Mapping more than 8 macro's OR save midi mapping in library

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: Mapping more than 8 macro's OR save midi mapping in library

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:44 pm

2pauluzz2 wrote:Yes, I now actually doubt if that is going to work because of this:
The plug-in in question would of course need to be able to internally map a CC to a specific parameter,
It's just a simple softsynth (great sounding, but no extra midi mapping capabilities) so I think I'll have to rely on Ableton for the midi mapping part.
Yes, that's a serious limitation. Of course, stuff like modulation wheel, pitchbend, Modulation, Breath and the other first 12 or so MIDI CC numbers often are pre-wired in many synths and patches. These may not be connected to the parts of the patch you want though, which is why parameter mapping or automation is a hot topic.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:05 pm

MIDI mapping won't work, this is done via scripts. There is an utility you can use:

http://www.nativekontrol.com/DDC.html

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:18 pm

According to the information here, the softsynth in question does include a MIDI learn feature. So you should be able to do what Stromkraft is suggesting – assign CCs from the controller to parameters in the softsynth via the softsynth's MIDI learn feature. Note that this process is different than Live's MIDI mapping feature. The assignments you make via MIDI learn are stored in the softsynth itself, not in a Live set. So, anytime you load the softsynth, those assignments will be in place.

The downsides to that approach are that you can only control the softsynth when the track containing it is either armed or its monitor is set to In. If it exists on multiple tracks and more than one is receiving input from the controller, you'll be controlling multiple instances of the softsynth. Additionally, if you use the controller to record automation of the parameters, that automation will show up as a MIDI Ctrl envelopes, which are a bit non-descript. Finally, the softsynth may not have a takeover feature and so it's possible that you will experience jumps in values when the values of your physical controls don't match the values of the parameters they're controlling. And, even if it does have a takeover feature, it would only work if each physical control only controls a single parameter.

DDC, as login suggested, is quite a bit more flexible and avoids all the problems mentioned above.

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for all suggestions. Both DDC (assuming it works the same for plugin as with native devices) and the midi learn option look very promising :!: I never even considered using midi learn. Great to know that those settings are stored with the soft synth itself.

I'll probably do some experimenting with midi learn to see how that works out. If the drawbacks to that approach are too big I might give DDC a try as well.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:19 pm

metastatik wrote:the softsynth may not have a takeover feature and so it's possible that you will experience jumps in values when the values of your physical controls don't match the values of the parameters they're controlling. And, even if it does have a takeover feature, it would only work if each physical control only controls a single parameter.
Thanks for filling in the blanks metastatik.

From the OPX PRO-II manual:
"A new MIDI CC processor allows for relative (REL) and fetched (FET) response to incoming MIDI CC data to get rid of parameter value jumps"
Looks promising at least.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:22 pm

login wrote:MIDI mapping won't work, this is done via scripts. There is an utility you can use:

http://www.nativekontrol.com/DDC.html
What would we do without nativekontrol?
Make some music!

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks again for your help everyone. I've been able to get the UC-33 going using the OPX-II's learn mode, and indeed the mapping is saved "with the instrument" so I can recall it anytime. And with the options under the synth's "PROCC" section the pickup is great as well.

A very nice way to both give new life to the midi controller and also to be able to edit the OPX more like an actual instrument :)

Kevin Hamler

Post by Kevin Hamler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:38 am

So, can I map more than 8 macro controls? I'm doing DMX lighting, and some of the fixtures have as many as 41 channels. Is 8 the limit, or is there a simple workaround for more macro controls?

Thanks!
(The artist formerly known as hambone1)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:34 am

Kevin Hamler wrote:So, can I map more than 8 macro controls?
More racks.
Make some music!