Studio One

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Martin Gifford

Re: Studio One

Post by Martin Gifford » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:46 pm

I experimented with Studio One. The few things I created were slower to do than Ableton, but infinitely more organic. No way would I have been able to create them in Ableton. Wouldn't have happened even if I was the most knowledgeable Ableton user ever. And its arrangement of sections is great. I like the look of it too. :D

But the limited undo functionality was a deal-breaker. It's not only the mixer that you can't undo, there's one other thing - can't remember. Made it unusable for me. Or, actually, I'd use it for starting ideas, then when the undo problem starts becoming noticeable, I would move the project over to Ableton. How's that for reversal of expectations! :P

mareproduction

Post by mareproduction » Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 am

Studio One is a growing beast.But i still love Ableton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glI6LrVKh5I&t=69s

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Thu May 25, 2017 11:48 am

mareproduction wrote:Studio One is a growing beast.But i still love Ableton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glI6LrVKh5I&t=69s
Wow, this is now serious competition for Ableton and all other DAWs. For dance, probably Ableton wins. For pop songs, probably Studio One wins. I'd say these are the two best DAWs now.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu May 25, 2017 2:04 pm

I enjoy it for recording/mixing projects because of comping/melodyne integration. For mixing it is pretty nice/intuitive how the effect sends work, VCA groups bussing sidechaining.

That said, I prefer Live for actually creating a song as Live has Session View, Racks, Push 2 etc.

evon

Post by evon » Thu May 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Well if the name "Studio One" is anything to go by, I'd say it was definitely made for reggae music production. I like the word "organic" which Martin used to describe. In this respect, it seems like a cross between Cubase's organic feel and Live's easy GUI.
fe real!

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Thu May 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Great update! just what I was waiting for: Mixer Undo. It's time for me to migrate my mixing/mastering environment. https://americansongwriter.com/2017/05/ ... -features/

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu May 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Yeah, it's funny that such an odd feature like mixer undo is greeted with great relief, but there we are.
I don't use Studio One as much as I should. My current method is get things started in Live then export the tracks and arrange them in Studio One. It's not an integrated system, and is cumbersome ... so I really must get used to starting songs in Studio One. My main problem is a reflex instinct to open Live when i start my computer, before I even remember that I'm meant to be working in the other DAW

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Thu May 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Yes, good to remember to start new recordings in the new DAW! Old habits die hard sometimes. The only reason I would need Live at this point is for the Looper. Not sure if there is anything better as a VST for mac, recent searches did not look too promising.

I don't know how you interface with your DAW's but I semi-regularly have wayward incidents from mouse and keyboard that will delete things and change things, sometimes with no feedback as to what happened. I LOVE Live's undo. Ohhhhh how in the world did that entire track get deleted? Fucking magic trackpad.

mareproduction

Post by mareproduction » Fri May 26, 2017 7:32 am

jlgrimes wrote:I enjoy it for recording/mixing projects because of comping/melodyne integration. For mixing it is pretty nice/intuitive how the effect sends work, VCA groups bussing sidechaining.

That said, I prefer Live for actually creating a song as Live has Session View, Racks, Push 2 etc.
I MUST use new daw for guitar recording because my Ableton Live suddenly have big latency when I record guitar. Even if I drop buffer to 64 :-/ but recording midi is normal.
On S1 recoding live guitar is normal