Audio interface necessary when just using MIDI controllers?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andylaw31

Audio interface necessary when just using MIDI controllers?

Post by andylaw31 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 am

I have an AKAI APC Key 25 and I'll soon have an AKAI MPD218. Probably going to get a Novation Launchpad Pro and Launch Control XL. Excluding these MIDI controllers, I don't plan to use any external instruments in the next few years (I have an electronic drum kit but I won't have access to it any time soon), though I may use my Zoom H4n to record vocals occasionally. So...
  1. Is an interface worth investing in? As I understand it, it would help with latency and playback/monitoring audio quality, but is it worth it if I'm only using MIDI tracks?
  2. The Zoom H4n can act as an audio interface, but would a dedicated but cheap audio interface (e.g. the options below) do a better job?
In terms of cheap audio interfaces, I could get:
  • a new Behringer UCA202 for £24
  • a new Lexicon Alpha for £44
  • a used 1st gen Focusrite 2i2 for £40-60
  • a used Steinberg UR12 for £65
Are any of these a good deal or do you have any better recommendations?

login

Re: Audio interface necessary when just using MIDI controllers?

Post by login » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:14 am

In Mac it would make no difference, on windows an audio interface with good asio drivers can improve latency quite a bit, but from your list only the Steinberg UR has better drivers than the zoom.

andylaw31

Post by andylaw31 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:35 am

Thanks for the quick reply login! Would you say it's worth using the Zoom as an interface or just go without and rely on my (Windows) laptop's sound card? My laptop is a Samsung Notebook 7 Spin, so it's decent but I doubt it has the best sound card.

If using the Zoom, other than connecting it via USB, what settings would I need to change in Ableton and/or my computer to see the benefit?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 am

andylaw31 wrote: [*]Is an interface worth investing in? As I understand it, it would help with latency and playback/monitoring audio quality, but is it worth it if I'm only using MIDI tracks?
[*]The Zoom H4n can act as an audio interface, but would a dedicated but cheap audio interface (e.g. the options below) do a better job?[/list][/list]
A dedicated audio interface is always worth it, also on Macs IMHO. What comes out is audio, after all, so your thoughts about sound sources is irrelevant. Instruments, also software ones, put a heavier demand on the computer than pure audio sources.
You got the H4n so why not just use it and see what kind of buffer settings you can get away with? If you can get to 80% audio engine load and have a 64-256 sample buffer (out) that's pretty decent and 512 samples is possibly acceptable.

I'm not familiar with the others, so can't comment on those. I was very close getting a Focusrite though not the 2i2, but got RME instead.
Make some music!

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm

If you were recording no external audio at all, you do not need an interface. With modern computers the built in audio is good enough unless you're talking about building a professional grade studio. Macs historically have sounded better but I see more and more Windows computers advertised as having "premium" sound from JBL, Harmon Kardon, etc. This is true of any DAW, if everything is in the computer, all you need is some headphones and/or some type of speakers.

When I first demoed Live a decade ago I used a bottom-of-the-line Windows XP laptop, with the headphone output driving an old stereo system I had lying around for monitoring...it sounded fine and the latency was low enough for playing softsynths in real time. Keep in mind that the onboard audio has no effect whatsoever on the recorded audio, unlike the days when a crappy tape deck and mixer (like a portastudio) would limit the final sound quality. On playback a better interface and better speakers will simply reveal more of what's there.

An audio interface becomes a necessity when recording external audio. The audio inputs on most computers are total garbage. Yes, the H4n makes a good interface if all you will be doing is recording vocals using the onboard microphones and you're happy with the sound of those mikes.

andylaw31

Post by andylaw31 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for all the responses! Really helpful! A few follow-up questions...
  1. It seems like most people are suggesting an audio interface isn't necessary. Does that mean for my purposes the H4n won't be useful (except when recording vocals)?
  2. In order to get a clean tone with MME/DirectX as the driver type I had to have a latency of 5.8/23.2ms input/output (29ms overall). With ASIO as the driver type and setting the buffer size to 64 samples in the hardware setup/ASIO4ALL window, I can get 6.44/6.44ms (12.9ms overall) and a clean tone. Presumably this is decent enough for my use?
  3. To then get good audio quality in the monitoring, you'd recommend a DAC and decent monitors/headphones? I have a Fiio A3 but previous research suggested this is just an amplifier not a full DAC - would it do the job? I have RHA MA750 earphones and a Denon Envaya Mini speaker (as well as an older Gear4 HouseParty 5) - are these likely to give me good monitoring/better than my laptop's speakers?

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm

I think a quality interface improves the quality of the sound you are monitoring either thru cans or studiomonitors. I assume you have a Winbased Laptop. Most of them have Realtek audio chips inside, and can be fun for youtube and stuff. But for more serious things such as musicmaking, a good interface is mandatory.......

If you are tight on money, a Focusrite is a good choice - sounds OK and ain't expensive. Also the latency will be reduced with a quality interface with good ASIO drivers.

Good luck!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

andylaw31

Post by andylaw31 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:03 pm

So I decided to splash out on the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X monitors! As an update, I tested out the Novation Launchpad Pro and Launch Control XL this morning on a track I'd made with the AKAI APC Key 25 last night. I noticed one track/instrument was slightly distorted when playing live regardless of what sample rate I used in ASIO4ALL. This was resolved by plugging in and outputting to my Denon speaker but I think it might mean that I've nearly reached the limit of what my on-board sound card can manage. Does this sound about right? Perhaps with the ATH-M50X monitors the sound would be good, but I think I probably just need to get an interface. I tested the Zoom and couldn't get a clean sound using either the Zoom ASIO driver (not officially supported on Windows 10 by the looks of it) or the ASIO4ALL driver at any sample rate.

So is the Steinbverg UR12 a good option? Alternatively for £70 I could get a PreSonus AudioBox.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:31 pm

the distortion is more likely an effect of overdriving the output. once you hit the real world via any D to A converter there is nothing above 0db but distortion. 1111111111... is a flat topped waveform.
Try turning everything down and see if it still distorts.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 pm

andylaw31 wrote:I have an AKAI APC Key 25 and I'll soon have an AKAI MPD218. Probably going to get a Novation Launchpad Pro and Launch Control XL. Excluding these MIDI controllers, I don't plan to use any external instruments in the next few years (I have an electronic drum kit but I won't have access to it any time soon), though I may use my Zoom H4n to record vocals occasionally. So...
  1. Is an interface worth investing in? As I understand it, it would help with latency and playback/monitoring audio quality, but is it worth it if I'm only using MIDI tracks?
  2. The Zoom H4n can act as an audio interface, but would a dedicated but cheap audio interface (e.g. the options below) do a better job?
In terms of cheap audio interfaces, I could get:
  • a new Behringer UCA202 for £24
  • a new Lexicon Alpha for £44
  • a used 1st gen Focusrite 2i2 for £40-60
  • a used Steinberg UR12 for £65
Are any of these a good deal or do you have any better recommendations?
An audio interface only really matter if you need to get external audio into your computer for either recording or effects processing.

Low latency can be achieved on either Mac or PC however Windows requires using an ASIO4ALL driver which can be downloaded for free.

If you don't plan on recording anything, you will save a little space by not having to carry an interface.

An interface will most likely have better sound quality specs as many built-in audio is probably only 16/44.1 or 16/48 capable but it is usually hard to hear a difference anyways.