Ableton is taking too much GB space how to manage this?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hamilton_thompson

Ableton is taking too much GB space how to manage this?

Post by Hamilton_thompson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:36 am

Hello, my ableton 9 suite is taking too much storage space i just bought a Samsung 250GB T3 External SSD. How do i tackle this problem? any video or website links that show the process step by step of solving this. my main concern is just the licence of my ableton 9 being safe, having transfered my files on a portable external ssd.

Stromkraft

Re: Ableton is taking too much GB space how to manage this?

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Hamilton_thompson wrote: having transfered my files on a portable external ssd.
If you by this mean project folders and set files you created yourself then this is not really Live itself. Did you also move your User Library to this external drive? What about the packs folder? Both these are safe to move, though I'm not familiar with using external disks as I have a 1TB SSD and only choose to place these folders where I want them and point Live to them (preferences).
Make some music!

Hamilton_thompson

Post by Hamilton_thompson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:37 am

Sound packs are the most that are taking up space, so you mean i can move sound packs on a portable ssd? got any links with tutorials?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:48 am

Hamilton_thompson wrote:Sound packs are the most that are taking up space, so you mean i can move sound packs on a portable ssd? got any links with tutorials?
the Ableton library locations can be found in the Live preferences. copy them to your external drive and point Live at them. leave the originals on your internal drive until you are sure that everything is working properly...

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:17 am