Do you turn off your Push 2 after daily usage?

Discuss Push with other users.
tekara

Do you turn off your Push 2 after daily usage?

Post by tekara » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:14 am

Hey guys,

Just wondering since Push 2 doesn't have a power button and since I'm connected via USB for power, I've noticed when I turn down the studio at night the LED lights still are alight (Although very faded). Does this burn out the LED light over the long term? Do you guys unpower by taking out the USB connection? IS it okay to leave on indefinitely for the long term?

Thanks

Tarekith

Re: Do you turn off your Push 2 after daily usage?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:07 am

Umm, Push 2 does have a power button actually :)

amkr

Post by amkr » Fri May 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Yeah and the manual [or yellow thing] lol - said to unplug the Power [and USB?] if not in use for long periods of time too btw.

wayne.rudd

Post by wayne.rudd » Fri May 05, 2017 11:41 pm

LED's of the type in Push don't generally burn out over time, so no real harm leaving on overnight - in fact something to be said for leaving it turned on extends the life as you avoid the cooling down/warming up thermal contraction/expansion cycles which actually impacts the life of electronics the most...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun May 07, 2017 2:49 am

wayne.rudd wrote:LED's of the type in Push don't generally burn out over time, so no real harm leaving on overnight - in fact something to be said for leaving it turned on extends the life as you avoid the cooling down/warming up thermal contraction/expansion cycles which actually impacts the life of electronics the most...
Yeah that's all wrong there

It will reduce the lifespan because it's not just LEDs the backlight is an EL backlight (Electro Luminescence) which is different from LED's and does not have the same lifespan. I have other gear with the same type (Mackie MCU) and that did burn out over time (though I am certain it's a manufacture fault on that one). Additionally it will start to fade in brightness over time too but how much depends on the manufacturer and quality of the backlight. Keep in mind the total life span (with software support) would be probably 10 years so.

In regards to leaving something ON to keep it in a warm state etc, this may be slightly true for something that is high powered and requires a large influx of current to startup but most electronics will be the opposite or have no effect what so ever. If the device contains an internal switch mode power supply then the capacitors can become exhausted over time which is accelerated with heat.

The last thing to mention is that if you leave power connected constantly then you increase the risk of things like voltage spikes and surges affecting the device too, though rare, it can happen.

TLDR: if you are not using it just switch it OFF to be sure. don't worry about unplugging the USB or anything, just use the power button on the back.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun May 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Another, more general question is: do you unplug your gear from the wall socket(s) when you call it a day? I've got most of my gear on a single power strip, so it's just a matter of taking one cord out, but lately, I've gotten rather lazy about it. I will still do it if a thunderstorm is definitely on its way, but I used to do it every night, in case of a freak lightning bolt.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun May 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Personally I have an active UPS with surge protection and a master switch I built that physically disconnects most of my gear at the end of the day via a relay. I also have a dual surge and lightning arrestor on the house phone line connected directly to ground but failing that and depending on the area you live it's always wise to unplug things in a storm.

I use to live in the country and it was far more of a risk to get surges because of the long spans of telephone and transmission wires over the country side and not much else. In the city, lightning issues are not as common but surges and "brownouts" where power drops for a second then surges back on can be more common.

A great investment for anyone is decent UPS with active filtering to provide a more stable power supply and switching things off when not in use. Get a power board with a foot switch of it makes things easier.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 07, 2017 2:32 pm

I use a UPS and some pretty beefy rack-mounted Monster power strips/conditioners for all my gear. One button turns off the music gear I don't need to be on over night, another turns off the computer stuff.

MayDayZay

Post by MayDayZay » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:22 am

I always try to turn it off and unplug it after every use! However I have a question for anyone in the forum! Do you power it off during your live session or after you have quit the live browser??

Thanks,

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:52 am

MayDayZay wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:22 am
I always try to turn it off and unplug it after every use! However I have a question for anyone in the forum! Do you power it off during your live session or after you have quit the live browser??

Thanks,
Either/Or, doesn't really make a difference. Sometimes when I am not using Push at all I switch it off while using Live just to not have it glowing brightly in front of me, sometimes I forget to switch it off.

The one thing that irks me with Push 2 from Push 1 (when this thread was created by the looks) is P2 can be bus powered and I have it connected to a powered USB hub so if I do not switch it off it is always on. P1 was PSU powered only so when I switch off my desk power it went off too which I much prefer but it's a first world problem to press another button.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:55 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:52 am
P1 was PSU powered only so when I switch off my desk power it went off too which I much prefer but it's a first world problem to press another button.
Nope, my Push 1 is certainly bus powered ;)
The lights are a bit dimmer when not using the psu, which is nice late at night, but not so much in daylight.