Need help getting Korg Minilogue working with Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djbenski

Need help getting Korg Minilogue working with Ableton Live

Post by djbenski » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:22 am

Hi all,

I bought a new Korg Minilogue analog synthesizer to use with Ableton Live. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to record audio playback! I connected MIDI cable from the Korg synthesizer to the audio interface MIDI port and an audio cable to the interface from the synthesizer. Then I added the MIDI as external instrument within Ableton Live and configured the preferences for the audio interface in the Ableton setup. It appears as an external instrument and records the notes during a MIDI recording session and the MIDI button flashes as communicating with the Korg synth. However, no audio plays back after I record! Has anyone else had a similar problem getting external analog synths to work in Ableton like this and if so, how did you fix the issue to get it working right?

Richie Witch

Re: Need help getting Korg Minilogue working with Ableton Live

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:39 am

How many MIDI cables do you have connected between the synth and the interface?

Based on the way you're describing this problem, I'm assuming you're recording the MIDI notes in Live, then playing the MIDI clip and expecting the Minilogue to play those notes back.

Obviously, you've connected MIDI out (synth) to MIDI in (interface), but unless you connect a second MIDI cable going the other way, the MIDI notes you recorded have no way to get back to the synth.

If everything is set up correctly, you should already be able to record the audio as you record the MIDI, but if you're editing the MIDI clip and then trying to record the sequenced audio, you'll need that second MIDI cable.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:29 pm

As Richie wrote, you need two MIDI cables. Why aren't you just using the Minilogue USB connection instead?

djbenski

Post by djbenski » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:14 am

Right, I figure this out. I did return the Korg for a Moog Sub 37 and have most of it sorted out.

Love the Moog! The Korg felt like a cheap toy in comparison.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:30 pm

djbenski wrote:
Love the Moog! The Korg felt like a cheap toy in comparison.
Well, a Moog is a Moog. But the Minilogue is very versatile and grows on you. Maybe not as the only one to use.
Make some music!