Cycle Record (Loop Record)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
lucaspottersky

Cycle Record (Loop Record)

Post by lucaspottersky » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:00 am

I wish Live provided some way to Cycle Record (Loop Record), ideally just like Logic Pro X. Otherwise, maybe an option to make "Record button" overwrite the existing clip, as opposed to overdubbing it.
Please support my Feature Request: loop record (cycle record) in Ableton Live

Stromkraft

Re: Cycle Record (Loop Record)

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:23 pm

lucaspottersky wrote:I wish Live provided some way to Cycle Record (Loop Record), ideally just like Logic Pro X. Otherwise, maybe an option to make "Record button" overwrite the existing clip, as opposed to overdubbing it.
As if we all use Logic. Care to elaborate?
Make some music!

lucaspottersky

Post by lucaspottersky » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
lucaspottersky wrote:I wish Live provided some way to Cycle Record (Loop Record), ideally just like Logic Pro X. Otherwise, maybe an option to make "Record button" overwrite the existing clip, as opposed to overdubbing it.
As if we all use Logic. Care to elaborate?

Sorry about that. I'm new to this. I mentioned Logic, but I believe it's a standard feature across other DAWs.

I mean, I'd like Live to have some ability to record a Clip in multiple takes, so if I mess up the 1st time, I can try a 2nd, 3rd take endlessly, until I get it right.

Right now here's my workflow:
  • I play a Scene and want to record a new Clip for a Track
  • Enable Arm Record/Record for a Clip
  • then I mess up
  • stop everything I was doing
  • delete the Clip
  • repeat

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XYaxtomss8

lucaspottersky

Post by lucaspottersky » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 pm

These workflows work for me, I think:
Is this the most efficient way to do this sort of thing?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:02 pm

lucaspottersky wrote: Right now here's my workflow:
  • I play a Scene and want to record a new Clip for a Track
  • Enable Arm Record/Record for a Clip
  • then I mess up
Here's a possible future work flow:
  • You play a scene and want to record a new Clip for one of the tracks in this scene
  • Enable Arm Record for this track
  • Press the Overdub button and start recording
  • When you are just before the clip length you want press the play button of the clip. Overdub will remain active and clip will start to loop so you can continue playing and recording.
  • then you mess up
  • Select undo (Ctrl/Cmd-z). Only the last addition will be removed, clip continues to play back and recording in overdub mode.
  • Repeat until satisfied. While playing back you can still quantize and move notes around.
[/list]
Make some music!

Brawndo

Post by Brawndo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Hey so you actually can do this I just found out. If you just loop the section you want to record, hit the record button, keep playing takes until you think you got it right. Make sure the clip is selected then go look at the clip at the bottom of the screen, expand the clip and you'll see that all the previous versions were recorded in the clip. You can move the loop around inside the clip play each take.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:39 pm

This works in session view, but it's 100% broken in arrange view. In arrange view when I hit Ctrl+Z it will undo other stuff I did even before I started recording, not the last recorded pass. Works great in session view though.

To get this to work in session view, you need to first create an empty clip, set its length as required, and then start recording with overdub enabled. Hit Undo whenever you mess up and it will undo the last pass.

Studio One goes one step further with this (IMO better) where it provides two commands, Undo Last and Undo All. Regular undo doesn't include recorded passes, so you can tweak faders or whatever and undo those separately. Very neat.