Control song position and zoom in ARRANGEMENT view with PUSH

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Stiksi

Control song position and zoom in ARRANGEMENT view with PUSH

Post by Stiksi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Push doesn't really work very well with Arrangement view. A few simple tweaks would make it much easier to work with:

1. Allow a knob to move SONG POSITION, so you can move the playback start position directly from push. It could be a shift-option. Snap to current grid would be a good default in combination with my next suggestion.
2. Allow a knob to control TIMELINE ZOOM. This also changes the grid size so you get control over how quickly the knob moves Song position around and how accurately you can position it.

Together these two improvements would allow users to select the starting point of playback or recording with good accuracy and speed. It would resemble the sample slice workflow so it would have a very low learning curve. And they would bring minimal changes to the UI.

Stromkraft

Re: Control song position and zoom in ARRANGEMENT view with PUSH

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Stiksi wrote:Push doesn't really work very well with Arrangement view. A few simple tweaks would make it much easier to work with:

1. Allow a knob to move SONG POSITION, so you can move the playback start position directly from push. It could be a shift-option. Snap to current grid would be a good default in combination with my next suggestion.
2. Allow a knob to control TIMELINE ZOOM. This also changes the grid size so you get control over how quickly the knob moves Song position around and how accurately you can position it.

Together these two improvements would allow users to select the starting point of playback or recording with good accuracy and speed. It would resemble the sample slice workflow so it would have a very low learning curve. And they would bring minimal changes to the UI.

I concur.

I use the original Push, not the Push 2, so I can use PXT Live that has zoom and a little better Arrangement control.

There's also the Push-ArrangeMode that so far haven't lured me, but this Max For Live device also works with the Push 2.

What's really needed though is to make Arrangement clips equally Push compatible as Session clips. The distinction makes little sense to me.
Make some music!

Stiksi

Post by Stiksi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:15 pm

I haven't yet put Push-Arrangemode to the test, but the price is pretty reasonable, so it's only a matter of finding time. Nevertheless, I would love for Ableton to bake this functionality into the default Push software.

Stiksi

Post by Stiksi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 pm

I bought Push-Arrangemode and installed it. It doesn't work at all, there doesn't seem to be any way of initializing it other than SHIFT-SESSION, and that key combo just does nothing.