saving disabled - again

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
slatepipe

saving disabled - again

Post by slatepipe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:45 pm

:x

this has happened again, is there a better way of dealing with this than uninstalling and then reinstalling the whole damn thing? i've owned MFL for years, and it's a right pain in the arse when this trial thing pops up. :x

cheers

slatepipe

Re: saving disabled - again

Post by slatepipe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:29 pm

after i posted this i remembered an email i had from support regarding this. so i sorted it now, reinstall not required

cheers

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:32 pm

What was the solution?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:40 pm

I found that re-authing Ableton will get you a bit of time with the app, about a day if you are lucky but often I've had to re-auth 3 times in a night.

TBH I just stopped using Max editor as anytime I tried to create something serious the file would trigger this error.
I know people love to leap to the defence of Max against perceived "attackers" and say "it never fails for me" ... but this is a real issue, a real bug that is tracked by Ableton. It relates to the Max copy protection and is apparently quite difficult for them to track down.

The closest me and Ableton support got is that - any time Max starts, or closes (as a client app) and goes looking for system resources (files / ports / etc) then that means The Cycling license manager is running.
Several of my Max apps relied on javascript @includes, if these closed too slowly a system error was filed. When the app (Ableton and Cycling)tries to start again phase 2 of the FUBAR begins. Max and Ableton enter a race condition of licensing and the max license flags itself as "invalid".

from memory. I could dig out the support tickets but sadly it was just eating more of my time. I simply did what I needed to do in Python instead.
I've not opened the Max editor in over a year because if I do it will de-authorise itself

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:44 pm

hi - this is from the email they sent me :

"You don't necessarily need to uninstall all instances of Max but you have to delete the file that holds the registration info.

For Windows:

type %appdata% into the address bar of Windows explorer and the go to

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Cycling'74
and delete the Max X Preferences folder for all versions found there and also the Max Authorization folder if present

For MacOs:

To access Users/[Your Username]/Library hold the “alt ?” key and choose “Go to Library” in the Go menu of Finder. Then go to

MacHD:/Users/[Username]/Library/Application Support/Cycling'74/

and delete the Max X and the Max Authorization folders there.

This should actually do the trick"

update : i just opened a patch and i can select save from the menu, but it doesnt work, and the green warning sign at top right is still there, saying "TRIAL NOT STARTED - SAVING DISABLED". so it seems that the instructions they gave me above don't work.

looks like another sodding uninstall and reinstall :evil: :evil: :roll: :x

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Did you re-auth from Ableton preferences?
that's usually what's required after deleting the old auth file

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:Did you re-auth from Ableton preferences?

nope, im just downloading MFL again from my account. how do you re-auth from the prefs?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:38 pm

slatepipe wrote:
Angstrom wrote:Did you re-auth from Ableton preferences?

nope, im just downloading MFL again from my account. how do you re-auth from the prefs?
just press this button, it will check your local auth file for all ableton licenses and update them if required. In this case the only required one will be the SNAFU'ed Max license.

it wont waste an authorisation on Live itself, or any of the packs ... it will just notice that Max is fucked as usual and re-apply the license.
they have a problem where there's a handshake between the Live licensing system and the Cycling74 licensing system. Cycling74 assumes theft if the handshake isn't performed quickly enough, then it sets a flag. Pressing the re-auth button in Ableton prefs will re-set that flag from Abletons side ... but be prepared for Cycling to fumble it again next time it closes too slowly, or attempts to access a resource when it cant access the live licenser.

All "facts" in this post are filtered by my bad memory and poor initial understanding

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:14 pm

ok, well i did the authorisation thing you mention above. mfl is working again now and i can save but it still says TRIAL when i open up a patch to edit. which makes me think that it's going to give me another 30 days until it craps out on the saving thing again.

is anyone from ableton reading this who can give any advice on sorting out this issue? :x

cheers

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:10 pm

The guy I talked to at Ableton support last year (Will) ... he had the same problem!!!
So I'm guessing they do not have a solution

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Angstrom wrote:The guy I talked to at Ableton support last year (Will) ... he had the same problem!!!
So I'm guessing they do not have a solution

:x that's f**king comedy :x

:D