macOS High Sierra compatibility (release)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

macOS High Sierra compatibility (release)

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:10 am

Considering the new diskformat (APFS), as well as normal caution, upgrading to macOS 10.13 "High Sierra", getting released on 25 September, is not something to do willy-nilly without info-gathering, reflection and some planning.

Often your strategy will involve waiting for updates from you most important software developers, such as plug-ins, hardware drivers and so on.

There's already a beta thread, but I suggest we can focus on sharing info and discussing advantages and issues with this new macOS release in this separate discussion, when appropriate.

This thread at macOSaudio.com forums will list news about macOS High Sierra compatibility.

As will this list at Sweetwater, that asked the listed companies for info.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

oblique strategies

Re: macOS High Sierra compatibility (release)

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:17 pm

May want to hold off on updating just now:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/25/ma ... erability/

macOS High Sierra Vulnerability Allegedly Allows Malicious Third-Party Apps to Access Plaintext Keychain Data

"macOS High Sierra, released to the public today, could be impacted by a major security flaw that could allow a hacker to steal the usernames and passwords of accounts stored in Keychain.

As it turns out, unsigned apps on macOS High Sierra (and potentially earlier versions of macOS) can allegedly access the Keychain info and display plaintext usernames and passwords without a user's master password.

Security researcher and ex-NSA analyst Patrick Wardle tweeted about the vulnerability early this morning and shared a video of the exploit in action.

For this vulnerability to work, a user needs to download malicious third-party code from an unknown source, something Apple actively discourages with warnings about apps downloaded outside of the Mac App Store or from non-trusted developers. In fact, Apple does not even allow apps from non-trusted developers to be downloaded without explicitly overriding security settings.

Apple has not yet responded to requests for comment about the potential vulnerability."

steko

Post by steko » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 pm

Last edited by steko on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:31 am

Well - live 64 bit (just realised I had 9.7.2 still on my mac) did actually start up - eventually after rescanning all the plugins and some brief playing with it hasnt caused it to crash yet. The upgrade was quite quick and thus far painless.

I can afford to take the risk as Im using my PC more these days.
Nothing to see here - move along!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 am

steko wrote:Better wait a few months anyway...
Yeah right up until a month before the next update is released and back in the same boat it seems...

Not being a Mac user it's weird to me that a new OS update creates so many issues, like so many things need to change that it can create such issues. I've had big warning notices from a number of vendors saying do NOT update until we do more testing. I'm sure it never use to be such a big deal years ago did it? Maybe I just never noticed.

Yet here is my windows PC with constant updates from Windows 98 to Windows 10 and rarely ever a compatibility issue between updates or complete OS releases (let's just never mention Vista).

Not wanting to start an OS war, just puzzling that things can completely break from one update to the next.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 am

To be fair, it's REALLY rare that happens when updates come though. There's always the big to do about a new OS release, but I've always updated day of release and never had a single issue.

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:48 am

I'm using Ableton Live 9.74b3 with macOs10.13 and each time I start it the system asks for a password as "Ableton Live tries to change something"

anyone else has this issue? I think it appeared after installing java6-runtime (I think needed for max)

cids

Post by cids » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:32 am

Live 9.7.4 works fine with High Sierra.
verstaerker wrote:I'm using Ableton Live 9.74b3 with macOs10.13 and each time I start it the system asks for a password as "Ableton Live tries to change something"

anyone else has this issue? I think it appeared after installing java6-runtime (I think needed for max)
Please try testing the published 9.7.4 version instead of the beta...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:29 am

verstaerker wrote:I'm using Ableton Live 9.74b3 with macOs10.13 and each time I start it the system asks for a password as "Ableton Live tries to change something"

it's caused by an M4L device in my default-template - I removed it. Now it's ok at startup. But as soon as I load an M4L device the same password request comes.

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:50 am

cids wrote:Live 9.7.4 works fine with High Sierra.

i have my doubts ... but I'll try that ...
updating M4L didn't help

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:27 am

verstaerker wrote:
cids wrote:Live 9.7.4 works fine with High Sierra.

i have my doubts ... but I'll try that ...
updating M4L didn't help
as expected installing the official 9.7.4 didn't change anything

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 am

installing the latest java-runtime also doesn't change anything

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:13 pm

all my M4L plugins don't work anymore
Last edited by verstaerker on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.