Dummy Clips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
WozzZ

Dummy Clips

Post by WozzZ » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 am

I have a group of Dummy Clips controlling banks and presets of plugins. When ever I am somewhere else in the session and I trigger these clips from a hardware midi controller the session moves visually to where these clips are. Is there a way to make the activation of the clips remain "silent" and hidden in session?

Also If I press on a dummy clip to change a preset it puts ableton into play mode and other clips start playing. Is there any way to stop these dummy clips triggering play mode?

Thanks and Warm Regards
Woz

yur2die4

Re: Dummy Clips

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:32 pm

In Preferences there is a select on launch option.

When you launch clips it automatically selects the channel and scene of the launched clip by default.

When this is off, you can trigger clips remotely and your view and controls won't jump to the channel of the clip.

WozzZ

Post by WozzZ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. The tip has worked for the visual aspect of the problem. Is there any way that you can trigger the dummy clips without starting the play engine? I would like to be able to press the dummy clips without it starting play on other clips.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:56 pm

There is no way in Live to play a clip of any kind without launching the transport.
Maybe this would work : place the dummy clips on empty scenes and use the scene launch buttons to launch them, instead of the clips themselves ? This would stop all other clips (if you keep the stop buttons of course).
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Xenophile

Post by Xenophile » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:28 am

Is there a way to put a command at the end of each clip to stop the transport? I want to do the same thing with dummy clips to call up my patches, which are often fairly complicated layers/splits with multiple keyboard controllers driving multiple software and hardware synths and samplers that I will play entirely live. No playback of any kind except perhaps some controller or effects automation specific to the dummy clip that I just launched.

I've found that when the transport keeps running, I'm prone to getting audio glitches, but if I can stop the transport, the instruments seem to play flawlessly.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina, mid-2014. Focusrite 18i20. Ivory, Kontakt, Omnisphere...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:55 pm

I do this with m4l.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

arretx

Post by arretx » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:07 pm

What platform are you on?
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:38 pm

...regarding presets/preset management: have you checked out http://pp-labs.net/wp/pptc/ ?...i recently discovered this m4l pack (it's available via isotonik studios) and think it's absolutely awesome!!!
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:49 am

WozzZ wrote:I
Also If I press on a dummy clip to change a preset it puts ableton into play mode and other clips start playing. Is there any way to stop these dummy clips triggering play mode?

Thanks and Warm Regards
Woz
The meat and potatoes way of doing this is to use "stop buttons" strategically. If you want to only trigger one clip and not have any other clips play, then give that clip its own entire scene, with stop buttons in every other track (of that scene) so that whenever you launch the SCENE that holds that single clip, it automatically stops all other clips in other tracks (or in your situation, the other clips would never have even been playing in the first place). transport will start, but you can't avoid that i guess.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:16 am

You should look at launch mode, if you set it to Gate then the clip will only play for as long as the launch button is held down, it won't stop the transport however as once it's running it's running...

With M4L you could have a device that stops the transport when the current clip ends, our Follow device has this as one of the options built into it.

Cheers
D