Push 2 faulty power button

Discuss Push with other users.
Artmuzz

Push 2 faulty power button

Post by Artmuzz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:50 pm

I just purchased Ableton Push 2. I got home and got very excited about experimenting with this beauty. However my excitement was short lived. When I switched Push 2 on it told me it was updating firmware then it told me to switch Push off and back on again. I switched it off but the problem is I cannot switch it back on. I tried keeping the power button pressed with my finger and it does switch on but once I release my finger it powers off again.

I phoned up my local music store and reported it as a defect. I have to take it back to get replacement. However I have already registered Push 2 on my Ableton account. How can I unregister it?

Tarekith

Re: Push 2 faulty power button

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Artmuzz

Post by Artmuzz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:04 pm

I contacted Ableton support and they managed to remove the Push 2 licence just in case I get a new replacement instead of a repair.

I took the Push 2 back to my local music store and the store manager tested it. He managed to get the unit switched on but when he switched it off and switched it on again the Push 2 wouldn't go on. This confirmed that there was a mechanical fault with the power button and there is probably a loose connection inside.

The store manager told me that he will send it back for a possible replacement or refund but I will not get news until next week.

Artmuzz

Post by Artmuzz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:44 pm

I received my Push 2 replacement today and so far so good the power button works. Here's hoping it stays that way.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Great news, thanks for keeping us updated!
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

redlester

Post by redlester » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:55 pm

I received my Push 2 today...and have exactly the same issue as you describe, Artmuzz.

Power button will not latch and I can't turn the unit on without keeping it pressed in.

Have contacted Ableton re. the license number, and will speak the the retailer in the morning.

I just wanted to place this on record that the problem is clearly not a one-off....

:cry:

wayne.rudd

Post by wayne.rudd » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Had the same problem out-of-the-box with my first Push 2, replaced by local music shop I purchased from (Rock Shop in NZ)

2nd Push 2 had a faulty pitch bend touch strip out-of-the-box, would jump to max randomly, again replaced

3rd Push 2 has been perfect so far

One of those occasion where very happy to have purchased locally, rather than trying to save $ by purchasing online from overseas

redlester

Post by redlester » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:04 am

wayne.rudd wrote:Had the same problem out-of-the-box with my first Push 2, replaced by local music shop I purchased from (Rock Shop in NZ)

2nd Push 2 had a faulty pitch bend touch strip out-of-the-box, would jump to max randomly, again replaced

3rd Push 2 has been perfect so far

One of those occasion where very happy to have purchased locally, rather than trying to save $ by purchasing online from overseas
Regarding the power switch - I would hope they might change it to a rocker switch rather than a latching pushbutton type one, at some point in the future.

If my replacement one works I think I might just leave the switch turned on forever, and turn the power on/off at the mains socket!

wayne.rudd

Post by wayne.rudd » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:00 pm

The push switch on my Push 1 felt and worked much better. You would need to unplug USB as well, as without external power it will still be powered on by USB alone - so the mains on/off trick doesn't really work.

rstcologne

Post by rstcologne » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:05 am

Seems to be more than an occasional thing. I have the exact same issue. Took the Push 2 out of the box, first time it worked. But switching off after the firmware update I now need to keep the button pressed otherwise it will not stay on. This looks like a QC issue Ableton should put some focus on.

cowby

Post by cowby » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 am

before sending to the local service center, I am using a tooth-pick trick. :mrgreen:

pheal

Post by pheal » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:08 pm

I just received my brand new Push 2 and have exactly the same problem. I managed to turn it on once, the firmware update went through and when I tried to turn it back on the "click" could not be heard and it won't stay powered on anymore unless I hold the power on button with my finger. I bought it directly from Ableton's website, I'm now waiting for a reply from support. I have another issue too with that unit as it came with a big scratch on one of the sides. I will update this post when I get my replacement unit.

This is my second Push 2, I had one last year that I had to sell to pay for some unexpected expenses. The first one I had worked beautifully. Well, bad luck for me this time, I was so excited to rekindle with my beloved Push :cry:

pheal

Post by pheal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Just an update: I received my replacement Push 2 unit... and it has exactly the same defect as the first one. The power on button click just works once, and then stops working and the Push 2 won't stay powered on. I'm very disappointed by the quality control, there must be a bad batch at the factory but the least would be to verify the units are working properly before sending them. So here we go, sending it back again and waiting for a third Push 2 :(

M4kina

Post by M4kina » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:01 pm

Disappointed to find that this power button issue is still going on

I bought a Push 2 this Black Friday from a reputable online retailer I've used a lot for buying gear. I'm having issues with my power button too, except instead of not turning on it won't turn off! 8O

When I first opened it and began setting it up, the very first time I "clicked" the Push on the power button got stuck pressed all the way down; It didn't pop back up. Now the button is just stuck that way. I have to completely unplug and disconnect to turn it off, which can't be good for it. :x

currently communicating with the retailer support to get it fixed or replaced. This is so disappointing

AbramsD

Post by AbramsD » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:18 pm

Having the same problem. Purchased mine through Ableton's website. Until I hear back from support, I've taken an eraser from a mechanical pencil, placed it over the button, and duct-taped it on. Seems to work OK, but would prefer a proper functioning button.