Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Angstrom

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am

if only something would give me 'get off your ass and make some music' lust. :x
I think you'll find the answer to that one is people.
A crew you hang out with, who book a night you are meant to perform at.
Also an audience who expect something acceptable coming out of the system.

that's the motivator for making music

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue May 02, 2017 12:20 pm

H20nly wrote:

if only something would give me 'get off your ass and make some music' lust. :x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

You're welcome. :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Finally the 50% off Komplete upgrades month. :)

And good timing as my coworker got pulled into jury duty so I have to work/get paid overtime. :)

Also interesting that even KU is a download, but I believe with their Access software it detects what you already have installed and gives you the option to just download and install what you don't already have installed and can install all or individually. The full download would be nearly 400G. 8O 3T internal drive FTW. :)

c68

Post by c68 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm interested in the Roland Cloud subscription.
https://www.rolandcloud.com
Should NI go this route with all of Komplete's instruments/effects? I think it would make sense instead of paying for instruments/effects we probably won't even use.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:24 pm

beats me wrote: Also interesting that even KU is a download, but I believe with their Access software it detects what you already have installed and gives you the option to just download and install what you don't already have installed and can install all or individually. The full download would be nearly 400G. 8O 3T internal drive FTW. :)
Wow! I had decided against upgrading this time, because getting that KU drive shipped cost me way too much last time, but if you can actually download, I have to reconsider. I guess it's time to install Native Access.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:41 pm

sporkles wrote:
beats me wrote: Also interesting that even KU is a download, but I believe with their Access software it detects what you already have installed and gives you the option to just download and install what you don't already have installed and can install all or individually. The full download would be nearly 400G. 8O 3T internal drive FTW. :)
Wow! I had decided against upgrading this time, because getting that KU drive shipped cost me way too much last time, but if you can actually download, I have to reconsider. I guess it's time to install Native Access.
I think you can only download, or at least its the default option. The other option on their site is to find a dealer.

Also no more farting around with long ass serial numbers. The Access software has your purchases tied to your account.

I can imagine this will also be a good option for fresh installs because you can choose to only download and install specific libraries and plugins Maybe you don't want 60G of pianos.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm still on Komplete 6 (for that vintage sound?), but at a mere £75 to upgrade to K 11 I might as well do it, even if it's only for the unacorda library and the effects I havent already got.

I guess I'll be throwing the price of yet another harddrive on that bill though ;-)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:57 pm

c68 wrote:I'm interested in the Roland Cloud subscription.
Should NI go this route with all of Komplete's instruments/effects? I think it would make sense instead of paying for instruments/effects we probably won't even use.
I don't like that reasoning. I don't want my licence to be contingent upon me paying a monthly fee. Adobe recently raised the price dramatically ('because of the current exchange rates'), and if you're depending on access to the tools in question, you just have to accept whatever price they decide to set. You can already buy Komplete products individually (but if you want a few of them, you'll soon realise that it makes sense to buy Komplete). The thing is that if NI were to set an unreasonable price for K12, I could keep using K10, and not bother.

I've been looking at the comparison chart, and I really don't know if I'll actually upgrade. Una Corda sounds good and all, but I'm a little 'meh' about K11 as a whole. If I didn't already have a significant orchestral arsenal, maybe, but I dunno. Would Form and Flesh be hot enough to win me over?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:08 pm

By the way: Surreal Machines are offering their spectacular delay/reverb hybrid Diffuse for free for a couple more days: grab it while you can!. Instant gratification, and I'm so glad they're now offering VST versions. I have the M4L versions, but I avoid using M4L if I can. "Modnetic" is also on sale right now.

c68

Post by c68 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 pm

sporkles wrote:
c68 wrote:I'm interested in the Roland Cloud subscription.
I don't like that reasoning. I don't want my licence to be contingent upon me paying a monthly fee. Adobe recently raised the price dramatically ('because of the current exchange rates'), and if you're depending on access to the tools in question, you just have to accept whatever price they decide to set. You can already buy Komplete products individually (but if you want a few of them, you'll soon realise that it makes sense to buy Komplete). The thing is that if NI were to set an unreasonable price for K12, I could keep using K10, and not bother.

I've been looking at the comparison chart, and I really don't know if I'll actually upgrade. Una Corda sounds good and all, but I'm a little 'meh' about K11 as a whole. If I didn't already have a significant orchestral arsenal, maybe, but I dunno. Would Form and Flesh be hot enough to win me over?
I feel Roland Cloud products will work with updated operating systems than an old NI K10 would down the road. Plus, reading the FAQ, I simply could cancel my subscription at any time before the next billing date.
AND being on a subscription would force me to get off my laziness and create music faster,right? Not letting my payment go to waste!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm

Well regarding value, I bought Komplete 6 around 2010 on a crossgrade from Reaktor. I guess it was about £250 or something like that. 7 years, or around 84 months of use. That makes it about £2 a month for all those synths, effects and samples. Plus it still works just fine across the 3 OSes I've used it on. That's pretty good value and longetivity so far.

c68

Post by c68 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:26 am

Angstrom wrote:Well regarding value, I bought Komplete 6 around 2010 on a crossgrade from Reaktor. I guess it was about £250 or something like that. 7 years, or around 84 months of use. That makes it about £2 a month for all those synths, effects and samples. Plus it still works just fine across the 3 OSes I've used it on. That's pretty good value and longetivity so far.
That is a pretty good deal. I'm not a full time user. I probably total up to 3 months time on music per year.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:21 pm

It's typical that the product that could have won me over (newly released Thrill) won't be a part of Komplete until next year (presumably)... It looks pretty cool.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:49 pm

sporkles wrote:It's typical that the product that could have won me over (newly released Thrill) won't be a part of Komplete until next year (presumably)... It looks pretty cool.

NI has to walk that line between Komplete Ultimate upgraders only (myself included) and offering mid cycle products that you are tempted to buy individually before the next upgrade. Thrill looks cool but way too niche unless you are big into film and TV scoring.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:36 am

Here in the USA there are change machines in grocery stores where you can cash in your coins for Amazon or iTunes gift cards for free.
I've literally saved up enough money to get LogicX in pocket change.

Thinking about it, I have a few old songs in Logic, but do I really need three freaking DAWs?