loop a sample but choke with slices?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IronShirt

loop a sample but choke with slices?

Post by IronShirt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:34 am

I want to play a looped sample continuous but interupt playback intermittently with slices. Slices would also have to be looped at a certain measured speed in divisions like 1/8. 1/16th etc. Would this require multiple Simplers in a rack?

Stromkraft

Re: loop a sample but choke with slices?

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:59 am

IronShirt wrote:I want to play a looped sample continuous but interupt playback intermittently with slices. Slices would also have to be looped at a certain measured speed in divisions like 1/8. 1/16th etc. Would this require multiple Simplers in a rack?
Only way I can see, but I don't use Simpler very often.
Make some music!

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:05 pm

in Simpler's Slice mode, change the Playback mode from Mono to Thru.
that will keep the whole sample playing but allow you to trigger from each slice too.

IronShirt

Post by IronShirt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Yeah I hoped Thru would work for what I want but I'm actually looking to keep a loop going continuous only interrupted by playing slices. Perhaps it's a matter of switching simplers and setting up mutes or on/offs so that when one plays the other is silent. I was able to use the Key feature in an instrument rack so that pressing different notes on the Push 2 activates the relevant Simpler but it's always pitched.

IronShirt

Post by IronShirt » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:30 pm

I've found a tutorial by Ned Rush on Youtube that is the closest I've been able to produce the effect I'm looking for. Essentially I was trying to find a way, in Slicer, to have a loop play from start to end and round again but that you could interrupt the play by slices that repeat inside the loop. The launching of slices would be a toggle, hit a key and the slice is looped, release key and the full loop returns to play from loop start.

ned rush

Post by ned rush » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:35 am

Use a drum rack and various instances of Simpler or Sampler. Drum rack has choke groups. You can trigger a loop in one cell then choke it with slices residing in other cells.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Set up a drum rack with a return. Have the return receive from all devices that you want to do the 'choking'

Then have the loop in its own pad or even channel. Have a Gate effect and sidechain it to the choking return channel. Set it to Invert.

Now whenever other parts are triggered, the other loop will be muted. One caveat is that if these samples have really quiet, silent parts, you might need to do something a bit more complex.

A lot of this would be easier in Session View using legato mode for the looping clip.