arrangements..

i'm a cubase user since forever however i recently bought studio one 3 pro after having the "lite" version since version. 1 i really dig the interface and workflow love it's scales feature in the midi editor . the drag and drop is second to none, editing is deep more traditional but not in the elastic sense of live.. a lot of pro tools users have jumped ship judging by their forums ..

it still needs some work integrating external instruments hopefully in version 4 we will see a dedicated external instrument plugin recording external midi synths is still at the mercy of midi and audio latency .. it is a million times more reliable than lives crappy sync and DC implementation ..live is my loop and sample manipulation and scratch pad and live tool.. untill i get to grips properly with S1 im just using it as a creative mix/arrange tool... cubase just mops the floor with any daw for total studio integration so i prefer to arrange and mix there
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:18 am

hps909 wrote:after 12 years with ableton i still cant use arrangement view to write songs it just doesn't sit right with me it's actually pretty counter intuitive to me for arrangements..

i'm a cubase user since forever however i recently bought studio one 3 pro after having the "lite" version since version. 1 i really dig the interface and workflow love it's scales feature in the midi editor . the drag and drop is second to none, editing is deep more traditional but not in the elastic sense of live.. a lot of pro tools users have jumped ship judging by their forums ..

it still needs some work integrating external instruments hopefully in version 4 we will see a dedicated external instrument plugin recording external midi synths is still at the mercy of midi and audio latency .. it is a million times more reliable than lives crappy sync and DC implementation ..live is my loop and sample manipulation and scratch pad and live tool.. untill i get to grips properly with S1 im just using it as a creative mix/arrange tool... cubase just mops the floor with any daw for total studio integration so i prefer to arrange and mix there
I tried Studio One a while ago (maybe 3 years ago?). There was one thing that totally upset me though. I had a cheap external keyboard Yamaha E423, but it had an awesome live saxophone sound. So i had a midi track with it. In the midi track I wanted to select a specific midi program change (I do not remember an exact number, but let it be 111). In Studio One, all parameters are the knobs that go from zero to 100 percent. So I had to calculate 11/127 = 0.874 and to pray it will hit the right midi CC.

Also, I agree that writing songs in parts/pieces (scenes) is better in live...

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:59 am

Slacker4hire wrote:I think it's a great, forwardish thinking DAW.. but not having undo in the mixer is a deal breaker for me.

Maybe I'm spoiled, I dunno. But I like it when I press cmd/ctrl + 'z' and it undoes whatever I just did, regardless of what or where.
This. As soon as they implement mixer undo, I will move to mixing and mastering in Studio One. Unless we find that Live X has matured significantly in arranging features. Doubtful though based on what we have been seeing. But the silence has been so long now that anything could be happening.