Chain selectors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mothergarage

Re: Chain selectors

Post by mothergarage » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:09 pm

TomKern wrote: If someone shows up, who knows not to piss on people he/she needs help off, I will certainly give a detailed run down of how to use clyphx to use 5 buttons to jump to 5 different values of the same parameter. :D
On Push and any MIDI keyboard (and probably launchpad too) you don't need ClyphX.
Just enter Midi map mode.
Select the parameter you want to map.
Then press the first button (key) (keep pressed) and press the last button (key).
Release.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:37 pm

mothergarage wrote:
TomKern wrote: If someone shows up, who knows not to piss on people he/she needs help off, I will certainly give a detailed run down of how to use clyphx to use 5 buttons to jump to 5 different values of the same parameter. :D
On Push and any MIDI keyboard (and probably launchpad too) you don't need ClyphX.
Just enter Midi map mode.
Select the parameter you want to map.
Then press the first button (key) (keep pressed) and press the last button (key).
Release.
I know this to work for Midi note values. But does that also work for Midi CCs?

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:52 pm

TomKern wrote: I know this to work for Midi note values. But does that also work for Midi CCs?
probably not, but the kid requested assistance for the launchpad and it's notes there (AFAIK).

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:19 pm

mothergarage wrote:
TomKern wrote: I know this to work for Midi note values. But does that also work for Midi CCs?
probably not, but the kid requested assistance for the launchpad and it's notes there (AFAIK).
No, the left/right side and top/bottom buttons on the LP Pro are CCs, which I would assume he'd use for switching, so he can use the grid for triggering the samples.

This is different from the LP-S and the original LP (and I assume the mini, which I don't own)

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:00 pm

TomKern wrote: No, the left/right side and top/bottom buttons on the LP Pro are CCs, which I would assume he'd use for switching, so he can use the grid for triggering the samples.

This is different from the LP-S and the original LP (and I assume the mini, which I don't own)
well I'd just use the bottom row of the 8x8 grid for switching like in that midifighter video.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 pm

mothergarage wrote:
TomKern wrote: No, the left/right side and top/bottom buttons on the LP Pro are CCs, which I would assume he'd use for switching, so he can use the grid for triggering the samples.

well I'd just use the bottom row of the 8x8 grid for switching like in that midifighter video.
:?:
Why?!
There are 32 buttons on the LP Pro external to the grid, why not use them?
I mean yeah, if you think 56 samples to trigger is as good as 64 then sure. I would even agree.
But if you are of the opinion that 5 times 64 samples just barely cuts it, like that guy apparently does, then why would you waste 8 velocity sensitive pads per page, if you have 32 normal buttons that are unused?!

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 pm

TomKern wrote:
mothergarage wrote:

:?:
Why?!
There are 32 buttons on the LP Pro external to the grid, why not use them?
I mean yeah, if you think 56 samples to trigger is as good as 64 then sure. I would even agree.
But if you are of the opinion that 5 times 64 samples just barely cuts it, like that guy apparently does, then why would you waste 8 velocity sensitive pads per page, if you have 32 normal buttons that are unused?!
because it's easier to set up.
and if you know certain sounds (eg kick/ snare) sit on certain buttons it's easier to develop routines

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:09 pm

mothergarage wrote: because it's easier to set up.
Well, I guess that's a matter of philosophy.
Learn once how to use clyphX to do it properly and have a very powerful general tool to use from then on. Or half ass it for quick and dirty results and be stuck again next time, when that workaround with using note values doesn't work for some reason.
and if you know certain sounds (eg kick/ snare) sit on certain buttons it's easier to develop routines
No doubt, but I don't see how wasting 8 velocity sensitive pads helps with this. You can build a great routine with 64 pads as well.

The legend 27

Post by The legend 27 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:46 am

TomKern wrote:
mothergarage wrote: because it's easier to set up.
Well, I guess that's a matter of philosophy.
Learn once how to use clyphX to do it properly and have a very powerful general tool to use from then on. Or half ass it for quick and dirty results and be stuck again next time, when that workaround with using note values doesn't work for some reason.
No doubt, but I don't see how wasting 8 velocity sensitive pads helps with this. You can build a great routine with 64 pads as well.

Well, I guess you didn't help me at all :lol:
I went with ableton live 9 trial, but never signed in. So I get to use it unlimitedly until I activate it. The only downside is that I can't use save/export. Whatever.

So, instead of what I said up there, I decided to re map each sound do the buttons he did in the video with TheWarmUp's thing. I dont have a user 2, so I got a launchpad pro version from the youtuber Adriano. But, I can't access user 2 or the other buttons he uses. At least tell me that XD.

Thanks for not doing what I asked? Idk anymore, I guess you gave up.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:28 am

The legend 27 wrote:

Well, I guess you didn't help me at all :lol:
I went with ableton live 9 trial, but never signed in. So I get to use it unlimitedly until I activate it. The only downside is that I can't use save/export. Whatever.

So, instead of what I said up there, I decided to re map each sound do the buttons he did in the video with TheWarmUp's thing. I dont have a user 2, so I got a launchpad pro version from the youtuber Adriano. But, I can't access user 2 or the other buttons he uses. At least tell me that XD.

Thanks for not doing what I asked? Idk anymore, I guess you gave up.
"Reality is which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K Dick in How To Build A Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later (1978)
Make some music!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:29 pm

:lol:

I know it must be hard to realize you have a problem you barely understand and when you finally tracked someone down, who not only can help you, but has even shown the willingness to spend some effort on doing so, you went out of your way to alienate him.

There could be a lesson learned for the future here...
The legend 27 wrote: Thanks for not doing what I asked? ... I guess you gave up.
...or I guess you could just frame it as the other guys failure. :lol:

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 pm

I would approach that with dummy clips that's envelopes change the chain selector. That way you could assign the momentary buttons to launch them, and the change would stay until you played another, no?

Also, here's a small snippet of a slow amassing rant in my mind:

The legend 27 - Seriously? I don't think you appreciate how lucky you are even getting a reply on here, there's been conversations about the "decline of forums" etc in regards to their heyday being over, people don't spend such time on communities, and it's true. Plenty of people here have questions going unanswered all the time, whether it's because they don't articulate their question well, or they come across as so totally out of touch with DAWs and the like, or they're rude, or get smart arse replies of link to just-google-it or comments like "just google it". It's happened to me enough, and I've seen it happen to others.

Not only did you phrase you're question like a moron, i.e. responce number 2 was forced to be:
TomKern wrote:What is your question again?
You're also clearly not into, or even trying to be into Ableton.

You're rude, and increasingly rude as you had more and more attempts to help you.

Effectively you are EVERYTHING that lowers the tone, atmosphere, and therefore community of a forum making it harder for people to muster the will to help genuine problems.

Help - even if you don't understand it - should be appreciated, if not for you, then for encouragement that people trying to help you is a good thing.

Help in a field that you cannot comprehend the help, surely you must ask yourself what the point of requesting help is?
E.G. - I'm bad at woodwork, so I don't build a Longship's Figure Head. I also don't ask for help, about how to do it, from people who do. If I'm that hell bent on making one, I might first learn to use a chisel on, say, a plank. If that went well perhaps I would try something a bit more complicated.
Only through asking such out of depth questions, could an answer lead to greater confusion.
The legend 27 wrote: You cleared nothing up but just made it worse.
- Count yourself lucky you got any reply.
- Don't ask questions you don't want, or are not capable of dealing with, an answer to.
- Don't be rude, especially when people try to help.
- Don't be that guy who makes really helpful people think "actually, today I won't go online and offer my time and help for free, I might meet The legend 27 again....

And lastly, for someone named "The legend 27" - ripped out of the advert for an android game, in which a girl kills all her friends characters with a character of this name, as lame as all of the symbolism of you being a back-stabbing, manipulative, but powerful warrior, you really have to ask if that name ingrained itself in your head from an advert - what right do you have to argue what is and isn't marketing?

Peels

Post by Peels » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:59 pm

TomKern for president of the United States of America

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Peels wrote:TomKern for president of the United States of America
Hell no! You'll can clean up the mess you made yourself :x

Soununder

Post by Soununder » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:08 am

Can i just say this is one of the most helpful posts ive found in regards to this issue. I recently picked up a midi fighter 64 myself and I'm an ableton noob so to speak. Iv'e come from years of working on FL studio to having to use ableton and my biggest struggle over the last couple months has been attempting to work out a way to change chain selectors and banks while using my midi fighter. Thankyou to the people who answered the post cause without you i would still be stuck. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: