Can someone help me with this?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mucktone

Can someone help me with this?

Post by Mucktone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:29 pm

I really like one of the drum loop samples in an Ableton pack. The beat really works well with the song that I'm working on, except for the tone. The sample is very dark sounding and extremely lo-fi which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't fit the rest of the drums that I've programmed myself. Is there a way to maybe get the beat of the sample into another drum pack, or transform the audio clip of the sample into midi so I can use it with a different kit? I may have to try to manually program the same beat into the piano roll which may be a pain. Thanks :D
-Mucktone

Stromkraft

Re: Can someone help me with this?

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Mucktone wrote: transform the audio clip of the sample into midi so I can use it with a different kit?
This is the best way I think as
  • Still sounds different as it's your drum sounds
  • Gives you detailed possibility to control also timing, individual sounds and processing
  • You can make variations
  • You can end up somewhere else, but better
There's no magic to this. Just read the manual and have Live Standard or Suite. It won't sound exactly the same and velocities may be off. Just edit until you're satisfied.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Mucktone

Post by Mucktone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:50 pm

ok thanks. The timing and velocity differences were my main concerns but I'll just do the best I can to program the beats as close as I can get them. Thanks again
-Mucktone

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:04 am

Mucktone wrote:ok thanks. The timing and velocity differences were my main concerns but I'll just do the best I can to program the beats as close as I can get them. Thanks again
The timing should not be off by much at all for kick and snare, but for hi-hats not all rhythms are easily extracted with correct open and closed hits and typically one have to adjust that manually.

Working with a real drummer have taught me that drummers prefer more than the drum machine variations, for instance: closed, semi-closed, open, foot-closed without a hit and not to talk about where the hit is. Drummers use MIDI CC and sound switching for this, so I do the same with my drum synths.

To attempt to mimic an involved hi-hat pattern of a real drummer with just open and closed can fall apart very quickly. You can of course used the data you get as a starting point and make something else that works. Filtering and doing specific runs for hi-hats may help. I always throw away data I don't want.

I also make use of the Live MIDI effects like random for velocity and reapply different grooves per instrument to help the patterns sit with the song.

One way to see how close you are is running the original loop and your MIDI drums side by side and then mute the original in playback and listen carefully.
Make some music!