Allow deep integration of the Nektar Panorama controllers!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
SvenH

Allow deep integration of the Nektar Panorama controllers!

Post by SvenH » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:01 pm

I miss the deep integration of my Panorama P1 and P4 that's available in Reason, Cubase and Reaper, particularly for programming patches in synths like Sylenth1 and Serum!

(As far as I have understood it, Nektartech wnants to do this, but Ableton is not interested enough to make it possible.)

psychocaine

Re: Allow deep integration of the Nektar Panorama controllers!

Post by psychocaine » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:42 pm

I wish they do this too. It's one of the best keyboard controller in the market.
The Reaper integration is absolutely awesome, Ableton should allow them to do te same.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:29 pm

This is probably the sixth or seventh post on the same thing....

Cheers
D

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:09 pm

S4racen wrote:This is probably the sixth or seventh post on the same thing....
So why has nothing been done about it yet? :wink:

No sorry, but seriously, I did a search before posting, but obviously my search skills are not that good...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Either a manufacturer does it's own thing and writes it own scripts or it probably pays Ableton to write them for them, i'd think it highly unlikely that Ableton would write them out of the goodness of their own hearts to sell other peoples hardware... Just saying...

Cheers
D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:59 am

A while back I asked them what's up
I wrote:I've been planning to buy a Panorama for years, but my main DAW is Ableton for which you only offer the oldest of old-school templates for. Us users often write python scripts which access the Ableton API and browse the library, control devices, retrieve names, etc. So you guys should be right on top of this as this is your skill base. So go on, what's the reason for the omission? It's been suggested that Bitwig have forced you to not support Ableton, which I think is very doubtful. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222476
I suspect there's a technological reason. Buy I can't imagine what it might be. Well, your controllers seem like good products and I'll buy one if I ever migrate away from Ableton.
all the best - Steve Angstrom
Nektar wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your interest in the Panorama series.
As a Live user since v4, I totally understand where you are coming from. While I can't go into any details, I can assure you that there is nothing nefarious going on. The Bitwig guys are cool, we're their distributors in the US and the UK. We've also worked with people who are at Ableton now. It's a small industry. ;-)
Much as I'd love to see deep integration for Live (and Pro Tools for that matter), I don't think it's going to happen any time in the near future. So for now, we're focused on improving our current DAW integration and different methods of communication, which could allow for more flexibility.
If you have any other questions, just let me know.
So, um. That's what we know.

Taurean_Soundlabs

Post by Taurean_Soundlabs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 pm

This is also kind of disappointing to me but I am more an avid creator in Reason than anything else, but like to use all the tools in Live and the mountain of vintage VSTs (some that needed Jbridge to run) that I possess. So, how do you work around wanting to control Reason machines during a live set, recording session or otherwise and still have all of the familiar controls you are used to on your Panorama? Simply midi out to a reason machine or combinator, mixer, etc from a midi channel in Live. Route that machine's audio into whichever busses in Reason you want . Create an audio track in live and select the reason busses for that machine as playback into the Live set. I think you can figure it out from there. Don't bother trying to get Live to find this awesome machine, Use Live as the slave with a loop through into your Reason Banks you worked so hard on!

Taurean_Soundlabs

Post by Taurean_Soundlabs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:43 pm

You can also better compartmentalize your Reason machines into one audio channel back into Live by routing all the machines to a 16 channel mixer and selecting "Reason Mixer L/R" as the playback in your Live audio channel. This is helpful if you have a rack the size of the Eiffel Tower in Reason and don't want to extend your Live Mixer out to so many channels in and out you cant handle them easily with mouse input. You still need to create a midi track for each machine or combinator, but you just have one audio input from the Reason mixer to worry about. I hope this helps anyone That has a set up like this.

Taurean_Soundlabs

Post by Taurean_Soundlabs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:48 pm

Taurean_Soundlabs wrote:This is also kind of disappointing to me but I am more an avid creator in Reason than anything else, but like to use all the tools in Live and the mountain of vintage VSTs (some that needed Jbridge to run) that I possess. So, how do you work around wanting to control Reason machines during a live set, recording session or otherwise and still have all of the familiar controls you are used to on your Panorama? Simply midi out to a reason machine or combinator, mixer, etc from a midi channel in Live. Route that machine's audio into whichever busses in Reason you want . Create an audio track in live and select the reason busses for that machine as playback into the Live set. I think you can figure it out from there. Don't bother trying to get Live to find this awesome machine, Use Live as the slave with a loop through into your Reason Banks you worked so hard on!
When you midi into your Reason machine, it recognizes all of the Nektar controls just as if you only had Reason running by itself.Sync The tempo in Reason with Live to play in time, Or warp Live clips to the Reason Tempo you are working with.

tnussb

Post by tnussb » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:30 pm

This is definitly not about allowance, because Ableton Live allows any controller to be integrated with scripts.

It's about a manufacturer not willing to write a simple script for Ableton Live. With all the different controllers on the market Ableton is simply not able to write these scripts by their own for each and every controller. They need the manufacturers to provide these scripts to them.

Writing these scripts isn't hard nor is it really time consuming. With testing 2 man days should be enough ...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 pm

tnussb wrote:This is definitly not about allowance, because Ableton Live allows any controller to be integrated with scripts.

It's about a manufacturer not willing to write a simple script for Ableton Live. With all the different controllers on the market Ableton is simply not able to write these scripts by their own for each and every controller. They need the manufacturers to provide these scripts to them.

Writing these scripts isn't hard nor is it really time consuming. With testing 2 man days should be enough ...
Crack on then!

Cheers
D

login

Post by login » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Any company could hire Stray from native control or other of the talented developers who write scripts and make some deep integration.

Nativekontrol does it, the guys from Lemur did it, as well as the other apps as touchable, etc. So it is not ableton fault but Nektar decision not to invest in this.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 pm

login wrote:Any company could hire Stray from native control or other of the talented developers who write scripts and make some deep integration.

Nativekontrol does it, the guys from Lemur did it, as well as the other apps as touchable, etc. So it is not ableton fault but Nektar decision not to invest in this.
First real quote... Either pay Ableton to write the script and include the controller or roll your own....

Cheers
D

Kritix Choyce

Post by Kritix Choyce » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Well lets do it! Lets write our own scripts. I am very interested in this controller and am an avid Live user. I also program in C++ and C#, as well as Python. Either way and/or regardless of what language it uses, I am willing and confident that I can figure out how to get this working. I just need some idea where to start or some resources to read.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:57 am

Any news on this ?
I just discovered the Panorama and i'd love to be able to have custom screen + controls per set. Really frustrating !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1