Live 10 around the corner?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sporkles

Live 10 around the corner?

Post by sporkles » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:10 am

Does anyone take the current upgrade campaign to mean something's about to (finally) happen?

The latest L9 betas have been very small in scope; adding controller support and fixing tiny bugs (IIRC; I admit I've only been peeking at the changelogs lately; I don't have ebeta installed), and it's about time, looking at Live's version cycles in the past.

So maybe Live 10 is just around the corner?

I'm always curious as to what new stuff they could possibly come up with to blow our minds. Also, with their focus on Push, it's anyone's guess whether we'll? finally get that major overhaul to Live's MIDI editor. I've been using Isotonik's Multi Clip Editor for a while, and I think it's high time Live gets a native support for this stuff.

snakedogman

Re: Live 10 around the corner?

Post by snakedogman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:15 pm

well it has certainly be a long time since Live 9 released. The longest wait between Live versions ever in fact (over 4 years now). Of course in that time Live 9 has seen numerous upgrades and Push came along.
But I'm of course interested as well to see what Live 10 would have in store. The competition isn't sitting still, and Ableton now has to contend with a more direct competitor in the form of Bitwig.
But with Ableton's complete radio silence on L10, there's no way of knowing when it's gonna surface. It might be tomorrow, or it might be another year.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:27 pm

It feels like if, but there's no way to be certain.

Whatever happens it better be a great leap, yet maintain Push 1 support and allow for a transition period. Hopefully Ableton will have focused on the core that affects everyone no matter the music making style.
Make some music!

icehouse

Post by icehouse » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Comping would be nice.

sitarman

Post by sitarman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:13 pm

MPE midi should be present too...

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:29 pm

sporkles wrote:Does anyone take the current upgrade campaign to mean something's about to (finally) happen?

The latest L9 betas have been very small in scope; adding controller support and fixing tiny bugs (IIRC; I admit I've only been peeking at the changelogs lately; I don't have ebeta installed), and it's about time, looking at Live's version cycles in the past.

So maybe Live 10 is just around the corner?

I'm always curious as to what new stuff they could possibly come up with to blow our minds. Also, with their focus on Push, it's anyone's guess whether we'll? finally get that major overhaul to Live's MIDI editor. I've been using Isotonik's Multi Clip Editor for a while, and I think it's high time Live gets a native support for this stuff.

I don't think anyone on this forum would know what's in store and the few that does would most likely be bound to a NDA and won't be able to comment on it.

That said I'm thinking an upgrade is around the corner as Bitwig went 2.0 and Ableton went to V9 in 2013.

I'll bet they are hard at work right now.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:30 pm

It's 5:30PM here, so I bet they're just getting off work actually :)

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:29 am

Come on Tarekith, you probably know that 10 is right around the corner and may even know what's in store. Of course you cant say anything about it but I have a feeling you have been messing around with the beta for a while now. A certain emoji reply will suffice!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:55 am

I can't find the certain reply emoji, sorry.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:40 am

Tarekith wrote:I can't find the certain reply emoji, sorry.
This is the one: :mrgreen:!
Make some music!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 pm

They still have to bring up Sampler to Simplers capabilities in 9, before I consider throwing more money at them.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:06 pm

TomKern wrote:They still have to bring up Sampler to Simplers capabilities in 9, before I consider throwing more money at them.
I hope not, because their choices in Simpler made it unusuable for me. The Use-case / story of "user builds a multisample set by hot-swapping samples" is flawed because the current implementation ignores the assigned device context and instead adopts whatever context / settingsthe sample was saved with. Plain weird. Like a sample is used the same every time? Or that the settings I just made should be ignored for some saved on a disk 18months ago.

I expect L10 to be heavily about "making dope beatz", Live strongly appeals to the sector that wants to make a banger in 10 minutes so I expect lots of that. Lots of Push2 loads a pack stuff, plus some visualisers written in Max. Etc.
There are many areas Live is strangely weak. For example mapping Presets and playing them Live - Ableton surrendered that market share to Apple's MainStage. An odd loss of focus on a big chunk of what was their core market. The Ableton solution doesnt even exist in comparison.

There are several other large areas they could do with addressing regarding jamming and interaction, or arranging, but the "Push2 and a loop pack" market is adequately profitable. L9 disapointed me, I am not getting my hopes up for L10

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:26 pm

Add midi controlled sampling in simpler and sampler. That'd blow my mind. To think I could then automate re-sampling of an audio source at a constant rate while the device is also playing those samples ! It would also fix the whole necessity for needing to take they extra step of recording clips and then converting them. Eh

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:47 pm

Angstrom wrote: L9 disapointed me, I am not getting my hopes up for L10
While that is probably wise, I do feel the opposite. Since 9.2 Live have delivered. Kinda late but nevertheless.
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:05 am

Things I have enjoyed about Live 9 have been Session Automation, Dual monitors, the EQ8 upgrade, the Cytomic filters and the Glue Compressor.
But that's a bit of a weird list really.

These are nice, but I felt that Session Automation took so much of their effort that expanding the rest of Session and arrangement took a back seat.
We can see competitors exploring container clips, and arrangement clips, overdubbing, etc. Somehow outpacing the inventors of this interaction metaphor in developing it further.

Additionally I feel that the way Live handles presets, previews, and program change assignment, the stacking, loading and flipping .. it's not very "performative". It's strange for a program called Live that preset and patch control doesn't really seem to exist, MainStage is literally the only player in town.

I feel sure that owners of Push feel much more connection with their live sets, but as non-Push owner I still feel that disconnection from the sounds and the instruments - and as for the clips and scenes there are no immediate performance and jamming methods exposed to the user like: "duplicate this whole section and modulate it to the IV" or "snapshot what the mix is like now, because I'm going to come back to it after this breakdown" . The whole metaphor seems very procedural for a program called "Live".

It's difficult to describe without a "User Story", but in essence there is a layer of jamming meta-control which the user needs access to, and not via Max, or (for me) Push

Live's Session needs to expand and encompass routings, snapshots, and the loading and unloading of resources to make the whole thing a "Live Performance Instrument".
I'm aware they made Push for exactly this purpose, but the implementation seems very focused on a different musical creation method than mine. EG:
I have never needed to sample a vinyl record breakbeat and slice it into a simpler. I'm not making Dubstep, or HipHop. So, the focus of Push is lost on me.