Native Instruments just brought the heat (new hardware)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: Native Instruments just brought the heat (new hardware)

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:07 am

beats me wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: Prediction: It will happen again and again despite any snide remarks, because that's how NI makes business.
That's how most computer based companies do business. At some point they stop supporting an old OS or old hardware.
RME :mrgreen:
Make some music!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:14 am

Stromkraft wrote:
beats me wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: Prediction: It will happen again and again despite any snide remarks, because that's how NI makes business.
That's how most computer based companies do business. At some point they stop supporting an old OS or old hardware.
RME :mrgreen:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... e-audio-6/

Was released in 2011, still sold now, still supported now.

Apart from Kore, what examples are there that this will be dead weight any time soon???

Maschine MK1 is still supported and that was 2009

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:26 am

jestermgee wrote: Apart from Kore, what examples are there that this will be dead weight any time soon???
I don't know about dead weight, but my trust for Native Instruments hardware is gone though I'd love to be lured back with quality products and a good track record.

Native Instruments abandon older OSes prematurely compared to other companies, are prone to blaming other companies, like Ableton and Apple, when there are serious issues with only their products. They tie their own controllers to software versions instead of using drivers at least as an option. And if they use drivers I'm not expecting them to keep updating them unless they can keep selling new units of hardware.

They are not very good at communicating their abandonments either and just expect their customers to swallow it all.

The Maschine UI is still a circus! And the work flow…

Their software is great, however! OK, the preset systems aren't, but I can live with that I think. I can forgive them as they make great software that sounds great, but I won't be getting any new NI hardware soon.
Make some music!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 am

Yeah i'm certainly not defending them, they are money making machines and their marketing is all aimed at that. There are discussions right now about the complete lack of attention paid to existing MK1 owners of the Komplete Kontrol keyboards with no discounts offered for users that would like to upgrade.

I do have to add though that I purchased KU8 years ago direct from NI at FULL PRICE (stupid I know) But I really needed the instruments at the time and exactly 1 week later it was 50% off. I was upset yes and wrote to NI asking if there was anything they could do and they were kind enough to give me a 50% refund which I used to upgrade to K10U when it came out.

Sometimes in the fast paced world of tech things change and they have to make a decision to pull support or production and I there are things they could be doing way better but I wouldn't say anything they release will be abandoned any time soon. To me watching for the last 10 years they have been figuring out how to get from software to hardware and have released these things as separate products BUT we users want it ALL and want it to all work together so they have to adapt to make that happen.

In another 5 years we will see probably a Komplete Kontrol Maschine Jam "all-in-one" monstrosity that will do it all if it will make them a $$$. Then their maschine software will be updated to be a full on DAW and it will start to compete directly with Live and others.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:51 am

Stromkraft wrote:
jestermgee wrote: Apart from Kore, what examples are there that this will be dead weight any time soon???
I don't know about dead weight, but my trust for Native Instruments hardware is gone though I'd love to be lured back with quality products and a good track record.

Native Instruments abandon older OSes prematurely compared to other companies, are prone to blaming other companies, like Ableton and Apple, when there are serious issues with only their products. They tie their own controllers to software versions instead of using drivers at least as an option. And if they use drivers I'm not expecting them to keep updating them unless they can keep selling new units of hardware.

They are not very good at communicating their abandonments either and just expect their customers to swallow it all.

Their software is great, however! OK, the preset systems aren't, but I can live with that I think. I can forgive them as they make great software that sounds great, but I won't be getting any new NI hardware soon.

Here's a good video of what it can do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECBgxAowig

They started out as a software company and then started jumping into hardware. Early on they probably realized the hardware/software mistakes they made and clumsily fumbled through it. They clearly abandoned Kore for Komplete Kontrol also tied into Maschine. Growing pains they could have handled better.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 am

beats me wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

Here's a good video of what it can do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECBgxAowig

They started out as a software company and then started jumping into hardware. Early on they probably realized the hardware/software mistakes they made and clumsily fumbled through it. They clearly abandoned Kore for Komplete Kontrol also tied into Maschine. Growing pains they could have handled better.
Thanks, I always keep an eye on what they do, even as I feel they need to do some new hires.

I rejoice every day Komplete 9 runs like a Japanese train in macOS 10.12 on old hardware. That's amazing!
Make some music!

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:12 am

Ah yes I see this has been moved to the lounge because it has nothing to do with music and audio production. Obviously. :lol:
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Moved back, of course this belongs in the music and production forum.
Ableton Forum Administrator