Project crashes on teachers computer, but works on mine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CME

Project crashes on teachers computer, but works on mine

Post by CME » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:26 am

Hey everyone,
Im currently studying at a music university and one of our final assignments was to hand in a project made in Ableton. Getting the feedback a month later, the teacher said they weren't able to open up the project from the USB I handed in and failed me. After a discussion with the teacher we decided to meet in the school so I could see the error message, and a backup they've made of the project opened.

The assessors said that they were going to double check with the actual USB to see if it worked, and they got an error message saying "A serious program error has occurred" causing Ableton to restart.
Any idea what the issue might be? More importantly, is it an issue that's caused by their computer or my project, even though the backup was possible to open on the computers in school?

Grateful for all answers that could help me, I'm not really sure how to approach this with the teachers at the moment..

thanks

Stromkraft

Re: Project crashes on teachers computer, but works on mine

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:33 am

CME wrote: Any idea what the issue might be? More importantly, is it an issue that's caused by their computer or my project, even though the backup was possible to open on the computers in school?

Grateful for all answers that could help me, I'm not really sure how to approach this with the teachers at the moment..
If the project doesn't crash on your computer, but on the teacher's how is it even your problem? Are you employed to fix their computers?

While there may be some learning to be made on supplying resources, they should be able to tell.
Make some music!

ajhardesty

Post by ajhardesty » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:16 pm

A couple of ideas come to mind:

1. Perhaps the file is corrupted (stuff happens). Have you provided another copy that they can try to run?
2. Are you both running the same version of Live?
3. Did you use any resources, such as plugins, that they do not have?
4. Not sure if this would matter, but are both running Live as either 32-bit or 64-bit?
5. Do you have a friend who runs Live that can try to the open the file on their machine?

And if all else fails, contact Ableton support to see if they can assist.

Hope that helps.

CME

Post by CME » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks for your reply!

So here is the weird thing that makes me confused.
I went to the school to see what the error message was and they had a backup of the project I handed in, which they store as backup, which worked on the computers at the school as well as my personal one.
Hoping everything was sorted, the teacher contacts me later the same evening saying that him and another teacher tried opening the file that was directly from the USB and the error message popped up for both of the teachers.

What baffles me is that the file that we opened together is from the USB as well, and why it was possible to open and not the one directly from the USB confuses me.

I just asked the teacher to send the file he can't open to see if I can open it on the school computers, as both the teachers probably used their personal.

I am using plugins they do not have, but only 3 or 4 channels and they are all frozen, and as I said earlier it shouldn't be the cause, as it was possible to open on other computers in school.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:30 pm

It could be that... i've seen that on windows before, where a set that had a plugin I no longer had installed wouldn't load; it would crash on startup instead.
I would think freezing would avoid this, but maybe not.

btw, if that's true, you can just bounce those tracks, delete the plugins, and use audio instead....

(in my case, it was kontakt... on the old computer, i had K4 installed, and then K5 came out and I just kept both installed; on the new one, I only installed K5, and sets that had K4 would crash).

CME

Post by CME » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:07 pm

theophilus wrote:It could be that... i've seen that on windows before, where a set that had a plugin I no longer had installed wouldn't load; it would crash on startup instead.
I would think freezing would avoid this, but maybe not.

btw, if that's true, you can just bounce those tracks, delete the plugins, and use audio instead....

(in my case, it was kontakt... on the old computer, i had K4 installed, and then K5 came out and I just kept both installed; on the new one, I only installed K5, and sets that had K4 would crash).

You might be right actually.
I guess my main problem is that the project sent in was my final assessment meaning the deadline is overdue, and thus I've received a fail cause of the issue with the project.
Sending in a new altered project might not be OK with the University's guidelines but who knows, feels like this issue is not something I could have prevented so hopefully they'll be able to do an exception.

ajhardesty

Post by ajhardesty » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:45 pm

CME wrote:...
I went to the school to see what the error message was and they had a backup of the project I handed in, which they store as backup, which worked on the computers at the school as well as my personal one.
Based on the above statement, I think you have fulfilled your requirement and demonstrated the problem lies with them. Despite their claims, they actually could open that file without errors. It seems the school has some capability issues, not your file.

IMHO, if you get a failing grade, you have very good grounds for an appeal.

Just my opinion. It holds no water.

CME

Post by CME » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:59 pm

ajhardesty wrote:
CME wrote:...
Based on the above statement, I think you have fulfilled your requirement and demonstrated the problem lies with them. Despite their claims, they actually could open that file without errors. It seems the school has some capability issues, not your file.

IMHO, if you get a failing grade, you have very good grounds for an appeal.

Just my opinion. It holds no water.
completely agree, annoys me that it's still an issue but I guess they just don't want to re-do the grading part haha

currently awaiting a response from the support at Ableton so I can forward it to the teachers.

CME

Post by CME » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:06 am

Was able to solve the issue.

The problem was that my teacher wasn't running Ableton in 64 bit (lol) and that was the cause for the crashes.

Finally getting it graded so thanks everyone for the help!

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Maaaan I was riveted (I need to get out more, I know) with this! and it turned out to be the feckin teachers running the wrong bit version!! I don't know!!! :roll:

Glad you got it sorted mate.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.