I don`t like the velocity changer in the Pianoroll. Help!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MCS Productions

I don`t like the velocity changer in the Pianoroll. Help!

Post by MCS Productions » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Heya. I`m working a lot with launchpad mashups and covers.
Because I`m using midiExtension, I`m creating my lightshows in the pianoroll, before putting them on my launchpad.

Now, it can be really messy, to adjust that velocity, by draging that velocity fader. It`s a pain to be honest.
It`s not like it has a big impact on samples, cuz when it sounds good, it sounds good.

But if you neeed a certain tone of collor, with a certain brightness, an you can only get it on lets say 73, but your cursor jumpes arround for 20 sec, till you randomly hit that " 73 "...
Sux really bad.

Is there a way, to map the Velocity+ and velocity- by +1 and -1 on, lets say my computer keyboard? Trying to figure it out since a while. doesn`t really seems to be working.

ObtuseMoose

Re: I don`t like the velocity changer in the Pianoroll. Help!

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:33 pm

MCS Productions wrote: ...
Now, it can be really messy, to adjust that velocity, by draging that velocity fader.
But if you neeed a certain tone of collor, with a certain brightness, an you can only get it on lets say 73, but your cursor jumpes arround for 20 sec, till you randomly hit that " 73 "
Is there a way, to map the Velocity+ and velocity- by +1 and -1 on, lets say my computer keyboard?
I don't think there's a way to map velocity changes to a keystroke. However, something that might help is to expand the velocity editing pane in the piano roll view. I.e. drag the bar separating the velocity editing pane from the note edit pane up as far as it will go. To get even more control, enlarge the pianoroll area by dragging the bar separating it from the mixer area up. Enlarging the velocity edit pane expands the velocity scaling with mouse movements, giving you much more control for hitting specific values.

Not as handy as having a keyboard key to increment and decrement velocity, but it might help with the precision editing you're trying to do.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:11 pm

MCS Productions wrote: Is there a way, to map the Velocity+ and velocity- by +1 and -1 on, lets say my computer keyboard? Trying to figure it out since a while. doesn`t really seems to be working.
Well, as this doable from Push — you hold down notes and use an encoder to change velocity — it must be in the API.
Make some music!

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Mon May 01, 2017 7:27 am

Not sure what you want to do, but here are some ideas about volume that work in some situations, but it might not be relevant to your situation:

1) Usually, holding down Ctrl while mousing will make the increments smaller.
2) Alt mousing over midi notes allows easier control of volume, and you can select multiple midi notes.
3) You can expand the volume as high as you like as someone else mentioned.
4) You can midi-map to a controller knob to volume faders.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue May 02, 2017 1:17 am

Martin Gifford wrote:Not sure what you want to do, but here are some ideas about volume that work in some situations, but it might not be relevant to your situation:

1) Usually, holding down Ctrl while mousing will make the increments smaller.
2) Alt mousing over midi notes allows easier control of volume, and you can select multiple midi notes.
3) You can expand the volume as high as you like as someone else mentioned.
4) You can midi-map to a controller knob to volume faders.
He's talking of note velocity, not volume. Slight difference.

This is a bit of a pain when you need a specific velocity value for control because as you have noted, there is no way to manually enter a value. Holding ALT and adjusting the note is also not fine enough to easily dial in a specific value.

Best I have been able to do is to resize the envelope window to half the screen size and drag the level. Much more precise than using it as a small window.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 02, 2017 7:36 am

I'm not sure if this would help, but you could just use the Velocity MIDI device and then simply use the automation lane for fine adjustments.

Btw. I don't like the little handles of the velocity bars much either. They are way too hard to grab when you have many of them.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue May 02, 2017 8:54 am

TomKern wrote: Btw. I don't like the little handles of the velocity bars much either. They are way too hard to grab when you have many of them.
Ditto on that

I use ALT + Note for that but in the OP's case, that will not help him as it is not accurate enough to adjust by a single increment. What he needs is manual entry of the value but I can't see that is possible.

MCS Productions

Post by MCS Productions » Tue May 02, 2017 5:04 pm

Well thanks for your answers, but as I taught, apparently there is no way for my needs.

Draging the window sure is the best way, to expand the gap.

Because I`m launchpadding, as it`s supposed 2, I`m playing in User mode.
Wich means, I`m working for like 20 minutes on a lightshow, wich is going to play at maximum for 1 -2 seconds.

With over 400 Samples for my current project, the pain is incredible. Would really appreciate a function, to manually enter the value.
But hey, I guess I need 2 deal with it :P

Thanks anyways! Have a good one.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Just out of curiosity. What are those Launchpad light shows for? I have a hard time imagining someone going to a show just to see some lights change rhythmically on a tiny Launchpad. :?

MCS Productions

Post by MCS Productions » Tue May 02, 2017 6:10 pm

I`m controlling my self build " Lightdevices " with the trigger of a sample.

My Launchpad basicly does his own smaller lightshow, but 15 other devices are getting controlled with it, same as another row of 8 Launchpads.

Imagine the time it takes to programm such a lightshow. That`s the reason for this tread.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 02, 2017 6:39 pm

MCS Productions wrote:I`m controlling my self build " Lightdevices " with the trigger of a sample.

My Launchpad basicly does his own smaller lightshow, but 15 other devices are getting controlled with it, same as another row of 8 Launchpads.

Imagine the time it takes to programm such a lightshow. That`s the reason for this tread.
I'm just asking because you are far from the first asking about light shows on LPs here.

But honestly aren't even 24 Launchpads awfully small for a live light show? And also quite expensive for a simple LED grid?! (I mean that's 24 LP x 64 Pads x 3 RGB LEDs = 4608 LEDs for what?! ca. 2400 USD?! 8O)

MCS Productions

Post by MCS Productions » Mon May 08, 2017 5:04 am

That`s exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot!

MCS Productions

Post by MCS Productions » Mon May 08, 2017 5:06 am

TomKern wrote:
MCS Productions wrote:I`m controlling my self build " Lightdevices " with the trigger of a sample.

I'm just asking because you are far from the first asking about light shows on LPs here.

But honestly aren't even 24 Launchpads awfully small for a live light show? And also quite expensive for a simple LED grid?! (I mean that's 24 LP x 64 Pads x 3 RGB LEDs = 4608 LEDs for what?! ca. 2400 USD?! 8O)

" Awfully small " is something good, when it comes to lightshows. It`s like comparing a 240p vs 1080p PC Monitor. Higher Resolution -> More sharpness. Even tho, it comes with a lot of work. But it`s worth it.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 am

MCS Productions wrote: " Awfully small " is something good, when it comes to lightshows. It`s like comparing a 240p vs 1080p PC Monitor. Higher Resolution -> More sharpness. Even tho, it comes with a lot of work. But it`s worth it.
You lost me there