Using M4L to show and hide plugin

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
newdendrite

Using M4L to show and hide plugin

Post by newdendrite » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm using the Ableton Live AU device for Kontakt on several MIDI tracks. Each track has a different Kontakt multi-rack of synths. I need to quickly show and hide the plugin window for the active MIDI clip during a performance, and the tiny wrench icon does not work well for this. The keyboard shortcut in Ableton does not work properly until the window has already been shown.

Is there a way to control the show/hide function for plugin windows with MaxforLive? Ideally, I'd like to detect the triggering of a MIDI clip and automatically show the window.

Thanks for your help,
Michael

S4racen

Re: Using M4L to show and hide plugin

Post by S4racen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Have a look in the Live Object Model, if it's there it's possible....

Cheers
D

newdendrite

Post by newdendrite » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:25 pm

I've tried to puzzle out this information from the LOM docs, but it has gotten the best of me. There is a class for device parameters, but it's unclear whether the target function is controlled by a parameter, and unclear to me how to discover all the relevant parameters for a given device. Exploring with LOM.Navigator has not yielded anything that appears relevant, but I don't know if I am looking in all the right places.

Some of the terminology seems a bit obscure, and I haven't found an in-depth tutorial

Thanks for the guidance, though. Any hints toward a good tutorial for LOM would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Michael

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:17 pm

I don't believe it's possible.

Cheers
D

newdendrite

Post by newdendrite » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks -- I really appreciate the help.

Best regards,
Michael

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:33 am

The options under Live's "Preferences - Look & Feel - Plugin Windows" don't do it for you?
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

newdendrite

Post by newdendrite » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 pm

No, the options in Preferences don't seem to cover opening a plugin window every time the plugin device is visible. This is what is needed in a performance.

I have "Auto-open plugin in custom editor" set, expecting that this would open the plugin every time its MIDI clip appeared in the lower panel. But it only opens a plugin window the first time the AU device dropped into the clip. If the set is saved and reopened, the window no longer opens automatically.

Best regards,
Michael

newdendrite

Post by newdendrite » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 am

This provided a good example for a more compact version that is useful. It does not yet open the plugin when the clip is displayed, but it does give me a larger button for showing the plugin, making performance easier. I still need to discover how to generate a bang when a clip is opened.

Thanks very much,
Michael