Ableton Live Redesign

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nndmlsvc

Ableton Live Redesign

Post by nndmlsvc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:00 am

I just finished my Ableton Live redesign, if you're interested you can read all about it here: http://nenadmilosevic.co/ableton-live-redesign/ ?

BoddAH

Re: Ableton Live Redesign

Post by BoddAH » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Wow. Great job and one hell of a job application. You obviously put in the time and effort and you’re certainly talented.

Good luck. :wink:

redglass

Post by redglass » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:51 pm

Wow, Looks Great. What a talent. Hope you will make your way into music software industry!

Cheers

nndmlsvc

Post by nndmlsvc » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks guys.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Shame on Ableton if they dont at least give you an interview! Nice work, and that is probably the most comprehensive way to show what you are capable of with loads of references and past work experience to back it up.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:42 pm

The skin is pretty and very contemporary in a 2016 way. Perhaps you could have just put in an FR for clearer type and fine undecorated borders. I'm just breezing through this but here's what I noticed. Firstly, in the session view redesign it's hard to see what's playing, and clip blocks are harder to correlate to Launchpad/whatever controller pads. But what bugs me is the hints of functionality changes... They're a bit hit and miss, and feel a little glib: For example, you must know supporting multiple open projects is just a little bit more involved than drawing tabs at the top. You suggest we could drag items from one project to another, so are those clips linked or unique per project? I mean if I create a clip, then move it to another project, then edit the original clip... what changes in the second project? In a multiple project context, will your undo history have an application scope or a project scope? What happens to the second project if I use your history widget to undo a copied-over clip edit in the first project?

Dragging and dropping entire areas, for what purpose exactly? There is a practical, pragmatic benefit to most of the Ableton UI restrictions. But if it could happen, presumably to concentrate on a particular context, does that change the layout for just the current project or the whole application? Can we save those layouts as snapshots? Do those area drag and drops go into the undo history? Which area heights and widths carry the most weight so if the app is resized, those areas take the correct proportion of the available space?

The expanded browser's pitch identification isn't really thought through: I don't know what the latest Live version does, but do you really want the browser to index and pitch-detect multi-gigabyte libraries? By the time that's finished, the shiny UI will be looking retro. Is seeing the supposed key of a hihat sample going to influence whether I use it? In the example, how can a static pitched cowbell or hum loop have a particular scale? What about sampled riffs with multiple key and scale changes, how should that be presented?

Density levels are cool but should that really be a user decision via a slider which then affects the density of ALL elements? Like, "GIVE ME MAXIMUM DENSITY!" Why not automatically scale density based on mouse focus, or current track selection, or screen resolution or available space?

The expanded mixer is sweet in a Hollywood UI sort of way, but what's going on with the graphical widgets? The self-contained filter and freq shifter graphics are nice, but is the separate space graphic above the reverb block somehow depicting the reverb? If so why does it have its own active 'LED'? Or is it a separate spatializer effect which lacks a label? If that's the exciter graphic shown alongside the exciter, why is that one shown below the corresponding label block? What's the master track's graphic block showing; is it the limiter below? Grief! That desire for clarity and consistency has turned into pimp my ride. It is pretty though. Hope this is taken as constructive feedback.

nndmlsvc

Post by nndmlsvc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:49 pm

@lowshelf thanks man, here're the quick answers:

Project tabs: same behavior as in current version when you open multiple instances of Live
Detachable windows: can be saved within the Workspace.
Expanded Browser (‘pitch identification’): Check Cubase’s Media Bay
Detail Level slider: highly experimental feature not seen anywhere before so it needs to be tested
Device Slots: Devices are not required to have a name/label. Wherever you see an on/off switch - it’s a separate device.

Cheers,
Nenad.