Controlling iPad app with Akai apc 40 (?)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
George Manta

Controlling iPad app with Akai apc 40 (?)

Post by George Manta » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello, has anyone done this? Maybe it´s a silly question but i´ve seen many posts about connecting midi controllers with ipads but nothing a bout an actual APC40 hooked to an iPad app and running.
You need a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter for this, right?
I just need to launch tracks live without my laptop.
Any solid app for recomendations?

yur2die4

Re: Controlling iPad app with Akai apc 40 (?)

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Yes. You would need a camera connector kit. Official ones are the only ones guaranteed to work after updates, otherwise you end up buying 3 or 4 knock offs and spend more than you would have with the official.

You also still need to use the power adapter on the apc.

Each visible channel on the APC repeats the same note numbers and the same CC number for the faders, just on a different channe, not a lot of apps seem to recognize different midi channels.

Also on the APC the channel selector button changes which channel the 8 device control knobs on the right will transmit to. If 1 is selected those encoders will send to midi ch 1. If 3 is selected they will be functioning on ch 3.

I'm not sure which app you intend to use. There are very few that launch clips and actually support midi mapping.

George Manta

Post by George Manta » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Yes. You would need a camera connector kit. Official ones are the only ones guaranteed to work after updates, otherwise you end up buying 3 or 4 knock offs and spend more than you would have with the official.

You also still need to use the power adapter on the apc.

Each visible channel on the APC repeats the same note numbers and the same CC number for the faders, just on a different channe, not a lot of apps seem to recognize different midi channels.

Also on the APC the channel selector button changes which channel the 8 device control knobs on the right will transmit to. If 1 is selected those encoders will send to midi ch 1. If 3 is selected they will be functioning on ch 3.

I'm not sure which app you intend to use. There are very few that launch clips and actually support midi mapping.

Cool! Thanks a lot man! Just wanted to be sure it works. Now i will search for the right app. All i need is one that launches samples or tracks. I´ve downloaded Novation Launchpad wich is cool but i should try it with the apc40... it doesn´t seem to have midi mapping options tho

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Yeah that's the strange part. Most of the Launchpad style apps don't seem to support midi, with the exception of supporting the brand's own hardware.

George Manta

Post by George Manta » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Ok, so i tried the APC40 with the iPad and i get the "..this device requires too much power" message :(
even with the power supply on.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:54 am

In that case you will need to use a powered USB hub. The good news is that means you can connect additional midi controllers and an audio interface.

George Manta

Post by George Manta » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:12 pm

yur2die4 wrote:In that case you will need to use a powered USB hub. The good news is that means you can connect additional midi controllers and an audio interface.
Ok, you were right... Most of the Launchpad style apps don't seem to support midi :(
BUT, the powered hub worked fine so now i guess it´s just a matter of finding the right app.
Thanx!!!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:47 pm

It might work pretty well with Modstep.