Odd VSTs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Airbase

Odd VSTs

Post by Airbase » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:17 am

I've seen this been discussed before, but couldnt find the topic.

Anyhow, I have just about everything installed right now when it comes to the big name vsts like all the Spectrasonics stuff, fm7, vanguard, absynth etc etc.
However, there must be loads of free vsts out there with good and strange sounds, that most people dont know about. So feel free to post your recommendations (include a link if you have one).

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Jezper Söderlund
Long Live Live.

borg

Post by borg » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:14 pm

www.tweakbench.com stuff is the most missed for me after switching to mac. not very cpu efficient if i remember correctly.
i also remember something like 'black box'. a kind of random FM synth. no preset saving, just a random button. extreme sounds, really nice for sampling use, not for sequencing.
http://device.antisound.net/welcome.to. ... =sig%20gen

of course, www.smartelectronix.com for fx
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

Hervé

Re: Odd VSTs

Post by Hervé » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:19 pm

Airbase wrote: I have just about everything installed right now when it comes to the big name vsts...
Learn them and make some music, you already have everything in your hands... :wink:

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:36 pm

Hervé wrote:
Airbase wrote: I have just about everything installed right now when it comes to the big name vsts...
Learn them and make some music, you already have everything in your hands... :wink:
He has everything in his hands and a friggin' empty wallet :? .
How the hell do you afford all that stuff ?
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:26 pm

my advice if you want more that the usual stuff is to think what you would want to hear and try to produce it yourself using the tools to hand

Modern VSTi make you lazy! .. investigate the more accesible sides of 'Music Concrete' and what those people had to do to get interesting sounds. I have been listening to White Noise's first album again recently (link) which was maily produced by laboriously chopping up tapes. The sounds they made are amazing and completely different to anything you hear today. Incase you dont know, Delia Derbyshire from White Noise created the Doctor Who theme and David Vorhaus spawned ORCH5 , the oldsters will know what I mean by that!

I also recommend Faust, yes, I do!

A bit of imagination and the most basic tools will beat any kind of rompler / golden age of analogue recreation.
:)

ekko

Post by ekko » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:14 pm

Airbase wrote: Anyhow, I have just about everything installed right now when it comes to the big name vsts like all the Spectrasonics stuff, fm7, vanguard, absynth etc etc.

So you have tens of thousands of dollars sunk into namebrand VSTs and you need MORE?

My guesses:

1.) You're using cracks.

2.) You're a no talent hack with nary a musical idea anywhere within your being.

3.) All of the above.

Sorry.

/not sorry.

CynicalSmile

Post by CynicalSmile » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:42 pm

ekko wrote:
Airbase wrote: Anyhow, I have just about everything installed right now when it comes to the big name vsts like all the Spectrasonics stuff, fm7, vanguard, absynth etc etc.

So you have tens of thousands of dollars sunk into namebrand VSTs and you need MORE?

My guesses:

1.) You're using cracks.

2.) You're a no talent hack with nary a musical idea anywhere within your being.

3.) All of the above.

Sorry.

/not sorry.
Geez, tough forum. :roll: I doubt the spectrasonics stuff is even cracked to begin with (gigantic sound library), and just because somebody has alot of synths/romplers they can't want different ones? I have everything this gentleman has, and way more, yet I'm always open to new gear that may inspire me. Sometimes just one patch on a new piece of gear can inspire an entirely new song that I may have never made had I not heard it. But, I guess I'm talentless as well, and should sell all but one of my synths so I can be as hardcore a musician as you.

Anyway, to answer the original poster's question, you can find many reviews and links for commercial and non-commercial VSTs over at my favorite site on the net: www.kvraudio.com. Click the "Instruments, hosts, effects, etc." box on the left and quick pick from the top, or fill out the bottom for more specific searches. Also, you can choose the "User Ratings" box on the left to read some reviews on the top rated synths/effects/hosts. I also post over there using the same forum name, and normally people over there aren't as big an ass as the person who just posted. :D

Edit: To get the ball rolling for you....Crystal is incredible, and shouldn't be free. Also, the designer of Crystal is now with the Spectrasonics team, and did extensive work with the SAGE engine used in Stylus RMX. Cheers! http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/about.html

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:01 pm

kvraudio.com

(If someone is asking for freeware stuff, they're not a very good pirate.)
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:13 pm

CynicalSmile wrote: Sometimes just one patch on a new piece of gear can inspire an entirely new song that I may have never made had I not heard it.
Right... But if your try to learn one gear/soft inside out and use it, the result will be only better, more personal without counting the rewards... Make it yours...

:D

Urbem

Post by Urbem » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:16 pm

The free version of Protoplasm Synthesizer is very usefull.

http://www.flomo-art.de/se/ProtoPlasm.html
AthlonXP 2700+, WinXP SP2, Live 5.2.2, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, MalletKat Pro, Evolution MK-449c...

CynicalSmile

Post by CynicalSmile » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:29 pm

Hervé wrote:
CynicalSmile wrote: Sometimes just one patch on a new piece of gear can inspire an entirely new song that I may have never made had I not heard it.
Right... But if your try to learn one gear/soft inside out and use it, the result will be only better, more personal without counting the rewards... Make it yours...

:D
While I agree with the notion that you should know how to use what you own, you are severely limiting your sonic potential by only owning..say..Vanguard. While Vanguard is a nice synth, I love different synths/romplers for different reasons. It is unarguable that different synths lend a different feel. Vanguard can't touch Imposcar's filters. Imposcar's pads aren't as immediately beautiful as Atmosphere's. Atmosphere isn't quite as digitally cold and mesmerizing as Rhino. Rhino doesn't have the chunkiness of lots of the basses in Trilogy. I could go on and on. Point is, even with hardware they sold expansion cards with different waveforms and patches on them allowing people to expand their sonic possibilities. Tis a wonderful era we live in with so much sonic potential all over the place in these wonderful and cost efficient soft synths and romplers...and lots of fabulous sounding synths are free! (See Crystal reference previous post).

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:28 pm

i think that a good point to be gotten out of this thread is find a few tools that work and stick with them, when you have 350 vsts in your folder it is easy to tool around and never do anything, i know. the guy that started this thread had a lot of stuff but it can be neat to see what else is out there. i have heard tracks that were made with only reason that were good. but i have heard tracks that had multiple vsts in them and outboard gear too. if you are into just piddling in the studio then a multitude of instruments and effects can help you rush through many hours of unfruitful but enjoyable time. if you are geared towards rapid production i would say learn what you got and go with it
just my 2 bits

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:21 pm

I only have 5 vstis in my folder. That's all you need really. If you want to try out something "odd", check out Foorius. It's a beast of a synth, and is not the easiest to program, because it's so complex-FM, AM, additive wavestables, 30+ filter types, 30 LFOs, 30 envelopes, crazy midi control, etc...One hell of a synth once you get the hang of it though.

It's donationware, but has an annoying nag-screen. Donate some money if you like it.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:30 pm

I really hate condescending bastards. There seems to a lot of them in this forum. Stop judging people by your own limited norms.

Now to the question: For weird and wonderful effects (mostly) head to www.smartelectronix.com.

conny

Post by conny » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:11 am

Angstrom wrote: I also recommend Faust, yes, I do!
Oh, so glad to hear.
Have the black album and the striped...

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/