Valhalla Room vs Vintage

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mwlad17

Valhalla Room vs Vintage

Post by mwlad17 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:09 pm

So...I've tried (somewhat successfully) to work with the Live stock reverb, but it seems to give a weird color to the sound even on low Dry:Wet settings or as a return. I have heard some great things about Valhalla products, but I'm wondering what the opinions on their Room vs Vintage products to start out with. Maybe eventually I'll have both, I was leaning towards Vintage (a local producer said it was legit his favorite plugin) but wondered if Room was better to start.

arretx

Re: Valhalla Room vs Vintage

Post by arretx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Aren't there demos you can put to the test?
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

mwlad17

Post by mwlad17 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:10 pm

I didn't see any on their website...

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:26 am

they have demos. each plugin has a "TRY THE DEMO" tab...

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:35 pm

I searched the web and most people say Room is the best day to day reverb, whereas Vintage is good for special effects in particular situations, i.e. it's more for augmenting sounds like a flanger, or a phaser. I hope that makes sense. Certainly, the instant I tried both of them, I heard a huge improvement over Ableton stock reverb. Yet another case where I regret wasting my time on Ableton stock plugins. But of course Valhalla uses more CPU.

But Room can do amazing special effects too. Have a listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cIHFlUtQWc

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:20 pm

mwlad17 wrote:So...I've tried (somewhat successfully) to work with the Live stock reverb, but it seems to give a weird color to the sound even on low Dry:Wet settings or as a return. I have heard some great things about Valhalla products, but I'm wondering what the opinions on their Room vs Vintage products to start out with. Maybe eventually I'll have both, I was leaning towards Vintage (a local producer said it was legit his favorite plugin) but wondered if Room was better to start.
I think both sounds very nice, but I chose Eareverb instead. I haven't heard any room reverb that is more "invisible", yet removal is clearly noticed. To me that's an important aspect of the convincing part. I love subtle effects I can't live without.

Now there's also a Eareverb 2.

I'm not going to claim either brand sounds better, because this is probably a taste thing, but anyone looking for a great reverb should do themselves a favour and at least check out these offerings from eaReckon.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:38 pm

I think Room is more versatile and can sound more "natural", verb has more character and can be kind of Lofi in 70's mode.

I love both but I prefer to use Vintage.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 am

My vote is for Room. It's my go-to reverb, the only reverb I ever really need.

I also own Vintage Verb. I like it a lot... but I don't actually use it much, because in most cases I prefer to use Room.

on a silly (because I can't back it up with real, technical info) / subjective level, Room sounds more 3 dimensional to me. I get a bigger, broader image with it -- to my ears anyway.

The one Pro I see of VVV over Room is that it has less knobs, and therefore easier to use and easier to understand. some of the extra knobs in Room aren't super intuitive and result in a steeper learner curve.

-Michael
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:28 pm

both are good.

use VVV if you want to hear the verb, use room if you don't.

plate is pretty good if you want to hear the verb too - i prefer it to VVV even when it's tuned right, it's my favorite of the valhallas.

marlonzuri

Post by marlonzuri » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:54 pm

I would go with room because it is more of an all purpose reverb whereas VVV will not work a lot of the time. I can understand why your friend might like VVV so much, because it does sound great, however it has a fairly specific use.

mwlad17

Post by mwlad17 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:46 pm

thanks guys and girls! I'm probably going to go with Room then to start...CPU shouldn't be a huge problem I actually just got one of the new iMac's (the 5 year old MacBook Air wasn't cutting it any more haha) and that's helped a ton with processing...otherwise I can just freeze/bounce the tracks to audio then mix the reverb to taste

mwlad17

Post by mwlad17 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Got Room. Can't believe I just stuck with the stock reverb for this long. It's just so much more clean-sounding than ableton's. Even if you put it on the track lane itself (instead of a return) at 100% mix it sounds WAY better than the regular reverb. At $50 it's a steal.