Severe Automation Issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Division Monarchy

Severe Automation Issue

Post by Division Monarchy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:12 pm

I am having a severe problem with automation and playback.

When I record MIDI CC data from my iPad (I'm using Lemur and TC Data over Bluetooth) I am unable to get it to playback. The automation is there, but greyed out. The Re-Enable Automation button is continuously on, I can not get it to turn off and stay off.

I turn off all MIDI input to that track to ensure that it is not receiving a MIDI signal that would trigger it.

If I start a new Live Set and record some automation with Push, it will play back, but if I try it from my iPad it will not, and it will prevent Push automation from playing back ever again in that set on all tracks.

This is a severe automation issue that I need help in resolving. I am unable to simply record a performance with MIDI CC, or do any mixing in a way that is supposed to function. This Re-Enable Automation switch is a plague to music production.

madlab

Re: Severe Automation Issue

Post by madlab » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Just had this weird problem happening with an intense improvisation session for some theater work. Lemur on ipad for some granulation stuff and DS1 for the FX sends...
Desperation.
#supportPlease
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Division Monarchy wrote: The Re-Enable Automation button is continuously on, I can not get it to turn off and stay off.
I have one set where this button returns to pink at once. However, automation still seem to play back, so possibly a different, but related, problem. I have no MFL devices in that set.
Make some music!

madlab

Post by madlab » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:32 am

I can't believe there are only two of us with that issue. Could people who use Lemur or TouchOSC test this please ? Support please
Aboard from V. 1
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Did you guys tried to monitor the incoming midi with Midi Monitor (or something else on PC) ?
Ableton Forum Moderator

madlab

Post by madlab » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:30 pm

I'm going to do that with Midi Monitor and keep you aware but everything works fine as long as I don't record automation... The automation lanes are properly recorded but become inactive as soon as a new value is detected with a point on any lane it seems.
Aboard from V. 1
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc

madlab

Post by madlab » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm happy to tell you that I just found the reason of this misbehavior today : the culprit was a loop with the IAC bus, probably looping the controller values with a delay, causing the automation to panic.
I use Live in many different scenarios that's probably the reason why this happened to me for the first time. i still have to test this exact situation again to be sure. For now, the automation isn't deactivated anymore and I want to try a recording session with the same setup. What I don't understand though is that everything seemed to work fine when I recorded in the first place.
This won't be possible until the beginning of may as I'm now on tour and don't have the DS1 with me. I'll get back to you if the problem remains.
Aboard from V. 1
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc