Apply autofliter in a whole song with 6 external outputs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
marctaule

Apply autofliter in a whole song with 6 external outputs

Post by marctaule » Mon May 08, 2017 11:00 am

I have a song with 6 tracks and each track comes out through an external output.
I don't use the master channel.
I would like to add an auto filter to the whole song but I do not know how to do it with push 2.
can anybody help me?

timday

Re: Apply autofliter in a whole song with 6 external outputs

Post by timday » Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm

If it's 6 outputs you'd need to add the filter to each output group or bus as the audio presumably does not share a channel at any point. If you want to control them all together I think you'd have to map using MIDI learn, or find or build a Max device that would control several channels from one device.

This would apply with or without Push 2

Unless I've misunderstood what you're asking

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon May 08, 2017 1:24 pm

Or use it on a send. (you'd need one more ext out for the return channel of course)

marctaule

Post by marctaule » Mon May 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks for your answers.

Timday if I use a send I don't know how to send this send to the external output...

Tomkern, you understood me, it's ok what you said. I'd like to control all the filter track's together. Maybe I'll have to find a Max device...

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon May 08, 2017 3:11 pm

marctaule wrote:Thanks for your answers.

Timday if I use a send I don't know how to send this send to the external output...

Tomkern, you understood me, it's ok what you said. I'd like to control all the filter track's together. Maybe I'll have to find a Max device...
I think you mixed up me and timday 8)

Btw, each return track also has an "audio to" menu that you can use to route the output anywhere you like. You can also route all of the returns to one audio track in Live and then use that to output it to your external mixing board.

marctaule

Post by marctaule » Mon May 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi TomKern,

I see the "audio to" in the return track, but I don't know how to do it :(
I attach an image, if you can help me.

Thanks!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon May 08, 2017 4:01 pm

Well you will have to click on that Audio To menu, and choose Ext Out :wink:

marctaule

Post by marctaule » Mon May 08, 2017 4:05 pm

yes, but where I have to click? Because if I click on Master, the filter goes to master output. I need that the filter affects to each individual tracks. Do you know what I mean? It's difficult to explain it for me in english hehe :oops:

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon May 08, 2017 4:57 pm

:?
Not sure where the confusion lies.
In your picture you have already opened the Audio Out menu of the Autofilter return.
Right now "Master" is selected. You need to choose the option two slots above that where it says "Ext. Out"

Once you do the sub menu on this return will get active and you can choose which Ext. Out of your sound card you want to assign.

As to how you assign your six tracks to the Autofilter return: you use the Send dials on each of them.

marctaule

Post by marctaule » Mon May 08, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanx for all your answers. I appreciate.
The point is I need it for a live session, keeping the 6 outputs to send it to the sound technician. Otherwise, through the master option I would only have L and R outputs to send to the sound technician, and then the technician can't do anything, so I don't want to do that.
The return option doesn't allow me to choose all the tracks at the same time to apply the same filter.
I've got a solution through the MIDI MAP (giving a filter to each track, mapping all frequencies and resonances by the knobs) but that means using the "user mode" on PUSH2, which is annoying.
Sorry, it's not easy to explain what I am searching.
Cheers

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon May 08, 2017 5:48 pm

marctaule wrote: The return option doesn't allow me to choose all the tracks at the same time to apply the same filter.
sure it does

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:27 pm

You can't use one single filter to filter 6 channels at once that are intended to be controlled seperately. If you ran all sounds through one filter they would be combined and then there would be no control over individual channels from the mixing person.

If you do get filters on all channels, you'll need a device which allows you to map all of their freq and res functions to a single control for each of those parameters.

This can probably be done with midi mapping of sorts or max or even Clyphx (have a rack for each inside of a rack that controls all at once).

But then comes the whole factor of how you want to control them with a controller. Push would require that you jump to the channel that controls all these. Which wouldn't be that difficult but could be mildly cumbersome. It might be easiest to have a small, cheap, midi controller off to the side that has all the filters mapped to it so you can use the Push to focus on bigger-better things.

marctaule

Post by marctaule » Tue May 09, 2017 6:45 am

yur2die4 wrote:You can't use one single filter to filter 6 channels at once that are intended to be controlled seperately. If you ran all sounds through one filter they would be combined and then there would be no control over individual channels from the mixing person.

If you do get filters on all channels, you'll need a device which allows you to map all of their freq and res functions to a single control for each of those parameters.

This can probably be done with midi mapping of sorts or max or even Clyphx (have a rack for each inside of a rack that controls all at once).

But then comes the whole factor of how you want to control them with a controller. Push would require that you jump to the channel that controls all these. Which wouldn't be that difficult but could be mildly cumbersome. It might be easiest to have a small, cheap, midi controller off to the side that has all the filters mapped to it so you can use the Push to focus on bigger-better things.

Hi yur2die4!
Thanks for your answer. This is what I imagined! :)
I think that the best option is buy a small midi controller as you said. Do you know anyone?
Thank you again!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 am

antic604 wrote:
TomKern wrote::?
Not sure where the confusion lies.
In your picture you have already opened the Audio Out menu of the Autofilter return.
Right now "Master" is selected. You need to choose the option two slots above that where it says "Ext. Out"

Once you do the sub menu on this return will get active and you can choose which Ext. Out of your sound card you want to assign.

As to how you assign your six tracks to the Autofilter return: you use the Send dials on each of them.
He specifically said he needs to output to SIX SEPARATE external outputs.
In his OP he said:
I have a song with 6 tracks and each track comes out through an external output.
So nothing about "needs to", just that this is what he does right now.
I pointed out that he would need another EXT. Out for the "Send" method right in my response where I suggested it.

So I don't know what you are on about.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 09, 2017 11:46 am

antic604 wrote:@TomKern:
marctaule wrote:The point is I need it for a live session, keeping the 6 outputs to send it to the sound technician. Otherwise, through the master option I would only have L and R outputs to send to the sound technician, and then the technician can't do anything, so I don't want to do that.Cheers
Sorry if I sounded hostile, but if the guy mentioned six outputs then apparently it is important (and thus: a requirement) for him.
Seriously? Try reading between the lines a bit!

He says he doesn't want to only output the Master as L+R, he want's a separate signal for all the sounds. That would not change with seven outputs. Rather the opposite, as he would now have output of the filtered signal plus the unfiltered ones.

Your pedantry is seriously misplaced here