LFO kills undo functionality?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ivarin

LFO kills undo functionality?

Post by ivarin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:54 pm

what i noticed is when LFO device is active somewhere within Live set, last undo action is always that parameter which is mapped to actually LFO device (well, there is straight logic in that but come on, seriously?)

is anyone experiencing the same annoyance or is it just me?) what could be done with that?

thanks for feedback

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: LFO kills undo functionality?

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 pm

This shouldn't be the case.
Are you talking about the M4L Essentials LFO?
Are you running the latest version of this pack (and Max)?
Ableton Forum Moderator

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:15 am

[jur],
thanks for responding back

both yes.
verified that on clean set with one native device and one lfo, case is not reproduced there.
another weird thing is that Live asks if to save changes when quitting in spite of my pressing cmd+S a moment ago. there's obviously something nudging that 'Diffuse' device in my set but i can't think of anything but lfo (and it's under lfo indeed)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 am

You're speaking about the Surreal Machines "Diffuse"?
If so, it shouldn't fill the undo history either, but I'll check.
Ableton Forum Moderator

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 am

yepp, i meant that exactly device.

just reproduced the case on a new set:

- put Diffuse, LFO to a send A
- map LFO to Repeat (at least what i reproduced here)

AR there's always "Undo change in Diffuse" in the Edit menu, cmd+Z does nothing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ls5xc6j30s4ho ... t.zip?dl=0

-- update:
the same with 'Repeat' parameter in Magnetic

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:54 am

Ok, I've just checked and this is indeed because of Diffuse.
Note that it only happen when its Repeat parameters is set to ms, to problem when it's set to sync.
Note also that when changing Repeat "by hand" i.e not with LFO and then cmd-z, it will not jump straight to the previous value but will instead "ride" or slide to it. I suspect that this is where to look at; thing is, this parameter is smooth out by design, not sure out to solve this.
Could you report this to support@ableton.com please?
Ableton Forum Moderator

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 am

will do, but frankly i'm not relying on them. not hearing from them for a couple of months regarding my previous issue

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 am

Please do, even if they do not answer you they'll pass the info to the Surreal Machines devs.
Ableton Forum Moderator

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 am

good idea, thanks for pointing to that, also contacted Surreal Machines via support@surrealmachines.com

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 am

ivarin wrote:good idea, thanks for pointing to that, also contacted Surreal Machines via support@surrealmachines.com
well done :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

stkr

Post by stkr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi there ivin & [jur], thanks for all this.

Just so others know, I have been in touch with ivin through Surreal Machines support and will report back here our findings once we get to the bottom of this.

I am not surprised to hear of issues with Magnetic Repeat dial, but I am surprised to hear of issues with Diffuse Repeat dial, so I suspect this may be more complicated than just the Dub Machines devices in this scenario.

All the best for now,
stkr.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:09 pm

The Undo issue is known by Cycling and Ableton and has remained unfixed for about.. Ehm, when was the Live 8.2.2 release?
Your problem is just with one LFO, imagine switching 16 of them at once. You'll get at least 32 undo "Change" actions.
The whole Undo feature is there, literally to undo the mapping of an LFO. Right in the way of the 101 different things you might want to achieve. There is no workaround.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:42 pm

hoffman2k wrote:The Undo issue is known by Cycling and Ableton and has remained unfixed for about.. Ehm, when was the Live 8.2.2 release?
Your problem is just with one LFO, imagine switching 16 of them at once. You'll get at least 32 undo "Change" actions.
The whole Undo feature is there, literally to undo the mapping of an LFO. Right in the way of the 101 different things you might want to achieve. There is no workaround.
As said before, LFO isn't the culprit here.
Ableton Forum Moderator

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:04 pm

[jur] wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:The Undo issue is known by Cycling and Ableton and has remained unfixed for about.. Ehm, when was the Live 8.2.2 release?
As said before, LFO isn't the culprit here.
I know, its Persistent Mapping. Present in some live.xxx objects. The most used one being the LFO (live.remote~). But it goes for all mapping devices.
Any action that changes an ID on an object with persistent mapping, will add a "Undo Change" to the menu. Devices with multiple objects keeping track of the ID, will add an "Undo Change" for each object. Resulting in the problem of added Undo actions that undo nothing at best and break device functionality at worst.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:05 pm

had this with diffuse and j74 bassline + progressive