Lost in the Apple-verse

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
continuous

Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by continuous » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:31 am

Can't download El Capitan from the App Store - Anyone else?

I need to update my MBP but Apple will only allow me to update to Sierra which my audio interface potentially does not play nice with. Has anyone else dealt with this and found a solution?

Really at a loss - would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Stromkraft

Re: Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:09 am

continuous wrote:Can't download El Capitan from the App Store - Anyone else?

I need to update my MBP but Apple will only allow me to update to Sierra which my audio interface potentially does not play nice with. Has anyone else dealt with this and found a solution?

Really at a loss - would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
If your account ever downloaded Mac OS X El Capitan then it remains available under "Purchases". If not ask someone with an apple-id that has done this to download it for you.

Personally I'd abandon that interface, in the long run at least.
Make some music!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:41 am

Or just find a torrent of it.

Though a torrented operating system is a huge risk to take. So it's not for the faint of heart :!:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 am

TomKern wrote:Or just find a torrent of it.

Though a torrented operating system is a huge risk to take. So it's not for the faint of heart :!:
Extremely stupid suggestion actually considering you can get this from the source. Macs are now a target platform. Don't invite problems.
Make some music!

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:10 am

Illegal file-sharing is not condoned on this site, please do not recommend it again.
Ableton Forum Administrator

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:36 pm

[erm] wrote:Illegal file-sharing is not condoned on this site, please do not recommend it again.
Is it illegal though? I mean it's a free release for everyone who has a Mac, so he's not stealing anything. And if I'm not mistaken even Hackintoshs were discussed here before as well.

Anyways, I had a similar issue before, because I didn't want to give my identity away to a megacorp and thus have no Apple ID.

I got in the end from the (physical) Apple store though. But that was back when DVDs were still a thing.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:52 pm

TomKern wrote:I didn't want to give my identity away to a megacorp and thus have no Apple ID.
You don't have to do that in order to get an Apple-Id. Just give bogus information.

And yes, it's illegal in most countries to distribute macOS in public unless the license would stipulate otherwise. Which it doesn't I'm sure.

The underpinning of macOS, Darwin is open sourced and likely free to distribute in source code form in private, but I think not publicly. But macOS is more than Darwin.

Likewise I think that in private I'm free to give a copy of OS X 10.9 and onwards to someone that owns Apple hardware that supports the specific version. I've never had a reason to ask Apple about this directly though. That doesn't mean I could do that in public.
Make some music!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:01 pm

When I was trying to set up the ID it wanted my credit card info to tie it to, so I bailed. I guess I overlooked some workaround to skip that step.
(and a made up e-mai is different than a made up credit card number in my mind. The second comes awfully close to identity theft I think)

Regarding legality: fair enough. I wonder though how the Hackintosh community would get around this. (or why it was accepted as a topic here if it is clearly illegal).

I just feel that some people always assume illegality as soon as torrents are mentioned. Bittorrent is a protocol, just like e-mail (and many other things). Both can be used for wholesome and not so wholesome activities.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 pm

...if you neeed an old mac os just contact apple support...they'll send you a download link/ add it to your appstore account...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:09 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...if you neeed an old mac os just contact apple support...they'll send you a download link/ add it to your appstore account...
Which you won't have without an Apple-Id. Great advice otherwise.

You can skip adding a credit card unless you need for paying for anything so anyone can get an Apple-Id if they want to I think. That Apple won't support Paypal is too bad though. While I prefer to purchase directly from developers sometimes the store is really nice.
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:20 pm

...yep...no credit card needed...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
scheffkoch wrote:...if you neeed an old mac os just contact apple support...they'll send you a download link/ add it to your appstore account...
Which you won't have without an Apple-Id. Great advice otherwise.

You can skip adding a credit card unless you need for paying for anything so anyone can get an Apple-Id if they want to I think. While I prefer to purchase directly from developers sometimes the store is really nice.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem paying for a new computer with a credit card, but tying my whole online existence to verifiable identification is out of the question for me. So no iCloud, no media consumption via iTunes or Apple music or what ever data harvesting they try to do.
That Apple won't support Paypal is too bad though.
:evil:
Now there is something evil I would not touch with a ten foot pole. Those guys are outright fascists. They don't leave it at spying on your money flow, they decide what you can do with your money for you. (look up the scandal of how they held back donations to Wikileaks after the Manning leaks)

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:43 pm

TomKern wrote:
[erm] wrote:Illegal file-sharing is not condoned on this site, please do not recommend it again.
Is it illegal though? I mean it's a free release for everyone who has a Mac, so he's not stealing anything. And if I'm not mistaken even Hackintoshs were discussed here before as well.

Anyways, I had a similar issue before, because I didn't want to give my identity away to a megacorp and thus have no Apple ID.

I got in the end from the (physical) Apple store though. But that was back when DVDs were still a thing.
I dont see why this would be illegal either. There is no serial number associated with MacOs. There is nothing to crack because there is no copy protection and the operating system is free with the hardware. It would be the same as downloading a Linux distro via torrent.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:20 pm

TomKern wrote:
:evil:
Now there is something evil I would not touch with a ten foot pole. Those guys are outright fascists. They don't leave it at spying on your money flow, they decide what you can do with your money for you. (look up the scandal of how they held back donations to Wikileaks after the Manning leaks)
Well, all banks more or less are evil. I'm open for suggestions though and Apple should be as well.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Emanresu0891 wrote: I dont see why this would be illegal either. There is no serial number associated with MacOs. There is nothing to crack because there is no copy protection and the operating system is free with the hardware. It would be the same as downloading a Linux distro via torrent.
macOS. :roll: :P
That's only because the Linux license allows for this way of distributing. I actually already said that above.
Make some music!