Exporting a complete song

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
eltigba

Exporting a complete song

Post by eltigba » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Hello everyone, I need some help as this is driving me absolutely crazy when it should be on of the simplest tasks!
I have a recorded audio (via microphone as Audio 1) and a soundtrack (audio 2) as well as some reverb effect. All i want to do is export them altogether as one song! It's just not working! I've searched everywhere even here and tried everything and I always end up getting the track either silent, or with the music soundtrack without the vocals I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've re-routed all the 'out's to master and selected render master and that doesn't work. someone please tell me in simple terms what i could be doing wrong because i'm not a professional :)

eltigba

Re: Exporting a complete song

Post by eltigba » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Upon further investigation, it seems that I might be having a problem where my recorded vocals are 'too quiet' compared to the soundtrack. But when I play it in Ableton it sounds perfect and I have the volume of the vocals set up so that it's loud enough on the soundtrack without any distortion etc. I want to just export what I can hear!
Because whenever I raise the 'clip gain' on the vocal clip it sounds terrible with distortion, so I don't want to do that (it still doesn't even sound loud enough on my soundtrack then as well) So I just want to be able to export a wav file of exactly what I can currently hear when I press 'play' on the master file, how can I do that without losing the current volume levels I've set for both clips?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:35 pm

Are you setting the render length correctly in the render dialogue?

eltigba

Post by eltigba » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Tarekith wrote:Are you setting the render length correctly in the render dialogue?
I think so, the render length is automatically set to 165? when I render i can hear the whole backing track, without the vocals (because they are too 'quiet')

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 am

eltigba wrote: I want to just export what I can hear!
Well, this is very possible. Either share the project or do some screen dump of the arrangement, session and the export dialogue window when this fails to happen.
Make some music!

eltigba

Post by eltigba » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:11 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Well, this is very possible. Either share the project or do some screen dump of the arrangement, session and the export dialogue window when this fails to happen.
you mean take screenshots of it? how do I post them on here afterwards

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 am

eltigba wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
you mean take screenshots of it? how do I post them on here afterwards
Yes. Imgur is one simple place to use.
Make some music!

eltigba

Post by eltigba » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Stromkraft wrote:

ok so I've uploaded the screenshots here
http://imgur.com/a/RryT8

this is how everything looks like right now. If I click on the 'play' button under master (1) , it sounds perfect. That's how I want to export it as a music file. But when I do, I can only hear the piano backing track without the vocals.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Your track 2 is turned off it looks like. Click on the "2" circled here and try again:

eltigba

Post by eltigba » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Tarekith wrote:Your track 2 is turned off it looks like. Click on the "2" circled here and try again:

so i did that, and at first I could still only hear the backing track

Then I got frustrated with all this equipment and just disconnected everything from my laptop and guess what. I could hear the song perfectly. I dont know what was wrong, I could hear myself record and hear the review in the program, but after exporting my headphones (plugged into focusrite scarlett solo) just didn't let me hear the vocals. So strange I don't know what could be the cause of that but now that I've disconnected everything and just listening through the laptop I can see that the vocals went onto the backing track quite nicely.

Just wanted to give an update incase anyone else runs into this bizarre problem. I spend 3 whole hours yesterday trying to fix this and didn't think of simply unplugging everything and listening without it.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Tarekith wrote:Your track 2 is turned off it looks like. Click on the "2" circled here and try again:

As far as I can tell the "Back To Arrangement" button indicates it's not playing back the arrangement, but the Session. As the export is set to start at bar 33 that means it will start at that bar in the Session clip.

If the backing is heard it must be via the effects sends only as Tarekith's observation indicates there is no direct sound.

It took a while to "get" Arrangement vs Session for me, but doing that is pretty vital I think.

------> 4.3 Arrangement and Session
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:31 am

Good catch. The Pink Buttons in that skin don't jump out at me like the orange ones do. :)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:55 am

Tarekith wrote:Good catch. The Pink Buttons in that skin don't jump out at me like the orange ones do. :)
I really feel this button should be in the transport bar. It's like in no man's land where it is now. One of the things that tripped me up early on.
Make some music!

eltigba

Post by eltigba » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 am

Stromkraft wrote:

As far as I can tell the "Back To Arrangement" button indicates it's not playing back the arrangement, but the Session. As the export is set to start at bar 33 that means it will start at that bar in the Session clip.

If the backing is heard it must be via the effects sends only as Tarekith's observation indicates there is no direct sound.

It took a while to "get" Arrangement vs Session for me, but doing that is pretty vital I think.

------> 4.3 Arrangement and Session
I'm going to do some reading at the link you just sent me, like I said I'm not really a pro and just want to do some very basic recording so all this technical stuff really confuses me! Thanks a lot for all the support everyone.

timday

Post by timday » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Good catch. The Pink Buttons in that skin don't jump out at me like the orange ones do. :)
I really feel this button should be in the transport bar. It's like in no man's land where it is now. One of the things that tripped me up early on.
+1. It used to be in the transport bar and made a lot more sense there.

It's also possible that the backing track is in one of the session slots as well as the arrangement and that's why it can be heard.