Ableton Live user interface REDESIGN feedback

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nndmlsvc

Ableton Live user interface REDESIGN feedback

Post by nndmlsvc » Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 am

Hey guys,

Recently I posted here my Ableton Live interface survey (https://goo.gl/forms/806wJyPwlgyzaQS32). I finally finished it and I would love to get some feedback from you guys as well, that would really help me to fine tune things. I put a little survey for you again, so if you're willing to help me, this shouldn't take more than 5 minutes: https://goo.gl/forms/owhz8lDHY84hzNGh1

Thanks in advance, Nenad.

crystalmsc

Re: Ableton Live user interface REDESIGN feedback

Post by crystalmsc » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 am

This is so refreshing, Ableton should've done this actually. Just filled the survey and feel a bit relieved after speaking my heart out. All the best with your venture with Ableton.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

nndmlsvc

Post by nndmlsvc » Wed May 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Hey thanks man.

yonhorizon

Post by yonhorizon » Thu May 18, 2017 12:51 pm

+1
Ppl should support this and take the survey

nndmlsvc

Post by nndmlsvc » Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu May 18, 2017 8:11 pm

I appreciate your effort, and the design looks nice, but your snarky, leading questions put me off a little. :x

nndmlsvc

Post by nndmlsvc » Sat May 20, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks for the comment. Yes, you're probably right, but I like to experiment! :) I thought it would be funny to make it in such way where it's really obvious that I'm doing that. I thought it would provoke people to explain in more detail why they agree or don't agree with me. I added a third option (Other) so they can explain why. So I'm conducting a survey to hear WHY users think what they think and not if they like it or not.
Another thing that's very interesting to me right now is that people are apparently very interested in how I wrote a survey versus the user interface.

Cheers,
Nenad.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat May 20, 2017 12:06 pm

nndmlsvc wrote:Thanks for the comment. Yes, you're probably right, but I like to experiment! :) I thought it would be funny to make it in such way where it's really obvious that I'm doing that. I thought it would provoke people to explain in more detail why they agree or don't agree with me. I added a third option (Other) so they can explain why. So I'm conducting a survey to hear WHY users think what they think and not if they like it or not.
Another thing that's very interesting to me right now is that people are apparently very interested in how I wrote a survey versus the user interface.
This form was just too damn hard to even get into. Too all over the place, too little focus on key design points. Sorry.
Make some music!

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Wierd times.

Some users create new GUI´s for Live 10 while Ableton did not change anything since V.1.

Some of them are "inventing" loads of new features while the last update gave stability issues after adding
a new remote script.

Some dream about multi aftertouch while L9 still can not handle propper midi pitch bend.

Some want visible multi clip edit while others are waiting for years just to get at least rid of blurry fonts.

And talking here leads to the advice "be happy what you have".

That might be right,
but the distance between devs and users couldn`t be bigger.

I am repeating myself...

:?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Wow. Do you intend for people to take this 'survey' seriously? The phrasing of the questions is pretty biased. Was going to take a stab at it but it looks like you're not looking for input, you're looking for people to worship your ideas.

nndmlsvc

Post by nndmlsvc » Sun May 21, 2017 7:58 am

@Stromkraft @Stefan Jantschek Thanks for your comments guys.

@yur2die4 Thanks. Yes, I'm actually looking for suggestions, that's why I did this. If you have something to add, comment, suggest, etc. you can do that by writing it on every single question (use the Other option).

Cheers,
Nenad.

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sun May 21, 2017 11:05 am

nndmlsvc wrote:@Stromkraft @Stefan Jantschek Thanks for your comments guys.

@yur2die4 Thanks. Yes, I'm actually looking for suggestions, that's why I did this. If you have something to add, comment, suggest, etc. you can do that by writing it on every single question (use the Other option).

Cheers,
Nenad.
Hi Nenad,
I am curious:

What makes you believe that the backround of all that story is a lack of graphic design people at Ableton?
Or, why do you think Ableton HQ needs more infos about what their users want?

Just try to understand your thinking behind your big effort.
It`s kind of a strange way to deal with missing information.

:o

nndmlsvc

Post by nndmlsvc » Sun May 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Hey Stefan,

I don't think Ableton lacks designers, I love their designs a lot. Visual and functional side as well. That's why I want to work at Ableton!

But, everything can be improved.

Real improvements come from improving right things in a right way. So to find out what to improve you need to talk to the users and watch them use the product. To figure out how to improve, you'll need to know some design principles and to have the experience in that field. And again, you'll need to test your hypothesizes on your users, to see what actually works and how well.

I have 13 years of designing experience and 21 years in making and producing electronic music, but even that is not enough because I can't possibly know what Ableton Live users have in their heads. So I asked. That's why I did these surveys. The best thing would be to conduct some usability tests but for what I'm trying to do here (showcase my skills to get a job), that would probably be an overkill.

I hope I answered your questions. :)

Cheers,
Nenad.