Reverb after compression on grouped tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
reynolds101

Reverb after compression on grouped tracks

Post by reynolds101 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:15 pm

I record my drums using 2 mics, one for the kick drum and one for the rest of the kit. I typically group them together and add compression, but I would also like to add reverb to just the overhead mic channel after the compression. How would I go about this? Im assuming by using a return track but they are confusing to me. Is the return track also doubling up on the original track from which it is being sent from?

login

Re: Reverb after compression on grouped tracks

Post by login » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:21 am

reynolds101 wrote:I record my drums using 2 mics, one for the kick drum and one for the rest of the kit. I typically group them together and add compression, but I would also like to add reverb to just the overhead mic channel after the compression. How would I go about this? Im assuming by using a return track but they are confusing to me. Is the return track also doubling up on the original track from which it is being sent from?
No it just out put the signal after the effect, and you can use the send control to control how much the signal you send to the effect.

snakedogman

Re: Reverb after compression on grouped tracks

Post by snakedogman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:12 pm

just remember to set any effects in the return track to 100% wet signal. This ensures that you're not doubling up on the dry signal through your return track.