Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
BoddAH

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by BoddAH » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:45 am

Machinesworking wrote:Here in the USA there are change machines in grocery stores where you can cash in your coins for Amazon or iTunes gift cards for free.
Dude you’re not getting anything “for free”, it’s your f**king money and you’re the one doing them a favor.

Stores want and need “pocket change”. They need it so they can give change back to customers who pay cash and it saves them a lot of trips to the bank to get coins.

Basically you’re doing them a solid but even then they don’t have the decency to give you cash you could spend anywhere in return. No, it’s store credit or some kind of bullshit gift card with a partner business. :x

You’ve got to love those machines. :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:10 pm

What are "coins"? Are they like "cash"? Haven't used either in ages. :wink:

Had an expiring $25 voucher for NI ticking (and they do actually expire now, didn’t used to), and I gave up a long time ago on collecting Maschine’s many redundant expansion libraries. So I picked up Strum 2, one of the only reasonably low priced libraries that isn’t currently part of Komplete Ultimate.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:07 pm

BoddAH wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Here in the USA there are change machines in grocery stores where you can cash in your coins for Amazon or iTunes gift cards for free.
Dude you’re not getting anything “for free”, it’s your f**king money and you’re the one doing them a favor.

Stores want and need “pocket change”. They need it so they can give change back to customers who pay cash and it saves them a lot of trips to the bank to get coins.

Basically you’re doing them a solid but even then they don’t have the decency to give you cash you could spend anywhere in return. No, it’s store credit or some kind of bullshit gift card with a partner business. :x

You’ve got to love those machines. :roll:
Belgium vs USA here, these are independently run machines not at check out, near gum ball and the like.. I choose to toss my coins in a jar, when the jar gets full, take it to said machine and exchange it for iTunes gift card money. It's all my money, it's just a convenient way to get something that you don't want to spend "real" money on. The investment of time is arguably smaller than pulling out change every time you purchase something with cash. Next time I'll go with Amazon, and use the money to get the upgrade to Live X when it comes out.

There is no charge, Amazon, iTunes etc. probably pay a fee, but you do not.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Belgium vs USA here, these are independently run machines not at check out, near gum ball and the like.. I choose to toss my coins in a jar, when the jar gets full, take it to said machine and exchange it for iTunes gift card money. It's all my money, it's just a convenient way to get something that you don't want to spend "real" money on. The investment of time is arguably smaller than pulling out change every time you purchase something with cash. Next time I'll go with Amazon, and use the money to get the upgrade to Live X when it comes out.

Some years back I took a bag of coins to my bank thinking they had one of those coin machines. They did not. So I just asked for some rolls and I would go home and roll my change. I was the only one in the bank at the time and the girl at the counter just said I could roll them there and she would help. Shortly after we started more people came in the bank and I became the asshole holding up the line so we could roll my change. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:00 am

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: Belgium vs USA here, these are independently run machines not at check out, near gum ball and the like.. I choose to toss my coins in a jar, when the jar gets full, take it to said machine and exchange it for iTunes gift card money. It's all my money, it's just a convenient way to get something that you don't want to spend "real" money on. The investment of time is arguably smaller than pulling out change every time you purchase something with cash. Next time I'll go with Amazon, and use the money to get the upgrade to Live X when it comes out.

Some years back I took a bag of coins to my bank thinking they had one of those coin machines. They did not. So I just asked for some rolls and I would go home and roll my change. I was the only one in the bank at the time and the girl at the counter just said I could roll them there and she would help. Shortly after we started more people came in the bank and I became the asshole holding up the line so we could roll my change. :x
I have been that guy. Usually too broke to care if people were upset! :x

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Just wondering, regarding Native Access: has anyone had time to become frustrated with the fact that there's currently no (convenient) way of backing up the installers? (IE Native Access installs the apps directly when downloaded, and deletes the installer files immediately afterwards, and this can only be avoided if you're? ready to snatch the file once it is completely downloaded and starts installing).

The initial response was that this functionality wasn't on NI's "roadmap". They have since acknowledged the problem and now say it *is* on the roadmap, but nothing is planned for the next release.

I still haven't installed Access, but I'm on the fence on upgrading to KU11, mainly because I might be interested in Reaktor products that require the latest version, which in addition to Una Chorda starts adding up.

It's definitely not the most exciting Komplete version, but 50% off the upgrade price is as good as it gets.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:05 pm

sporkles wrote: I'm on the fence on upgrading to KU11, mainly because I might be interested in Reaktor products that require the latest version, which in addition to Una Chorda starts adding up.

It's definitely not the most exciting Komplete version, but 50% off the upgrade price is as good as it gets.
I'm skipping it, KU10 here, and it's simply more cost efficient to go every two upgrades, especially with the Cost of Ultimate.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm breaking down and buying Vienna Ensemble Pro. One of the reasons I'm not using Live that much anymore to compose is CPU issues with EastWest and Cinesamples libraries, VEP eliminates that, even using it to host CPU taxing plug ins on the same computer is a huge benefit apparently. Of course VSL has every plug in of theirs on sale except VEP, which will go on sale as soon as I drop down $$! :x

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:14 pm

beats me wrote:[Some years back I took a bag of coins to my bank thinking they had one of those coin machines. They did not. So I just asked for some rolls and I would go home and roll my change. I was the only one in the bank at the time and the girl at the counter just said I could roll them there and she would help. Shortly after we started more people came in the bank and I became the asshole holding up the line so we could roll my change. :x
In the USA banks used to count your coins with a machine for free. Then they would only count coins for deposit. Then they only took rolled coins for deposit. I finally bought some penny rolls and will spend the next few rainy days counting pennies. I figure I've got about $50 worth in a can, maybe more. Then I'll move on to the nickles and dimes. I still use quarters for parking meters but more and more in the US meters are switching over to credit cards.
sporkles wrote:Just wondering, regarding Native Access: has anyone had time to become frustrated with the fact that there's currently no (convenient) way of backing up the installers? The initial response was that this functionality wasn't on NI's "roadmap". They have since acknowledged the problem and now say it *is* on the roadmap, but nothing is planned for the next release.
NI can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned. I have had numerous support issues with them in the past. Once I had an issue where the new version of Absynth but they told me they couldn't help me until I upgraded my Mac to a newer OS because they no longer supported the OS I had. I was also a Kore user who did not find Maschine to be a "suitable replacement". I finally decided I will spend my money elsewhere :evil:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:26 am

Regroover Essential free through ADRS.com for the next couple of days, normally $99. Grab it.

https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/soft ... essential/

It extracts different sounds from loops, mostly good on drums and its pretty damn good at it. It's warping engine isn't as good as Live's (yet) so it's best to use loops that are about the same tempo as the song you are working on. I recommend watching their tutorial videos if you can't wrap your head around it. It's fun just to toss loops in it to see how well it separates the sounds. You can adjust the starting point of each stem and you trigger each stem with MIDI key notes.

Upgrading to the pro version lets you create drum pad kits within the plugin and you can drag and drop the stems into your DAW.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:50 pm

I bit the bullet and got Omnisphere 2 over the weekend to add to my live keyboard rig.

Damn that thing sounds good. 8O

Also pre-ordered a Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 for when it comes out next month. Rig should be more than complete after that.

Unsound Designer

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:43 pm

stringtapper wrote:Rig should be more than complete after that.
That's exactly the same thing I say to myself every time I finalise an order.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:58 pm

sporkles wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Rig should be more than complete after that.
That's exactly the same thing I say to myself every time I finalise an order.
Right? :P
Unsound Designer

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 pm

I used to think that you get a 19" rack and then you fill it. When it's full it's full.

But the racks in Live never get full, nor do you run out of tracks. Is that a problem or a feature? I'm not completely sure.

Of course you do run out of CPU power, which means you record as audio finally. Why didn't I do that already last week? Now you can add one more track/synth/effect, then one more.

Keep going buddy… :arrow:
Make some music!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 am

Screw knobs, faders, and basic xy pads. Perform parameters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgvDo-oDGF8

:)