Bigger monitors ? or just add a subwofer ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Bigger monitors ? or just add a subwofer ?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:38 am

I have a pair of fostex PM0.5d( http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs ... 0.5d.shtml ), im really happy with them on the mid/high frequencies.. but of course the lows are missing...
I was thinking of buying new bigger monitors, like the yamaha hs8's... those show better whats going on, on the low end...you dont feel the bass like in the club.. but
you get an idea of whats going on.

But I wonder if instead of buying a new pair of hs8's i buy a decent subwoofer like this one: https://www.thomann.de/de/adam_sub_7_pr ... xcQAvD_BwE whichh would give me a better idea of the low end as that is what im missing?

What do you think is the beter option? a new pair of bigger monitors like the yamaha hs8's? or add to my current fostex a subwoofer?

Thanks.

Richie Witch

Re: Bigger monitors ? or just add a subwofer ?

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am

How big is your room? Is it acoustically treated?

Generally speaking, I think the size of your monitors have more to do with the volume of the room--i.e. how much air do you need to move to get the sound to fill the room? Those 5's you're using would sound pretty small in anything but a bedroom sized studio, probably nothing bigger than around 10' x 12'.

The HS8s on the other hand can move a lot of air and are bested suited to a large studio. I have the HS7s, and they work really well in my space, which is about 12' x 27'.

If you're looking for the kind of rumbling/thumping bass you hear in the club, a subwoofer is probably the way to go, but while you're at it, look at the size of the room and see if larger monitors are appropriate too.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Tweaking Knobs wrote: What do you think is the better option?
Subpac.
Make some music!

StewD

Post by StewD » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Tweaking Knobs wrote: What do you think is the better option?
Subpac.
Never used one but you'd have to think this is a really good option/suggestion.
As soon as you add more energy to the room, whether bigger monitors or a subwoofer, you're also increasing the effect of acoustic anomalies.

Because you wear the Subpac the room acoustic are not an issue.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:12 pm

I actually own a subpac s2..

subpc is awesome.. but

you need a really big chair so that you are not on the edge of the chair... which is super unconfortable...
its still in my opinion too bulky.. the controls are all outside in that control box..
cables between your chair and seat are annoying.. i dont have blue tooth becasue i have a pc desktop and it doesnt have blutooth...

Id prefer the m2.. still bulky but if you are used to standing is cool.. plus your body dont have to be all the time touching the back of the seat...

i hope the next gen is more compact... then id get the m2..

for now i have a basslet.. it basically gives you the same information.. just not as hard and in your wrist.. i actually like the basslet more.. and more importantly i do use it....

ill just get the hs8 and use the basslet.. when next gen subpac comes ill check them out.. thx

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:21 pm

Sub can be a benefit. I use one connected through a persons central station so I can easily switch it off. It really helps when mixing mono bass and to make sure your not too heavy in the bass. It's not "needed" tho